The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-08-2002, 08:24 AM   #31
dave

Snatch.

I can't get enough of this movie. I really do think I could watch it 40 times over. And Brad Pitt once again proves that he's not a prettyboy. Damn good movie. I think I might go home and watch it.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:35 PM   #32
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

Snatch was great. One of my friends didn't like it, but he's got an odd taste in movies sometimes.

Do you guys ever frequent MovieLens? It's a movie recommendation site. Rate movies you've seen (good and bad, 5 star scale) and it'll recommend movies based on what other people have rated, and also predict ratings.

You can set up groups, so a whole bunch of you can see something that you all should like.

It's a lot of fun. I haven't tried getting any recommendations from it lately, but every time I update my ratings, it's got me pegged most of the time. Eerie.

Ellen and I are going to try out the group recommendation option for shits and giggles and see how well it works.

The biggest problem I have with it is that LOTS of the recommendations are for foreign movies. Not that this is a bad thing -- except that I can't rent them anywhere out here. Culture and diversity are two things that don't really make it out here.

By the by, Pecker is a hilarious, if disturbing, movie.
Ardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:50 PM   #33
Nic Name
retired

Happy Birthday, Elvis

Quote:
Hal Wallis, Producer of nine of Elvis' films, was quoted as saying, “A Presley picture is the only sure thing in Hollywood.”
Elvis starred in 31 feature films as an actor and two theatrically released concert documentary films, all of which enjoyed financial success. For a number of years he was one of Hollywood’s top box office draws and one of its highest-paid actors. His two most critically acclaimed films, Jailhouse Rock (1957) and King Creole (1958) have become classics of their era. His movies and concert films enjoy a healthy life today in television syndication and home video sales and rentals. Some of his top-selling music came from his movies. Eleven of his movie soundtrack albums went to the top ten, and of those, four went to number one. The soundtrack for G.I. Blues (1960), was number one on the Billboard Top 100 album chart for 10 weeks and remained on the chart for 111 weeks. The album from Blue Hawaii was number one for 20 weeks and was on the chart for 79 weeks.

Visit www.elvis.com or see an Elvis movie tonight.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:51 AM   #34
Griff
still says videotape

Brazil

It is here. It is now.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:53 PM   #35
Duncan Idaho
Non-Newbie Sort

The Maltese Falcon

Practically invented the film noir genre... Humphrey Bogart plays Spade as if he was born to play him (which he probably was)... The casting is superb from the devious Mary Astor to the slimy Peter Lorre.

Hopefully, Hollywood will never get around to remaking it.

Friends help you move... real friends help you move bodies...
Duncan Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:00 PM   #36
Griff
still says videotape

Anybody see A Mighty Wind yet? Its supposed to be the folkie version of Spinal Tap.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:43 PM   #37
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I saw a commercial for it last night...it looks funny.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 02:26 PM   #38
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

There's an article in the latest "Rolling Stone" (Good Charlotte is on the cover) about Christopher Guest. (At least that's where I think I sawr it.) ...and that's if you can stomach RS anymore. It's a bit too poppy for me these days, though the articles are funny sometimes.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 10:55 PM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Anger Management

Just went to see this one tonight.

There were bits that were a little slow moving, but there are some gut bustingly funny scenes in there ... two words ... "Buddhist Monks"!!

There are also a number of cameos ... some VERY unexpected ones.

I spent a lot of time making a point of not watching Adam Sandler movies, which, I find, has been a mistake. I loved this, and also thought Big Daddy was a much funnier movie than the commericials indicated.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:54 AM   #40
Griff
still says videotape

Caught Chicago last night. Very cool! Managed to pick a local (Melanie Gage) out of the crowd. Richard Gere, much as I hate to say it, was pretty funny, apparently the guy cannot dance though.