The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

June 9th, 2017: Popsicles

This is pretty bizarre, although not unusual in the civilized world....

Quote:
Beautiful, until you realize what you’re looking at … “Polluted Water Popsicles”. I have to be honest, I don’t really know the full story behind this project. They only have a Facebook page, with just a little bit of information… but would that stop me from writing about these gross beauties that are making a VERY important point? Absolutely not. Now, that bit of information isn’t in English, so this is what Google Translate told me their “about” section said:
Nice = delicious?
From Taiwan’s 100 polluted water sources, made it into ice, and then re-engraved into a 1: 1 poly model to do the show, through the sense of the impact of beautiful packaging to convey the importance of pure water, and finally to show the real Appearance. So beautiful pudding, you dare to eat?
Works for me! Pretty Popsicles, important message … but don’t even think about licking one. Seriously.

Quote:
UPDATE: Just found out a little more {thanks to Hosanna for commenting on Facebook!} This is what she told me: “These were created by 3 design students in Taiwan for their graduation exhibition. They took water samples from 100 water sources (including rivers, sewers, streams, etc.) that people normally wouldn’t notice, but were already polluted. They used the water samples to make popsicles and in turn made 1:1 poly models of the popsicles, which are what you’re seeing. They did this to emphasize and show how important clean water is to the environment.”

It's not that pollution hasn't followed humans wherever they went, it has.
But now more emerging nations are becoming more educated and sophisticated, and detecting the mess they're in.

link
Old 06-13-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
SPUCK
Professor

Personally, I think they're beautiful and fascinating and want to taste them.

I'm not clear on what poly-models has to do with this. You can't translate water and impurities into some other petrochemical.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You can't display real ice at a show without an expensive and cumbersome refrigeration equipment, both going to and at the show. Remember these are students. I expect the original ice popsicles were not randomly poured from the samples they collected, but carefully constructed from those samples.
The shame is the biggest danger from polluted water is what you can't see with the naked eye.