The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/27/2003: U of K uterus

This was covered on Fark, which I try not to duplicate, but again in this case, the photo is so mind-boggling that I just had to share it.

The organ shown above is in fact the uterus, and the letters you see "uk" were purposefully etched there by the surgeon, using a cauterizing gun, just before he removed the whole thing in a planned, normal hysterectomy.

The surgeon was a U of Kentucky fan, you see, and wanted to indicate the depths of his fandom during the procedure. And he wasn't exactly ashamed of his technique; he gave a videotaped copy of the operation to the patient.

On Fark, 95% of responses were negative, saying this was a total and complete outrage. The other 5% said, eh, what's the big deal if he was removing it anyway. One person made a great point, which is that the surgeon probably had to test the equipment anyway. Hey, maybe a good long test line steadied his hand for the procedure. Like taking a test shot in golf.

And most certainly, doctors and people heavily involved in the medical process see it much differently than the rest of us. They deal with it all day and have a quite different perspective than do the rest of us.

Certainly a different perspective than the husband, who claims in their pending lawsuit that the whole thing has led to a "loss of companionship". I guess he's not a U of K fan.

full story
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote