The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #46
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Clean your kitchen Miss Dana!
(sez me who has a sparkly clean kitchen solely because I live with Mum)

I only measure (weigh) for a new recipe.
After that I guess.
Oh, and baked goods like scones/ cakes/ bread etc, where it's about a specific reaction between ingredients rather than to-taste. But that's because I don't bake often enough.

I used to have a set of US measuring cups, because I used to cook recipes from the internet on a regular basis. Lost in one of the last three panicked house moves, sadly. But as I said, I can always look them up.

Food, the international language of nom nom nom.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #47
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

When a recipe suggests measuring in cups, I just use the same size cup for all the measurements. I have an old crockery set that I've put most of the plates in the 'if/when we have a big party we'll need these' cupboard, but I keep the teacups in my cooking cupboard to use as measurers. They're pretty close to a standard cup measure anyway.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #48
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
lol Not so often these days:P But I used to be a pretty good cook when i had a reason to and a kitchen to do it in.
I assume you still have a stomick, Dana, so you still have a reason to cook ...
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #49
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

No. I have a reason to heat up microwave meals or toast :P Very occasionally I will actually 'cook'. Usually if someone else is at my house (eg. mum or J).
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #50
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
No. I have a reason to heat up microwave meals or toast :P Very occasionally I will actually 'cook'. Usually if someone else is at my house (eg. mum or J).
So ... no tastebuds then, poor you !
Old 11-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #51
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have tastebuds...just not enough to outweigh the general shittiness of the cooking experience on account of what I laughingly call my 'kitchen'.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #52
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

laughter

Please be patient with my long post. It is somewhat of an awareness journey and I can't explain it in a few words.

I've been reading this title and I really wanted to honor S.G.s contribution but this whole time I had been drawing a blank in my mind.

I wanted there to be something and I was disturbed there wasn't anything forthcoming.

and so I've been giving it a little thought, about that much
* showing thumb and forefinger in about an inch gap*

Not very much but feeling bad about myself for not coming up with anything, not for the sake of others but wondering wtf I am doing if I can't dig deeper than the surface crap.

Without giving this thread anymore thought to my dilemma of not thinking of anything to say I decide to entertain myself by reading some of the cellar.

So here I am, off line reading a cellar philosophy thread. It was the freedom thread and that about burned my eyeballs off and I laughed and mused the whole way through.
It was so disorderly and passionate and frustrating.

That done I went searching the net for other philosophy subjects or forums. The first one I came to was an actual philosophy site. I am reading through the first few posts and I notice everyone is so orderly and nice. "Oh look" I think to myself."They are so orderly and nice"

Then crickets chirping. Literally dead pan.

So I'm reading their thread and I am thinking, "Is it the lack of dysfunction that bores me?"

I don't think it is the dysfunction here that attracts me. I think that was dysfunction was the main thing causing me to draw a blank.

I don't think I am consciously drawing a comparison at this point but my subconscious is doing double time because little did I know it the next time I read a cellar post I would have an 'ah-ha' moment.

So back to my story.

I go back in to the cellar philosophy archive and read and someone posted something that made me chuckle and crack up.

AH HA! that's it! It's the spontaneous off the cuff remarks. The odd ball comments, bits of humor and interpersonal spark. Those little gems you find that keep you coming back looking for more.

There are so many strong personalities here no wonder there are so many clashes. Everyone is unique and makes up the whole dynamic and that is what makes this a special place. Without Henri, or classic or lookout or ph, or shawnee or Merc, or lj or jinx or clod....oh yeah.. I am remembering as I type. It was clod's post that got me chuckling and gave me my ah ha moment. It was about the stepping on the conjoined twins foot to see if the other felt pain. haha That still cracks me up.

At that moment I knew what the cellar ever did for me was to give a chuckle, or bruce's off handed remarks knocking me from my chair or shawnee's funnies that leave me awestruck, Henri's knuckle biter posts, Merc's softer side,whip's concern of the free world, joe poet,UT's wisdom and restraint,zen's goodwill,Wolf's Constance, etc...etc..and a dozen other people who make this a truly special place to be.

Thank you all for being the wild conglomeration that you are but especially for the constant laughs.

Last edited by skysidhe; 11-29-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: not enough forum space to add everyone I want to
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #53
Juniper
I know, right?

I like the Cellar because you all make me seem positively normal by comparison.

I should say, it's because you make it OK to be weird. Because this is the one place I never have to worry about "dumbing down" anything.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #54
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Lovely post SG, just like you.

And yes, Juni. I feel that "weird" is "normal" here, and "normal" people can GTFO.

And I appreciate the intellegence and wit free of a superiority complex. I'm sure this place is filled with geniuses, but dimwits like me are welcome too.

And the SINCERITY amazes me. A new car? Seriously? For someone we've never met?

Nothing goes unnoticed or unfelt around here, and it makes me feel honored to be a small part of it. Thanks guys for letting me.
*off to grab a tissue*

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #55
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Inspiring SG - definitely one of your best posts.

ok - I've been thinking about this for quite some time also. I too, have been struggling to really find an answer, if there is one. . .

I'll just start rambling and see what happens . . .

In no particular order -

The Cellar has brought from the brink of insanity to the clearest of cogent thought. It has infuriated me, made me laugh out loud, left me in utter awe and yes even tear up more than once. I have gained some insight into the views of people, places and things that I would probably never have had the opportunity to hear, see or think about.

I have been both ridiculed and supported on a variety of comments things. I have been proven both right and wrong on a variety of subjects I've had my opinions altered in some cases and galvanized in others - sometimes by the same people.

I have been educated about many things. I'm constantly amazed at the breadth and depth of knowledge from the "regulars" here. I couldn't begin to list the many topics that we have "experts" here as consistent posters.

Additionally, the way that most freely reach out to others in need. I can speak from personal experience on this. It has been an overwhelmingly emotional experience for me at times. Those who know, understand. Lastly, I have had my belief in humanity challenged and yet repeatedly renewed from many of you. The help, concern and advice so freely offered has been inspiring to see and at times be a part of.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #56
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

bravo classic
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #57
atrw93
Questionist

Historic update

Memo to Tony S.

I recently unearthed my autographed copy of
Dinty Moore's book including his visit and interviews
at your home for a nice summer cook-out.

As a curious question: How many of those who were
there that day are still around and how many still visit
THE CELLAR?

Thanks for keeping up the good work,

Al (atrw93)
atrw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #58
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
bravo classic
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrw93 View Post
Memo to Tony S.

I recently unearthed my autographed copy of Dinty Moore's book including his visit and interviews at your home for a nice summer cook-out.
Pics or it never happened :P
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #59
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Handful at best and that was 16 years ago. I think there are 5 current Dwellars who were onboard at that time.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #60
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I think I was too young to join the cellar...that many years ago. That's a strange thought.

I am sure I can't be as eloquent as the rest of you guys, but here are my thoughts:

The cellar for me has been a social outlet in times of seclusion (Kansas and the mountains come to mind.) It's been a way of making friends...though I am horribly slow at it and incredibly shy in real life. It has been a place to bounce off ideas and get good, honest answers from intelligent people. It has been a place for me to experience some of the deepest, saddest moments as well as some of the most triumphant joys through the writings of others. I feel like I know you all so well, and hopefully you know me pretty well, also.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote