The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Adak
Lecturer

So the short fat Latino dude ...

whom Martin pounded on until said short fat Latino dude (Zimmerman), drew his pistol and shot him, has been found not guilty of murder, by a jury of 6 women.

From this we can learn:

1) Don't pound on guys who have weapons. It's always a bad idea to swing your fists at somebody with a loaded gun at hand.

2) Our President is *weird*. WTF does this comment from Obama convey:
"If I had a son, he'd look like Treyvan Martin"

Huh??

Talk about trying to shape the public's perception before the trial even began, and increase the pressure to prosecute!

3) The jury used a bit of common sense: when a guy is beating the crap out of someone, he won't be the one screaming for help. The guy screaming for help, will *ALWAYS* be the guy who's getting pounded. Neither Einstein nor Hawking assisted me in formulating this concept.

Duh!

And sadly:
4) If there wasn't a lot of national attention and pressure to prosecute Zimmerman, the district attorney would have used the common sense of #3 above, and never prosecuted Zimmerman.

Of course, the ridiculous Jesse Jackson stated after the verdict that Obama's Justice Dept. needed to do something, to fix this injustice.

Sure thing, Jesse. We'll just throw out our Constitution, Florida state laws, and our legal system, so you can get whatsoever you want.

I wish Treyvan was still around, and decided to pound the shit out of Jackson. It would be a YouTube viral video of the decade.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
... Of course, the ridiculous Jesse Jackson stated after the verdict that Obama's Justice Dept. needed to do something, to fix this injustice.

Sure thing, Jesse. We'll just throw out our Constitution, Florida state laws, and our legal system, so you can get whatsoever you want. ...
He'll probably be a thorn in the President's side, using whatever issues he can, unless he gets pardons for his son and daughter-in-law.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, what I've learned, is that a private citizen can follow and confront another citizen, scare him so much as to start a fight, then fatally shoot him, and legally, all is okay.

Martin did NOTHING at all illegal or threatening until Zimmerman initiated the confrontation.

If that is legal, your laws are messed up.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jim Crow is back...
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Well, what I've learned, is that a private citizen can follow and confront another citizen, scare him so much as to start a fight, then fatally shoot him, and legally, all is okay.

Martin did NOTHING at all illegal or threatening until Zimmerman initiated the confrontation.

i get that you see americans as a complete group of fools, ignorant and violent.

did you watch the trial at all? do you understand the concept of 'reasonable doubt'? the prosecution failed, and as a liberal who hates guns, i think the jury got it right. surprise!

i won't even start with public reaction over other high profile trials. you're smart enough to get where i'm going with this.

btw, the painting of treyvon as a 9 year old who was just saving kittens isn't reality, as you may have seen in your 'learning' of the subject.

it's not a race issue. black and hispanic. the media cried 'white man.' where? that was another creation to confuse us all with our (honorable) desire to not take race into account in ANY trial, except for obvious hate crimes.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hi Infi, nice to see you back ... wish it was on slightly happier terms.

No, I know that not all Americans are assholes. But it seems to me that some of your rules and norms foster assholishness.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

well, not ALL americans, just our general policies foster such racist crap, from all sides. i can agree with that.

oh i'm ok, just a huge thing going on right now so i am dealing with that as best i can.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
... If that is legal, your laws are messed up.
Let me 'splain how it works here Zen. There's a camp that believes guns kill people; but, when somebody gets killed and there's a gun involved they arrest and charge some person who may simply have fallen in with a bad gun. When that person goes to trial, there's automatically reasonable doubt about which was really the perpetrator ... the person or the gun. The person is therefore acquitted and the gun, which was only taken into protective custody without ever actually being arrested or charged, goes free.

People say that alcohol kills; so, we have laws that make doing things like driving under the influence of alcohol illegal. People say that guns kill; but, there are no laws making doing anything under the influence of a gun illegal!

So you see, it's not that our existing laws are messed up. It's just that the current culture is lagging in enacting laws that hold guns responsible for the people they kill; also, laws to hold people who partake of demon guns responsible for (the lesser offense) of acting under the influence of a gun. We just need a little more time to even things out.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

to you, Infi.

Sexobon ....

Although a very good point in amongst all that.

Mind you, it is worth noting ...

The GUN was BLACK!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:

Zimmerman didn't "confront" Martin. Martin saw Zimmerman following him, (this is inside a private gated community, so there aren't many people out and about). Anyway, Martin tells his gf he's going to "take care of this guy" following him, and doubles back to Z's position.

Now Zimmerman starts questioning Martin. Zimmerman has already called 911 for backup, and was advised to not confront M, and he's also been advised to not bring his firearm while in a community watchman role. Zimmerman disregards that advise. He knows his rights, and he knows he has no partner, and no fast backup is available. The gated community has no police department, so the response time for the sheriff is rather long.

Shortly afterward, the taller guy has the shorter guy on his back, astride his chest, and is pounding shorty's face with his fists.

Someone is yelling for help. It attracts a witness, but the witness can't say for sure who is yelling for help, because he has a bad angle, and is too far away.

The taller guy continues to pound on the shorter guy, who can't get up. Other calls to 911 are made. Then a shot is heard. Treyvan has been mortally wounded, by Zimmerman.

Zimmerman is taken in for questioning. He has a gashed and reportedly broken nose, a swollen face, and a scalp laceration where Treyvan had bounced Zimmerman's head against the ground several times, while beating on him.

