The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #1426
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just started Koontz's "Shattered", just finished "The Good Guy". "Odd Thomas", "Forever Odd", and "Brother Odd" all were great, as, I'm sure "Odd Hours" will be, also. (All by Dean Koontz)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #1427
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The Consolations of Philosophy - Alain de Button (hilarious)

all of my Scott Cunninghams
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #1428
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The God Delusion (audiobook)- Richard Dawkins, read by the author.

Really far more entertaining than I had expected. I have loved his books about evolution but was a little leary of this one. I was worried it wuold be too polemic to be entertaining. Quite the reverse. he dedicates it at the start to Douglas Adams, and the whole thing is done with a nice twist of humour and the style is a gentle nod to the Hitchhiker's guide.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #1429
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Joined the lie-ber-erry!
Woohooo!

Now I can participate in this thread. My absence is not because I don't read, it's just because I am ashamed at rereading so much of the time. 15 books, 3 weeks, wow.

Okay - six of them are "teen" books. Three by my favourite author as a teen - and one now endorsed by Neil Gaiman - Diana Wynne Jones. The woman writes a cracking narrative and twists that make you go back to reread because you know you missed a clue somewhere along the line. The others by Garth Nix - not as good (and a suspiciously high output in a short space of time) but good enough for a low day when a Booker Award winner would stall me.

I'm waiting to afford The Ask and the Answer, the next book by Patrick Ness. Author of *The Knife of Never Letting Go*. A crossover teen/ adult book that knocked me out of alignment. And one I would challenge anyone who denigrates my reading tastes not to marvel at (I'll lend to anyone who asks, if you're interested). It has me by the throat even now, just thinking about it. The river, oh god, the river. I put the book down and sobbed.

Anyway, am on Hexwood by DWJ. It's all good fun. Not a classic of hers, but a rollicking good read. Will keep you up to date on the rest.

** ETA - do not look this up on Wikipedia if you are intending to read it. I just checked it out of interest and it gives away the whole damned plot.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #1430
Meursault
Cantankerous Incantonator

lucretius
Old 05-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #1431
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Broken Window - Jeffrey Deaver
(Somebody remind me not to read mysteries that touch on my own fears regarding identity theft, EZPass being evil, and monitoring of retail behavior.)

B is for Beer - Tom Robbins
(just started this one, but I'm already hooked.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #1432
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

What I will be reading as of tomorrow afternoon. I actually had to tell the library to order this book. They have the other 9 in the series, but seem to have missed this one. They moved pretty fast, since I think I put the request in less than 2 weeks ago.

The Foreigner series is one of the best SF series when it comes to portraying alien psychology. Sure, a lot is cribbed from feudal Japan and possibly even social insects, but Cherryh really manages to project a real sense of 'otherness' onto her aliens.

Quote:
RESERVE NOTICE
The item you requested is now available for
pickup. Please bring your library card when you
come to the library for your item(s.)

If you do not already receive notices by email,
go to ccls.org and update your library record.

AUTHOR: Cherryh, C. J.
Conspirator : Foreigner # 10
CALL NO: SF CHERRYH C.J. C
PICKUP AT: Chester Cou
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #1433
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto - Mark R. Levin

UG will like it, may think it doesn't go far enough.

The rest of you will think it's wacky or wrong, despite it being well researched and documented.
I've heard of it; I'll keep an eye out. Still have Thomas P.M. Barnett's Great Powers to finish. Recommended for anybody with a broad interest in geopolitics. Also, A Blueprint For Action.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #1434
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Crucified - Michael Slade

U.S Army/Marine Counterinsurgency Field Manual - General David Petraus / General James Amos

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #1435
Tiki

The Haiku Anthology - edited by Cor Van den Heuvel
Epidemiology - Leon Gordis
Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #1436
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
The Consolations of Philosophy - Alain de Button (hilarious)
An excellent book indeed.

I'm reading Regions and Powers: The Structure of International Security by Buzan and Waever, and Japan's Reluctant Realism: Foreign Policy Challenges in an Era of Uncertain Power by Michael J Green.

I'll probably start Neal Stephenson's Anathem tonight, too, since I've been meaning to read it for ages.
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #1437
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

I didn't start Anathem, though I now know where it is, which is a good start.

Instead, its Capitalism and Schizophrenia by Deleuze and Guatarri. Namely the first book, Anti-Œdipus. Anti-fascism, psychiatry, political economy and post-structuralism here I come! Woo.
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #1438
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

ok fair warning. I only read fluff books. ( these days )

A month ago I read Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. oooh I scoffed at that book. It was horrible. The winning....the martardom, the repetition of characters internal dialogue as if the author couldn't find anything else to say. Talk about the proverbial whipping boy. I think the author was exorcising every masochist fantasy she ever had.

I then decided to go with the story I've been longing to read. That is Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Yes they are young adult books but the author is a very good writer. I didn't read anything cliché....well maybe the last book in the series got that way but I ate them up. Twilight was the best in the series.

I then read a book by Susan Wiggs. Another horrible lazy writer. Every cliché you could think of was in that book. I doubt this person ever really had a romantic relationship.

I then picked up Rosamunde Pilcher. It's called "Coming Home"
I never thought I would ever read one of her books. I always thought they were books old ladies read.

[edit- I didn't know the story was infact very british and proper until years after my inital thought about'who might read them'. ( like this month ) I guess I have entered the ranks if spinsterhood.

[I then found the book]Very tame and British and proper BUT I must admit she is a fine story teller. I am wondering if I will read the 'Shell Seekers' next. humm

Last edited by skysidhe; 05-24-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: clarification I hope
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #1439
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

So...'Britishness' is an old lady quality then?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #1440
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

No Dana C but the author is and her own brand of propriety shows.

Years ago I only considered them to be quite tame. I didn't know how properly British they would be until I read one this month. If you look up the Author you can see she is nothing if not a true lady.

*Reading back a few pages*

Rich Levy- Science fiction books the Foreigner looks interesting. I read sci fi in college but I have some sort of a block these days that prevents me from reading anything that causes an dialouge within my brain..

Sundae-*The Knife of Never Letting Go* seems intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost View Post
Start with Headhunter.

First line - "The body hung upside down from the ceiling by nails driven through both feet."
How can you not love that?
Gawd----Remind me to never come for a visit. :P

Coraline is another teen book that I'd read. Neil Gaiman intrigues me

Last edited by skysidhe; 05-24-2009 at 10:52 AM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books