The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I thank everybody for your thoughts. You are touching. You are important to me.

It makes me wish I would have shared more of her story during her life.

Of course, what I would have shared would have been my life, reflected in her story. I guess that's what it's really all about, to some degree...?

When I miss her now, it's when she would have been there... and isn't. When I finish a dinner she liked the smell of, and when she would have loved to lick that plate. When I get under the covers and there isn't a little dog wanting to get under the covers too. When I hear a noise that maybe she would have created -- but no, it's just a random noise, not the Boston Terrier snort behind the corner.

It's not fair to reflect on this now and not have reflected on it so much more when she was around.

The girl was headed downhill for so long that I was ready. Strong enough to handle the emergency euthanasia and still hold it together to manage the plumbing emergency that night. I really did get to have an extra six months with her. And that was what was beautiful. The "extra inning" thread, that was really what it was all about. Not this one.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #32
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Yes, it's about the life you shared. You were both very blessed. A loved companion will always be near you, in your thoughts and in your memories.
Hugs, Tony.

Sent by thought transference.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #33
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I know from my own experience that the extra innings is a precious thing. Vets are truly amazing. They gave my lad extra time and I was and am deeply grateful for every minute of that time.

I know you didn't talk a lot about Pearl before all this started, but you talked of her enough, and posted pictures enough, that I felt a connection to her, as a loved dwellar pet. I feel priveleged to have been able to share some of her last journey with you. She was a special little dog.

This time last year I was heading to where you are now at. And all of you here, all my friends, helped me immeasurably to cope and to find the points of light in a very dark time. It helped somehow, to know that his passing was marked by so many people beyond his immediate pack. And even that someone in a whole other country, who had never met him in the fur, felt moved enough to cry salt tears for him.

Pearl touched so many people without even knowing. She was and always will be in some way a part of the Cellar. More so than most because she was your baby. In a way, like the landlord's dog in a favourite bar, she was The Cellar Dog. And she will be missed by us all.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #34
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I still think of Shila (our beagle) every day when I come home from work. I still expect to see her at the door wagging her whole body.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I am so sorry for your loss. I am even more sorry you had to endure the "cough" I was hoping you would not have had to go through that.
The stress part is over, the emptiness is just starting. Only you will know when that will be over
My thoughts are with you, and while I know words do not help much on the bad days, on the good days, they mean more than some can imagine. If you ever want to talk, please let me know. I know several of us have gone through this same loss in the past few years, and I know every one of us would be willing to help someone else get through it too!
Keep strong and remember all the good things about Pearl. I know from reading about her, there is lots!
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It was a great favor you did for me, Jaydaan, to share the symptom that would be her final sign of life.

To die of a heart that was too big was a beautiful, final symbol of what Pearl stood for.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #37
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

That's a beautiful way to put it Tony.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Having been distracted by the holidays I just caught this thread. Sorry to hear this, even though it was expected by all of us, it's still sad.