The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

June 23rd, 2015: Sportsmanship

I've always cast a jaundiced eye at organized kids sports because of the shenanigans of parents, coaches and other adults involved. Too many of them play politics and put unreasonable pressure on the kids.

This is Grant Petersen, student manager of the Hopkins, MN, High School basketball team, and his sportsmanship makes me smile.

Quote:
The top-seeded Royals had the title within their grasp, only to see it disappear as Lakeville North, behind a remarkable performance by senior sharpshooter JP Macura, snatched it away in the final minute. That game represented high school sports at their best.

But then came the awards ceremony and the reaction of the Hopkins players. Specifically, a few players removed their medals almost immediately after having them placed over their heads by a state high school league official. It wasn’t a good look, a high school athlete removing a state tournament medal in disgust. It created an unflattering impression that the perennial basketball power is too good for second place, which, predictably, made social media light up like Times Square because it involved Hopkins.

But then the TV cameras found Hopkins student manager Grant Petersen, a senior born with Down syndrome who reacted as if his team had just won the state championship, the Super Bowl and the Powerball when he heard his name announced. Grant jumped up and down, both arms raised. Upon receiving his medal, he raised his arms again and flashed two thumbs up to his parents, sister and relatives sitting in the stands.

It was a beautiful moment, a kid overjoyed to get a medal in a sport he loves. Unwittingly, Grant showed all of us what grace and sportsmanship look like.
link
Old 06-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I saw a highly rated guy my age throw a mini tantrum at a very competitive fencing event over the weekend. The director looked like he was considering carding him but the fencer turned it off and quickly left the venue. He struck the strip with his weapon very hard and the bang was heard across the venue. Every head turned. I had watched his emotional state throughout the day. The dude was a mess. Hopefully the younger fencers stored that under "Don't be that guy."
Old 06-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
glatt

I don't know where that stuff comes from. I'm tempted to say that some people never grow up, but I know a lot of kids who would never behave that way. So it isn't that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've seen a few of these.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I saw a highly rated guy my age throw a mini tantrum at a very competitive fencing event over the weekend. The director looked like he was considering carding him but the fencer turned it off and quickly left the venue. He struck the strip with his weapon very hard and the bang was heard across the venue. Every head turned. I had watched his emotional state throughout the day. The dude was a mess. Hopefully the younger fencers stored that under "Don't be that guy."
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I don't know where that stuff comes from. I'm tempted to say that some people never grow up, but I know a lot of kids who would never behave that way. So it isn't that.
http://cmhc.utexas.edu/perfectionism.html

Quote:
Perfectionism versus Healthy Striving

Most people experience an inner drive to improve their performance on some tasks, whether running a faster mile or earning a higher grade. Perfectionism, however, is not a healthy pursuit of excellence. Those who strive for excellence in a healthy way take genuine pleasure in trying to meet high standards. Perfectionism, on the other hand, results in struggles with self-doubt and fears of disapproval and rejection.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Irregardless () of his disability, I love someone who simply celebrates what they have won.
That's the reason I whoop and holler for friends and rellies who are participating in an event. Probably the reason Ste has paid for me to travel to support him on his 100 mile bike ride, and specifically for me to be at Box Hill, Surrey - the big climb of the day (where Cyclefrance used to live). He doesn't have to be Miguel Indurain, he's cycling a heck of a long way for charity and I'm not fussed about making a show of myself. Shoot, if I can cry in a crowded bus station just because I missed my bus , I'm beyond shame anyway.

I'm glad this showed the positive side of disability. This lad may have been made up* anyway; he's obviously an achiever. I was worried it might have been a "let the disabled kid win and we all go awwww" story. I should've known Bruce was better than that.

ETA made up meaning very happy, not made up as fictitious.