The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 63,822
July 13, 2010: $$$ Laundry

Laundering U.S. dollars, in Zimbabwe.



Quote:
These $1 bills are essential currency in the African country and putting them through the washing machine is the only way to ensure they remain hygenic. Low denomination U.S. bank notes change hands until they fall apart, and the bills are routinely carried in underwear and shoes through crime-ridden slums.
Some have become almost too smelly to handle, so Zimbabweans have taken to putting their $1 bills through a spin cycle and hanging them up to dry with clothes pins. It's the best solution - apart from rubber gloves or disinfectant wipes.
So next time you roll a bill to snort that line, you might wonder where it's been.

link
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Cloud
...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,360
Wallets For Zimbabwe!

You can text your contribution to me.
__________________
"Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards!"
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
monster
Dream Hater
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perpetual Chaos
Posts: 28,991
That was really interesting, thanks

Could someone please tell my kids that it isn't necessary for coins, though. Or rocks. Or dead worms....
__________________
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity Amelia Earhart
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,412
The story reminds me of when i worked at a text book store when I went to Rutgers U. A lot of students would pay for their books with tons of singles because they were working as waiters, waitresses, etc. One day, a lady came in to pick up her course books and handed me about 250.00 in singles. I asked her where she was waitressing, thinking she'd find it funny that I could guess her profession from the cash. WRONG! Not waitress, ...exotic dancer!
I washed my hands several times after she left.
__________________
Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and the world laughs AT you.
Sheldonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Coign
Wanted Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
The story reminds me of when i worked at a text book store when I went to Rutgers U. A lot of students would pay for their books with tons of singles because they were working as waiters, waitresses, etc. One day, a lady came in to pick up her course books and handed me about 250.00 in singles. I asked her where she was waitressing, thinking she'd find it funny that I could guess her profession from the cash. WRONG! Not waitress, ...exotic dancer!
I washed my hands several times after she left.
Wait. You are saying there actually is a stripper out there who is doing that to pay her way through college and she wasn't just lying to me?

This changes EVERYTHING!
__________________
Quoting yourself is the height of hubris. -Coign
Coign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coign View Post
Wait. You are saying there actually is a stripper out there who is doing that to pay her way through college and she wasn't just lying to me?

This changes EVERYTHING!
Not really. She WAS lying to you. Just not about THAT.
__________________
Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and the world laughs AT you.
Sheldonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
limey
Encroaching on your decrees
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: An island within the south-west coast of Scotland
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
That was really interesting, thanks

Could someone please tell my kids that it isn't necessary for coins, though. Or rocks. Or dead worms....
But I expect the worms were alive when they were put in the washing machine ...
__________________
Living it up on the edge ... of civilisation, within the southwest coast of
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 34,098
I've wished for a law, for long time now, that the people you give your money to at the fast food places can't be the same people who handle/prepare your food. Ever seen a kid ride up on his bike, go into Mickey D's, order a burger, and then reach down into his shoe (or worse) and hand the money to the teenager behind the counter?

Money is good, but, it's nasty.
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
tombstone
Violator of Customs
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 49
According to the news, 90% of the one-dollar bills in Florida have cocaine on them. Might not be such a bad idea to start washing our bills here, too.
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
monster
Dream Hater
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perpetual Chaos
Posts: 28,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone View Post
According to the news, 90% of the one-dollar bills in Florida have cocaine on them. Might not be such a bad idea to start washing our bills here, too.
Then drying out the laundry water and selling the residue in baggies on the street corner? Might pay off the national debt....
__________________
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity Amelia Earhart
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
monster
Dream Hater
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perpetual Chaos
Posts: 28,991
http://www.snopes.com/business/money/cocaine.asp
__________________
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity Amelia Earhart
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,412
Does this mean that large portions of our cocaine bears traces of money?
__________________
Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and the world laughs AT you.
Sheldonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
SPUCK
Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I've wished for a law, for long time now, that the people you give your money to at the fast food places can't be the same people who handle/prepare your food. Ever seen a kid ride up on his bike, go into Mickey D's, order a burger, and then reach down into his shoe (or worse) and hand the money to the teenager behind the counter?

Money is good, but, it's nasty.

It is a law..
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 34,098
Needs to be enforced then.
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Badelaide, Baustralia
Posts: 12,861
Open your wallet. Take out a note. What do you reckon the odds are that that note has been in a stripper's G-string?
__________________
Shut up and hug. MoreThanPretty, Nov 5, 2008.
Just because I'm nominally polite, does not make me a pussy. Sundae Girl.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.