The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-14-2003, 09:52 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dropping the articles -- most Chinese speakers of English seem to do that. It's easy to understand sentences without articles, especially if you know that the person speaking is likely to drop articles.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 12:14 AM   #17
Billy
Professor

I can not listen long articles

I can not get the information and lose if I listen a long article. Sometimes I don't know how to express myself when I chat with foreign people. I offten have solecism in speaking English.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:37 AM   #18
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
You can park it at my place, but you have to promise to tell stories about the good ol' days, complete with ridiculous exaggerations.
Well anyway I remember back in '94 those idiots who were running the SIGUCCS conference booked it in Ypsilanti, Michigan for the same weekend as the Penn State/Michigan foorball game. People ended up staying at three different hotels because rooms were so scare. Shuttle buses?? BAH! We had to walk. Walk, I tell you, and it was uphill both ways. Do you know in those days they actually had 9600 baud serial hookups in the email room? Yeah, and we thought it was hot stuff too. Anyway I was giving a paper that year... yeah, paper... you do know what paper is, don't you boy?? Any way of course it was the first session on Monday morning and I had to haul ass over from my hotel to the conference center. The paper was about gopher. It was one of the last papers presented on gopher, maybe the last ever. Hmm I'll have to look that up maybe I finally did something to get me an asterisk in the history books. Anyway--where was I--oh yeah I was giving a paper. It was the first session early on Monday morning. And it was jam packed too, everybody wanted to hear about gopher. That "world wide web" crap was still experimental, and nobody wanted to have pictures with their internet access anyway. TEXT was what people wanted, lots and lots of TEXT... efficient, and information-rich. Why, people love text. That's why to this day almost anybody you talk to would rather sit down and read a nice book instead of watching that damned television or playing those stupid video games. And gopher, why gopher had lots of text, sonny, and no pictures. By god, that was what people WANTED back then. What good's a damn picture anyway? Just slurps up your bandwidth and you only got 256 colors anyway. So anyway I'm talking about Gopher. And it was packed. Sure I was the only presenter talking about gopher, and there were maybe 12 or 15 talking about the WWW, but nobody went to hear them. Oh yeah, that's right, of course I'm remembering it right, you couldn't PAY somebody to use the web. And I tell you, I used overhead transparencies too. None of that Powerpoint shit back then, you actually had to do some work if you were gonna give a lecture. You actually had to develop some CONTENT, boy. Yeah that's right, CONTENT. So anyway, there I was at SIGUCCS in Ypsilanti, Michigan. You know it was a real pain getting over the the conference center because they scheduled it for the same weekend as the Penn State-Michigan game and I'll tell you you couldn't BUY a hotel room. Of course I was presenting on Monday morning, pretty early. It was about gopher, I bet you probably never even heard of gopher much less used it... I... I'm a bit sleepy, I'll tell you about it some other time...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:44 PM   #19
Billy
Professor

SD,Thank you

You post is wonderful
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:25 PM   #20
Kate in the City
Fhqwghads Lovechild

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Sex in the City is a great guide for learning to enjoy sex, Billy. The difficult part is getting Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall into the sack with you in the first place. I hear they're rather busy these days. Sigh...
I'll second that. Being a devoted fan, myself.. It's a sad thing I have to live with every day, knowing this will be the last (although extended) season.

But on a feminine note, boys... believe me, the stuff that happens on that show is your typical everyday girlie stuff. How else can you explain it's phenom status? More women are independent and single, than ever.. and trying to reconcile that with the fact that they have primal sexual urges, just like our more hairy counterparts. And constantly fighting the status quo that hangs over our heads, and sends our playfriends running at the first sign of affection... we don't always want SERIOUS relationships.

If Cosmo is the bible, than SATC is the female version of a good James Bond movie (Die another Day not withstanding). Study, learn and apply.

And the old cliche, is a lie. On a daily average, girls want it more than guys do.

Scary, isn't it?