The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-28-2001, 11:19 PM   #1
Xugumad
Punisher of Good Deeds

Racism, Christians, the Media. And Liberalism.

What you may want to ask yourself is how the extremely politically correct modern US socio-scape is dealing with people making a point about racially unfair situations.

As an example, how would a US College deal with organized protests outside its own gates (by whites) decrying affirmative action as a racist policy that disadvantages whites (and asians) simply due to skin colour?

I am guessing that a lot of people not involved in the protests would automatically (and subconsciously) classify those protesters as racist and close-minded.

However, race and sexual preference (which is a misleading and downright derogatory term anyway; most behavioural psychologists and biologists now agree that sexual orientation is biologically predetermined to a great extent) are a downright deadly topic to bring into any discussion unless you take the politically correct stance.

It's very odd, really. It's simply impossible to attach anything less than favourable to sexual or racial distinctions, lest you are branded a homophobe or racist.

Naturally, some of the media's 'care' in not offending minorities is due to certain extremely inflammatory radicals amongst those minorities. If you're ABC or Fox, the last thing you need are black protesters in front of your HQ day and night, branding your reporting as 'racist'.

I don't know what can be done, really: I believe that those few extremists will in the long run reverse the current PC trend, and create an even greater social divide. People will react in more and more hostile manners towards those radicals, who in turn will reverse all the progress that's been made in civil rights and personal freedoms.

However, ultimately you need to wonder; recently, the media remarked that it was odd how most Christian organizations didn't decry the portrayal of Rachel (on 'Friends') as a single mother, in sharp contrast with 'Murphy Brown' doing the same a decade earlier. Isn't this the point when you have to sit down and wonder: who cares what they think? Why does it matter what they want? Isn't this the land of the free? It's TV, it doesn't harm anyone. If they are so worried about the children (oh, the precious children), why don't they tell people not to let them watch TV, instead of making a big deal of trying to impose their own views on other people? Why does the media give a damn what the Christian right wants?

Here's the answer: because systematic propaganda has destroyed what 'liberalism' means. If you are branded a 'liberal', your career is pretty much over, since it's associated with tax-and-spend. But that's NOT the meaning of liberal. At all. The meaning of 'liberalism' is:

1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.

2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

OK? Being a liberal is being a GOOD person, and not telling others what to do. Of course, there's the meaning of giving freely, as in 'liberal benefactor', but that's not what the political meaning of liberal is all about. See also the Liberal Democrats in the UK, or the FDP in Germany.

Not that anyone cares, of course. People have just become too stupid and used to their human interest - focused news to care, or understand.

X.
Xugumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 01:34 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

Coming from a very racially diverse background with a very high proportion of minority races i know how touchy it is to try and discuss anything that could be interpreted by someone as racist. At the same time i think its so STUPID to ignore race. CMOe on we ARE different, different racial groups stick together alto fo the time. I've got Asian, black, Inidian, Middle Eastern and European friends all of which agree, while stearotyping or disciminating is frankly, the most stupid thing i've ever been unlucky enough to come across. How could could assume someone is stupid/lazy/immoral whatever because of their skin colour.....DIfference shoudl be celebrated and accepted, not glazed over ina mess of political correctness that hides a melting pot of stuff under the surface.

Quote:
OK? Being a liberal is being a GOOD person
No it does not! It makes you an evilevil heathen type person!
All thsoe dman extremists should be shot!

Quote:
See also the Liberal Democrats in the UK, or the FDP in Germany
Or here - right wingers to the end.

Quote:
Not that anyone cares, of course. People have just become too stupid and used to their human interest - focused news to care, or understand.
I blame TV news.

*before someone mouths off please rmember much of this *is* a joke?*
Old 11-11-2001, 09:46 AM   #3
serge