The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 AM   #91
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Sounds like you're doing just as he said, trying to shut him down for voicing his opinions by hurling insults (dumb, boring, ridiculous) and labels (stereotyping, plant). Seems that it's going to be a long learning curve for many that these things didn't work, clearly didn't work last time and that insults don't work anymore, labels don't work anymore.

Guess who's going to give Trump a second term. I'm not going to name names; but, his initials are BigV.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #92
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

NYT technology writer Farhad Manjoo attempts to shut off Trump news... and finds that he cannot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/t...ia-ignore.html

Quote:
It wasn’t my aim to stick my head in the sand. I did not quit the news. Instead, I spent as much time as I normally do online (all my waking hours), but shifted most of my energy to looking for Trump-free zones.

My point: I wanted to see what I could learn about the modern news media by looking at how thoroughly Mr. Trump had subsumed it. In one way, my experiment failed: I could find almost no Trump-free part of the press.

But as the week wore on, I discovered several truths about our digital media ecosystem. Coverage of Mr. Trump may eclipse that of any single human being ever.
Eight. More. Years.

Quote:
The new president doesn’t simply dominate national and political news. During my week of attempted Trump abstinence, I noticed something deeper: He has taken up semipermanent residence on every outlet of any kind, political or not. He is no longer just the message. In many cases, he has become the medium, the ether through which all other stories flow.
Manjoo then recounts a list of haters who just gotta hate, as all media inserts mostly anti-Trump messages into the nation's biggest television shows, the Grammy, the Golden Globes, the Super Bowl. He's not just everywhere, he's the only topic anyone is thinking about, anywhere!

Leaving no oxygen for other important news:

Quote:
On most days, Mr. Trump is 90 percent of the news on my Twitter and Facebook feeds, and probably yours, too. But he’s not 90 percent of what’s important in the world. During my break from Trump news, I found rich coverage veins that aren’t getting social play. ISIS is retreating across Iraq and Syria. Brazil seems on the verge of chaos. A large ice shelf in Antarctica is close to full break. Scientists may have discovered a new continent submerged under the ocean near Australia.

There’s a reason you aren’t seeing these stories splashed across the news. Unlike old-school media, today’s media works according to social feedback loops. Every story that shows any signs of life on Facebook or Twitter is copied endlessly by every outlet, becoming unavoidable.
This is why it happened, and this is why it's going to happen again in four years. Every day a glorious orgasm of Trump across all channels. We just can't think about ANYTHING else.

How will it work out? Maybe there will be crisis/crises which continue to cause people to mainline the hatery. Or maybe we slowly become fed up, and take up a cultural diet of anything else. Maybe disco will come flying back and everybody will get laid. Clams on the half-shell, and rollerskates! Rollerskates!

Or, maybe there will be a war. Disco or war, which one are you hoping for? Either way, I can't wait.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #93
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I expect war, m'self. Either us with a foreign power (my money's on China), or us with ourselves. Or both.

I think the Republicans will almost certainly impeach before the first term is out--Mr. Clod says about 6 months before the midterms, I say sooner than that--because then they get to be the saviors for turning on their own guy and all is forgiven, plus, they could theoretically get more than 8 years out of whoever steps in to replace him. Whether or not they agree with the hatred of Trump, they don't like someone they can't control, and they have the majority votes to bring him down whenever McConnell and Ryan decide it's time.

But an impeachment will bring riots. Also, the lack of impeachment will bring riots. There's no easy way out.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #94
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
plus, they could theoretically get more than 8 years out of whoever steps in to replace him.
My recollection is that 10 is the maximum number of years any pres can have. So if a VP becomes pres with 3 years left to serve in that term, that person can only run for reelection once. It would have to happen after January '19 to get two more additional terms.

According to Wikipedia, the text is:

Quote:
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #95
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ah! You learn something new every day.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #96
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

So Cheney, Bannon*, and Martin Sheen would only be allowed one term each.

* Assuming he lasts 2 years.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #97
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
How will it work out? Maybe there will be crisis/crises which continue to cause people to mainline the hatery. Or maybe we slowly become fed up, and take up a cultural diet of anything else. Maybe disco will come flying back and everybody will get laid. Clams on the half-shell, and rollerskates! Rollerskates!

Or, maybe there will be a war. Disco or war, which one are you hoping for? Either way, I can't wait.
I listened to CHIC - "Good Times" again last night. It was sooooooo gooooood

Disco, or war? Trade war doesn't count! Or does it!?

Putting it out here first, just because it's Disco or War does not mean it will be appropriate for a D candidate to use "Good Times" in 2020 like Clinton 1 used "Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomrrow)" in 1992. Maybe by 2024, but "Good Times" needs to organically come back first. (Which it will. It always will.)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #98
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Don't be a jerk! Participate!"
Old 10-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #99
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
This is why it happened, and this is why it's going to happen again in four years. Every day a glorious orgasm of Trump across all channels. We just can't think about ANYTHING else.

I coulda wrote this today! Still no war and still no disco; but I'm starting to see a few signs of people becoming fed up.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #100
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Obvious from text messages that The Don was doing same corrupt deals that he did all his life - even back when he was a liberal. Quid Pro Quo - Ukrainian military aid withheld until they agreed to help his reelection campaign.

Some text messages stated to stop texting and use the telephone - because participants knew how corrupt their plans were.

No wonder The Don is so friendly with dictators and so hates American allies. No need to say why. That is blatantly obvious.

How does one get on Trump's enemies list? Simply be honest.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #101
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

How does one get on Trump's enemies list? Simply be honest.

Then you're safe.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #102
henry quirk

context, bitches

"As I said on the phone, I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign."

"Bill, I believe you are incorrect about President Trump's intentions, the president has been crystal clear no quid pro quo's of any kind. The President is trying to evaluate whether Ukraine is truly going to adopt the transparency and reforms that President Zelensky promised during his campaign."
Old 10-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Right, and the tooth fairy will verify them doing that.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #104
henry quirk

"Right, and the tooth fairy will verify them doing that."

Yep, and to the exact same degree that you & yours will verify that Trump is doin' impeachable crap.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #105
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They have already been verified but he won't be impeached because the Senate would block that in a heartbeat.