The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: Is being gay morally wrong?
Yes 6 11.76%
No 42 82.35%
Depends 0 0%
Other 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 AM   #76
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Right now, your strategy is doing nothing, and doing nothing is no better than doing the right thing.
Hmm...I worded the last part badly.

I did not intend to be taken as "do nothing until public support switches sides" but "don't expect anything big to happen for 20-30 years when public support does switch".

The frustrating part about gay rights is that there is a large voting population that will vote against gay rights no matter how good of an argument or how deserving these rights are. I will always continue to support gay rights but I will not expect change to happen quickly and neither should you. You should obviously continue to fight for the rights you deserve but do not expect change overnight or, even worse, become completely cynical with this issue.

Change can and will happen, it will just take longer than it should. I'm sorry if this posts gets you angry, and it should, but I am merely pointing out what I see through historical trends with respect to these types of issues. Civil Rights should have happened a long time before the 60s but it would never have had the support to pass before then. Gay rights should have happened a long time ago as well but right now it doesn't have the support to pass. Both those are true sentences but also idealistic. I do not want to have to wait it out either but sometimes there is no other option.

Quote:
If anything, I think that the world is becoming more nationalist, more conservative, if you take a look at recent elections around the world the right is winning more than the left.
It depends on what aspect you are talking about. I am fairly certain that the recent push towards the right on a whole is just a trend but it seems to me, I might also be wrong, that civil rights have been slowly moving left for a while now.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #77
Kerotan
Half-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Being gay might be morally wrong to some people, but not to me.

My morals think it's perfectly ok. If I were a prude perhaps, or staunch catholic etc, I might think it's morally wrong to be gay.

With regard to the question posed earlier, "do your morals change according to who you're with", I think that's an interesting question.

There is no doubt that our sense of propriety stops us from behaving the same way in front of our 80yr old granny than we might when we're out with friends at the pub. Does that mean our morals change or that we simply prop our morals up because we don't want to offend granny?
Wow complete indecision within me, I was going to take this line originally then I thought I was full of shit, and took a different line, and then I thought that that was shite too, and back to this one.

Anway...

I think its more the case that we prop up our morals in situations with our granny, I don't think that swearing and burping round a table is wrong per say, I don't do said acts because others round the table think that it is wrong.

however, doesn't that just make a situation of your morals, "burping and swearing are a ok, except when my granny is here"

So really after all my confusion, I have to say that really the bolstering
of my morals just comes under that on an absolute level, in my moral laws I have a moral which says that I should take into account other peoples morals, so really I would say that my moral code is more accommodating than changing, but none the less it is changing.

In short, morals do change!

(post script-Well if you read all that extremely messy post of indecisivenesses, congratulations, if you understood it as well your a better man than I am. Also if you want an analogy to how my moral laws work, just think of Nietzsche attacking Freud, and Freud retaliating by more or less encapsulating Nietzsche's attack. I describe it poorly but none the less if you have no idea what I am vainly trying to get at, you will just have take my word for it. - Also the smart ones amongst you would have noted that this a post script at all since at the time of writing of the post script, the original article hasn't been posted, this is just merely a mechanism for me to add additional material on the end of my post without calling it a note and therefore seeming utterly up my own arse, which would have been surely spotted and commented on, even if i had not mentioned thus.)

Answers on a postcard please.
Kerotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #78
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There's a difference between morals and decorum. It is not wrong to fart and swear, but it is rude. There are people with whom I can be rude, and people with whom I prefer not to be, but I'm pretty sure none of those people think it's wrong either, just impolite.

My morals do not change depending on whom I'm with, only the extent to which I am willing to discuss them. I can keep my mouth shut when it is advisable to do so, but I can't think of a situation where I would say or do something that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #79
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

How can what consenting adults do with each other, short of perhaps homicide, be immoral?

Morality varies by individual, by society, by religion, and probably by a zillion other factors. There are very few moral absolutes.

Read Clockwork Orange for one interesting POV on Right and Wrong.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #80
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you're having more fun than I am, what you're doing is immoral... and if I have my way, also illegal.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #81
LJ
i am myself

3 people think...or thought that being gay is morally wrong. all 3 of them were too timid or not sure enough about their opinion to post a comment to that effect. fear of being persecuted for their belief? ironic?

the login anonymous ...password.....cockpuppet
Old 12-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #82
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If you're having more fun than I am, what you're doing is immoral... and if I have my way, also illegal.
You forgot to identify the source of that quote, George W Bush.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #84
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

That's so wrong.....just ask my girlfriend.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #85
Aretha's doctor

According to the Bible (where most issues of moral behaviour are evaluated), the Christians deduce that homosexuality is immoral. But Christians are not the only valid (did I say “valid”?) source of metaphysical conviction.

Assuming that any of the existing religious institutions are correct about the creation of life and expectations of us, as mortal beings – then we’ll only know the answer to sexual morality when we’ve reach the “after life” – maybe.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #86
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
I believe not only that homosexuality is not morally wrong, I believe that it's really fucking awesome.
What's Awesome' last name? I may know him. lol!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #87
Ibby
erika

*groan*
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #88
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
*groan*
That's what he said! lol!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #89
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

[quote=Kerotan;417449] I think that a philosophy section should discuss matters of such import, especially when a User named Cicero frequents this area of the forum regularly.

[/b]

Just noticed that...thank god for searching myself. :p Kero- philosophy used to be discussed here widely. Anymore...not so much.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #90
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

thats a shame too!