The newmedia get the picture of Zimmerman getting out of the cruiser at the station. They photoshop the picture so Zimmerman has no injuries at all, and publish it as factual.

Zimmerman's Mom and relatives claimed in court that it was Treyvan yelling for help - after first saying it was not Treyvan yelling for help, when interviewed by detectives.

Like fun! Guys who are winning fights, don't scream for help from anyone nearby.

Treyvan was 4 inches taller than Zimmerman, and at 17 years old, was on his high school football team. Zimmerman was no match for Treyvan in a fight. He's heavier, but not an athlete, and decidedly "well nourished" as they say.

Zimmerman could not have retreated to safety at any time after the fight broke out, even if he wanted to, because Treyvan quickly took him down, and sat on Zimmerman, while repeatedly punching him in the face, bouncing Zimmerman's head against the concrete beneath him.

I don't believe Treyvan intended to kill Zimmerman, but he might have killed him anyway. He certainly wasn't stopping, even after Zimmerman started screaming for help. He kept on pounding away.

It's a huge loss of life, for something as trivial as being questioned by the community watchman. Treyvan's real shortfall, was failing to stay civil, when talking with Zimmerman. There was no need for a fight to ever start. Maybe a heated argument or lively discussion, but not a fight.

The fight was Treyvan's idea, and Zimmerman had every right to defend himself, in that situation.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I don't believe Treyvan intended to kill Zimmerman, but he might have killed him anyway. He certainly wasn't stopping, even after Zimmerman started screaming for help. He kept on pounding away.
According to FL law, Martin had every right to beat the crap out of Zimmerman. He was stalked and confronted. And had every reason to fear for his life. We now know what he did not. Martin had more reasons than he knew to fear for his life.

Nobody knows who was calling for help. But we do know who the aggressor was. 'Shorty' created the entire problem. And deserved to have the crap beaten from his body.

Martin died because he was doing what FL laws says he should do. Use as much force as possible when one fears for their life.

If Zimmerman was not carrying a gun, would he have acted intelligently? Probably. Instead he foolishly did what he had done so many times previously. So many times, he saw a black man and reported him as a suspect criminal. Zimmerman repeatedly acted on his emotions. Assumed based only on observation and speculation rather than think rationally like an adult.

Zimmerman's previous actions imply he saw black men as criminals. Is that illegal? If not, then we have one example of reasonable doubt.

I'm not exactly sure which part constitutes 'reasonable doubt'. Jurors are not talking. Required details are not specific. Not even listed here. We really need to hear the jurors interviewed. Curiously, they all have refused.

It's no longer a question of what is fair. Fair (and legal under FL law) is for Martin to seriously harm or even kill Zimmerman. Fair is irrelevant. Only relevant question is what is legal. Will Federal charges be filed against the gun for violating a human's civil rights?

Last edited by tw; 07-15-2013 at 07:41 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Meanwhile, on 4-chan:

Name:  martinil.png
Views: 314
Size:  9.9 KB
Old 07-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
According to FL law, Martin had every right to beat the crap out of Zimmerman. He was stalked and confronted. And had every reason to fear for his life.
If someone is following you, at a distance, and you are worried for your safety, you should call the cops, or go to the nearest open business, and ask them to call the cops.

You don't try to beat the shit out of the community watchman, because he asks you what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
We now know what he did not. Martin had more reasons than he knew to fear for his life.
Martin had no fear for his life. If he knew Zimmerman was armed, he would never have started the fight, unless he could take away Zimmerman's gun, first.

Martin wasn't suicidal or dumb. Just violent and very unlucky, on that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Nobody knows who was calling for help. But we do know who the aggressor was. 'Shorty' created the entire problem. And deserved to have the crap beaten from his body.
Neither I nor the jurors agree with you. I've never seen or heard the guy winning the fight, screaming for help. Neither have you, because it never happens - and proves you're a blatant liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Martin died because he was doing what FL laws says he should do. Use as much force as possible when one fears for their life.
Another lie. Nonsense comment, totally lacking in reason.

So glad you aren't a juror.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I've never seen or heard the guy winning the fight, screaming for help. Neither have you, because it never happens.
I have. When the guy winning knew without help it couldn't end without him hurting or being hurt badly. Remember this wasn't a drunken brawl outside a bar, no posturing for the chicks or bros.

Neighborhood WATCH, not neighborhood guard.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
chrisinhouston
Professor

I for one think Mr. Zimmerman was guilty but having served as a juror I believe in our justice system as a whole even if it failed here.

The fault in the outcome lies at several different levels; the Florida SYG law is flawed as it goes far beyond the "castle doctrine" of protecting your property or yourself against intruders.

How on earth does the Florida judicial code only call for 6 jurors in a capital murder trial???

Our jury selection system allows for picks and strikes from both sides but 6 white women hardly represents the parties involved, a black man and a caucasian-latino.

Sadly, every trial comes down to the lawyers on both sides. In my opinion the proscecution failed when they chose the charge of 2nd degree murder when it should have been manslaughter. The charge they chose was harder to prove. Also, trial outcomes depend on the judge, who blocked evidence the proscecution was depending on to win.

We can speculate all we want but what if the outcome had been reversed and Mr. Martin had had a gun and stood his ground and killed Mr. Zimmerman? Based on statistics Mr. Martin wold have been arrested on the spot and charged and found guilty!

The jury found Mr. Zimmerman not guilty based on the facts that the judge allowed and the legal arguments but the verdict does not exonerate him. I have a feeling he will be living in hiding and looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life, so maybe there is some justice.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote