The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 30th, 2017: More Pottery

Unlike the unique ceramics yesterday, this guy was looking to reintroduce the variations from craftsmen without the craftsmen.
Have a machine fake the craftsmanship.
Quote:
At the foundation of every product there is the production process. When we replaced the craftsmen by machines we lost the translation of local influences into our products. What if our machines could become more sensory? What if the machine could sense the local environment and incorporate it into the production process?

In the early days the 3D printed ceramic vases and bowls seemed rough, with the layers clearly visible. I was able to experiment with textures, surfaces, shapes and sizes. Now I'm able to make objects up to 80 cm tall with a diameter of 42 cm. By altering the settings on my machine I can vary and give the pieces very different appearances.

Quote:
These amplify and create Moiré patterns on the 3D Printer. Olivier had noted previously that the printer produced Moiré patterns naturally. This error was an interesting one. Rather than eliminate it, he turned to sound designer Ricky and teamed up with him to see if they could make objects from sound waves.

Quote:
Solid Vibrations is a collaboration between Ricky van Broekhoven and Olivier van Herpt. Ricky specializes in sound design. His projects are often landscapes of noise that live briefly in the mind. To combine the temporal sound driven nature of his work with 3D Printing would let noisescapes become things. A moment in time, a song a sound, they can now become objects that encapsulate the moment forever. Vibrations turned into shapes by the 3D Printer. A specially constructed speaker rig mounted below the build platform produces very low sound.

Quote:
This disposable world we’re creating is a large scale mauling and grinding of our earth into temporary objects that are then left to pollute. I know of many designers that feel the same design angst about being a designer in a mass manufactured age. This is why we’re seeing people work with recycled items and creating machines and manufacturing processes.
This is the spark that lead me to the 3D printed beeswax project. If the world wants temporary things and wants to consume things at higher rates then let’s create a way to out of beeswax. Give this world the temporary things it needs through a sustainable process.

link