The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Hemlock
May Ter Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargalunan
In the Associated Press's article the black guy has looted a grocery

In AFP'one the two white ones have found bread and soda
They are different news agencies.

AFP = Agence France-Presse

AP = Associated Press

Learn to read before you spout off "racism" that someone has shown you. It could be that they have different standards for captions. Perhaps one will not sue the word "looter." Just because the guy who I caught breaking into my house was black, I am not racist for calling him a thief.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
They are different news agencies.

AFP = Agence France-Presse

AP = Associated Press

Learn to read before you spout off "racism" that someone has shown you. It could be that they have different standards for captions. Perhaps one will not sue the word "looter." Just because the guy who I caught breaking into my house was black, I am not racist for calling him a thief.
Oh, I don't see the French as having any problem with the word "loot," especially on an international story. If anyone was going to be afraid of law suits, it would be the US news agency which used that term in our litigenous society. I think you are being just a bit disengenuous here.

The problem would arise if you call the black guy who broke into your house a thief, but called the white guy who broke in someone who was "borrowing" something. That's what those two news captions illustrate.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 AM   #3
bargalunan
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
They are different news agencies. AFP = Agence France-Presse, AP = Associated Press

I don't like your too emotional answer.
This subject seems too sensitive for you. Read my message again.
Meanwhile you're right : this example would be stronger if the two captions were written by only one news agency. (AP or AFP, that doesn't matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Oh, I don't see the French as having any problem with the word "loot," especially on an international story. If anyone was going to be afraid of law suits, it would be the US news agency which used that term in our litigenous society. I think you are being just a bit disengenuous here.

The problem would arise if you call the black guy who broke into your house a thief, but called the white guy who broke in someone who was "borrowing" something. That's what those two news captions illustrate.
Thank you Marichiko again
bargalunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Hemlock
May Ter Dee

[quote=bargalunan]:
Meanwhile you're right : this example would be stronger if the two captions were written by only one news agency. (AP or AFP, that doesn't matter).

That is all I wanted to hear. I meant one will not "use" the word looter, not sue. It is a typo - I am sorry.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote