The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
JoannBlue

White Males Are Committing Suicide In Record Numbers In United States

(Feb. 19) – White males are committing suicide in record numbers the government has learned, and they are not sure why. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that an increase in suicides among white males has increased about 20% in the last several years and this could effect the country as a whole.

Shannon Neal can instantly tell you the best night of her life: Tuesday, Dec. 23, 2003, the Hinsdale Academy debutante ball. Her father, Steven Neal, a 54-year-old political columnist for The Chicago Sun-Times, was in his tux, white gloves and tie. “My dad walked me down and took a little bow,” she said, and then the two of them goofed it up on the dance floor as they laughed and laughed.

A few weeks later, Mr. Neal parked his car in his garage, turned on the motor and waited until carbon monoxide filled the enclosed space and took his breath, and his life, away.

Later, his wife, Susan, would recall that he had just finished a new book, his seventh, and that “it took a lot out of him.” His medication was also taking a toll, putting him in the hospital overnight with worries about his heart.

Still, those who knew him were blindsided. “If I had just 30 seconds with him now,” Ms. Neal said of her father, “I would want all these answers.”

Mr. Neal is part of an unusually large increase in suicides among middle-aged Americans in recent years. Just why thousands of men and women have crossed the line between enduring life’s burdens and surrendering to them is a painful question for their loved ones. But for officials, it is a surprising and baffling public health mystery.

A new five-year analysis of the nation’s death rates recently released by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that the suicide rate among 45-to-54-year-olds increased nearly 20 percent from 1999 to 2004, the latest year studied, far outpacing changes in nearly every other age group. (All figures are adjusted for population.)

For women 45 to 54, the rate leapt 31 percent. “That is certainly a break from trends of the past,” said Ann Haas, the research director of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

By contrast, the suicide rate for 15-to-19-year-olds increased less than 2 percent during that five-year period — and decreased among people 65 and older.

The question is why. What happened in 1999 that caused the suicide rate to suddenly rise primarily for those in midlife? For health experts, it is like discovering the wreckage of a plane crash without finding the black box that recorded flight data just before the aircraft went down.

Experts say that the poignancy of a young death and higher suicide rates among the very old in the past have drawn the vast majority of news attention and prevention resources. For example, $82 million was devoted to youth suicide prevention programs in 2004, after the 21-year-old son of Senator Gordon H. Smith, Republican of Oregon, killed himself. Suicide in middle age, by comparison, is often seen as coming at the end of a long downhill slide, a problem of alcoholics and addicts, society’s losers.

“There’s a social-bias issue here,” said Dr. Eric C. Caine, co-director at the Center for the Study of Prevention of Suicide at the University of Rochester Medical Center, explaining why suicide in the middle years of life had not been extensively studied before.

There is a “national support system for those under 19, and those 65 and older,” Dr. Caine added, but not for people in between, even though “the bulk of the burden from suicide is in the middle years of life.”

Of the more than 32,000 people who committed suicide in 2004, 14,607 were 40 to 64 years old (6,906 of those were 45 to 54); 5,198 were over 65; 2,434 were under 21 years old.

Complicating any analysis is the nature of suicide itself. It cannot be diagnosed through a simple X-ray or blood test. Official statistics include the method of suicide — a gun, for instance, or a drug overdose — but they do not say whether the victim was an addict or a first-time drug user. And although an unusual event might cause the suicide rate to spike, like in Thailand after Asia’s economic collapse in 1997, suicide much more frequently punctuates a long series of troubles — mental illness, substance abuse, unemployment, failed romances.

Without a “psychological autopsy” into someone’s mental health, Dr. Caine said, “we’re kind of in the dark.”

The lack of concrete research has given rise to all kinds of theories, including a sudden drop in the use of hormone-replacement therapy by menopausal women after health warnings in 2002, higher rates of depression among baby boomers or a simple statistical fluke.

At the moment, the prime suspect is the skyrocketing use — and abuse — of prescription drugs. During the same five-year period included in the study, there was a staggering increase in the total number of drug overdoses, both intentional and accidental, like the one that recently killed the 28-year-old actor Heath Ledger. Illicit drugs also increase risky behaviors, C.D.C. officials point out, noting that users’ rates of suicide can be 15 to 25 times as great as the general population.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

If we could get more baby boomers to off themselves, that would be smart population control and save us a fuckton of money.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
...a fuckton of money...
Is that more or less than an "asston" ???
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
JoannBlue

These are white middle class working males.

These are white middle class working males.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Flint
Snowflake

You didn't answer my question about fucktons and asstons.

You didn't answer my question about fucktons and asstons.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Is that more or less than an "asston" ???
Good question...I copped "fuckton" from Jim, so he probably knows the answer.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Flint
Snowflake

I think it was Clodfobble that said "asston" ... so we'll probably have to let them mud-wrestle for dominance.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I used to work near a town named Aston. It's a shit ton nicer than nearby Chester.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I think it was Clodfobble that said "asston" ... so we'll probably have to let them mud-wrestle for dominance.
You think we could get Jinx to substitute for Jim there?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

If we want to get an accurate answer, we are almost required to make that substitution.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'd pay money to see that matchup. not in clobble's current delicate state, of course.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

Oh, look at mister sensitive over here.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

He's just showing concern for the other onlookers. No one wants to see a pregnant lady in a bikini, dude.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
elSicomoro

I might...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

The answer: Prozac and alcohol.

Ok...why is it entitled "white males" when the leap of 31 percent (women) is more astounding than the mere 20 percent jump for men?

Shouldn't it be "women (fore-most) and men commiting suicide in record numbers"?

Or is this another case of Cicero not being able to read?