The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #46
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Hurry the freak up and get here - screw tw and all his efficiency - We need a Friday N-O-W!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #47
binky
all hollowed out

It feels like this week is drrragggging
Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #48
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

How's this...

We can tell bush that we have decided that the old Wednesday is the new Friday for the farmers and the economy! If any of the nerds here can work this out for me, and prove that it is good for the economy and farming I'll be glad to send it on.......

I'm not going to be picky about firm numbers, basic calculations, or factual representations...If you could possibly work in an extra Saturday on the calendar year and exclude that amount of Mondays for economic stimulus I'd be happy there too...you know...whatever you can do.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #49
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
How's this...

We can tell bush that we have decided that the old Wednesday is the new Friday for the farmers and the economy! If any of the nerds here can work this out for me, and prove that it is good for the economy and farming I'll be glad to send it on.......

I'm not going to be picky about firm numbers, basic calculations, or factual representations...If you could possibly work in an extra Saturday on the calendar year and exclude that amount of Mondays for economic stimulus I'd be happy there too...you know...whatever you can do.
The major time divisions are based on astronomical events: the length of the year, month and day are based on movement of the Earth, moon and Sun in relation to each other. But the length of the week is based on nothing except for some old fairy tale.

Because the week is seven days long, it doesn't divide evenly into the length of any month (except three out of four Februaries) or into the length of the year, so we always have incomplete numbers of weeks. This causes much difficulty in calculations.

I would propose that we change the length of the week to six days, and that all months be adjusted to 30 days. At the end of the year we'll have five (or six) days left over, which we can treat at a bonus week - an extra holiday.

With this schedule, we'll have five weeks per month times 12 months per year, giving 60 working weeks and one bonus week. The work week will be four days (instead of five) and a two-day weekend. But we'll continue to work 40 hours per week (10 hours per day x 4), and earn the same weekly pay. So everyone will work 60 weeks per year, get paid for 60 weeks per year, and have 60 weekends per year. Pay will increase by 15% and people will be happier because there will be more weekends. Productivity will increase, income will increase, people will spend more money and the economy will rebound.

The best part is - we'll eliminate Monday!

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #50
friday afternoon
Kinda New Member

friday afternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #51
monster
I hear them call the tide

exactly. Posting in wrong thread is totally friday afternoonz. WhereTF are you, dude? WAKE UP.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #52
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
The major time divisions are based on astronomical events: the length of the year, month and day are based on movement of the Earth, moon and Sun in relation to each other. But the length of the week is based on nothing except for some old fairy tale.

Because the week is seven days long, it doesn't divide evenly into the length of any month (except three out of four Februaries) or into the length of the year, so we always have incomplete numbers of weeks. This causes much difficulty in calculations.

I would propose that we change the length of the week to six days, and that all months be adjusted to 30 days. At the end of the year we'll have five (or six) days left over, which we can treat at a bonus week - an extra holiday.

With this schedule, we'll have five weeks per month times 12 months per year, giving 60 working weeks and one bonus week. The work week will be four days (instead of five) and a two-day weekend. But we'll continue to work 40 hours per week (10 hours per day x 4), and earn the same weekly pay. So everyone will work 60 weeks per year, get paid for 60 weeks per year, and have 60 weekends per year. Pay will increase by 15% and people will be happier because there will be more weekends. Productivity will increase, income will increase, people will spend more money and the economy will rebound.

tw?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #53
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
tw?
monster, how can you say that? I used complete sentences and didn't blame top management for anything. Plus, it makes complete sense, doesn't it?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #54
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

HLJ, please don't bring that up here where I work. They'll convene a CQI committee about it and I'll probably have to be on it.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #55
HungLikeJesus

I'm also working on revising the representation of the decimal system. But that's a subject that deserves its own thread... which I don't think anyone will want to read.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #56
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I am using company time and resources to prepare for the interview I hope to have here tomorrow afternoon. Boning up on the company, preparing answers for potential interview questions and taking a sneaky peek at the other applicants' applications.

Very wrong, but if I get the job they'll be getting a great employee, so I forgive myself for my underhandedness.

Anyway, I won't get a proper Friday Afternoon feeling tomorrow, so I'm going to have some tonight. I think there's some left under my bed somewhere.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #57
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
I'm also working on revising the representation of the decimal system. But that's a subject that deserves its own thread... which I don't think anyone will want to read.
Shhhhhhhhh, I can't take another committee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I am using company time and resources to prepare for the interview I hope to have here tomorrow afternoon. Boning up on the company, preparing answers for potential interview questions and taking a sneaky peek at the other applicants' applications.

Very wrong, but if I get the job they'll be getting a great employee, so I forgive myself for my underhandedness.

Anyway, I won't get a proper Friday Afternoon feeling tomorrow, so I'm going to have some tonight. I think there's some left under my bed somewhere.
They will be getting a great employee! Best of luck to you!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #58
Cicero

Quote:

Brilliant
! I love it!!!
I propose that we write bush as a co. letter from "Cellar Think Tank Un-il-limted". And we should charge him to hand over our intellectual property.....See how I did that? "Our" intellectual property....
Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #59
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

Brilliant
! I love it!!!
I propose that we write bush as a co. letter from "Cellar Think Tank Un-il-limted". And we should charge him to hand over our intellectual property.....See how I did that? "Our" intellectual property....
You might want to change the wording where it says, "some old fairy tale." And somehow tie it in with fighting terrorism.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #60
Cicero

How's this?

The major time divisions are based on astronomical events: the length of the year, month, and day are based on movement of the Earth, moon, and Sun in relation to each other. But the length of the week is based on nothing, except for extremist muslim sectarian violence directed at all whites especially in America. The days of the week are in dire need of change to reflect the belief of Americans in our great nation, our devotion to god, our consistent denial of evil, (we will not be afraid) and promotes more spending by lengthening the vacation time to shop, and the spending bonus, as incentive. The greatest lie of the evil doers is the lie that days of the week should be numbered in 7 not 6. And we all know Mondays are evil, and our great nation will not be forced into that act against god, promoting more terrorist activity.

Well...needs work...I'm willing to work with other cellar editors. This has to be convincing and believable to the powers that be....