The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

For me, as usual with Theroux's programmes, what was fascinating wasn't what it said about America (because these people really don't speak for any wider group) but what it said about human interraction, albeit of a very intense kind. I also love all his programmes, because I find his style thoroughly engaging.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Note my link to PGR and you will know what I think about this idiot.

Lineage of the Patriot Guard Riders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several people have asked how the Patriot Guard Riders got started. Here’s what we’ve been able to piece together. If anyone can give us more details, it would be greatly appreciated.

It all started back in early August of 2005 with the American Legion Riders chapter 136 from Kansas. They were appalled to hear that a fallen hero’s memory was being tarnished by misguided religious zealots who were protesting at funerals. They decided to do something about it. At the ALR 136 August meeting, Director: Chuck " Pappy " Barshney appointed members, Terry “Darkhorse” Houck, Cregg “Bronco 6” Hansen, Steve “McDaddy” McDonald, and Bill ”Wild Bill” Logan to form a committee to strategize and form a battle plan to combat Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church.

When they heard that the WBC was going to protest at the Funeral of Sgt. John Doles in Chelsea, Oklahoma, they established a Mission Statement, which included getting the families permission and contacting Law Enforcement and other Motorcycle Groups in Oklahoma. They agreed that their ultimate goal was to get veterans and motorcycle organizations involved in every state so that each state could handle the situation internally and not rely on other states to do the job. They were very successful in mustering riders to honor Sgt. Doles and limiting the intrusion by the WBC.

After the Chelsea Mission the Kansas American Legion Riders wanted all Motorcycle Groups/ Organizations to be recognized. On the 18th of October 2005 the Patriot Guard name was established and was announced on the 27th of October 2005 to the 100 + motorcyclists present at the Tonganoxie Mission to Honor Spc Lucas Frantz.

Following the missions in South Haven, KS and a later ride in Edmond, OK, Jeff “Twister” Brown, from Broken Arrow, OK, decided to do more than just ride. He saw a need to get a strong nation-wide communications and recruiting program in place. He contacted the original AL riders in Kansas and told them of his plans. They openly shared their experiences, suggestions, and encouragement. Within a matter of days, Brown had formed the Patriot Guard Riders and began a nation-wide campaign to garner support.

Similarly, after a mission ride in Greeley, CO, Hugh Knaus and Jason “Waldo” Wallin answered the call of the newly formed Patriot Guard Riders, becoming the national webmaster and communications director, respectively. Within a matter of days, a mission statement was refined and a website was built, rebuilt, and launched. A call immediately went out to individual riders and groups across the nation to join and ride with the PGR. State Captains were recruited to work more closely with the members in their area.

The growth has been phenomenal. Within a week their membership included many riders from associations like the VFW, American Legion, Rolling Thunder, ABATE, Combat Vets Motorcycle Association, Intruder Alert, Leathernecks Motorcycle Club, and almost five hundred individual riders. To the credit of Hugh and “Waldo”, the PGR website had received almost 566,000 hits in the first two weeks! Patriots from all over America and several foreign countries responded. Emails were pouring in from people wanting to support and join the newly formed PGR.

So, that’s a pretty concise picture of where we came from and where we are today. A great deal of credit goes to that small group of Kansas American Legion Riders, but none of this could have ever been accomplished without the patriot member who takes time out of their life to honor a fallen soldier and their family.

http://www.patriotguard.org/AboutUs/...5/Default.aspx

http://www.patriotguard.org/Letterso...2/Default.aspx

http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/l...m+the+Homepage
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

All well and good, provided they remain peaceful vigilantes.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #19
rkzenrage

The cool thing they do is put flags on their bikes and make them loud enough, getting in front of the "protesters", so those at the funerals cannot see or hear those uninvited to the funeral.
A shame the cycles must be heard, but preferential.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #20
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Good work, Patriot Guard dudes. Protesting against someone's funeral is one of the most tasteless acts I can imagine.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #21
Industrialbug
Questionist

I just heard that they are going to picket at the Virginia Tech victims funerals also... What is wrong with these people? Theyre so sick..
Industrialbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #22
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrialbug View Post
I just heard that they are going to picket at the Virginia Tech victims funerals also... What is wrong with these people? Theyre so sick..
I suspect that member of PGR will be there if someone asks. They are primarily a service for military, former and current, but they would attend if asked. We have people who monitor their site and others like it for news of where they are going to go. In fact there have been some pretty interesting ways in which they have thwarted the protests.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #23
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The banality of evil. Not only is it depressing and disturbing (epecially the last few seconds), it is also mind-numbingly and soul-crushingly boring.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #24
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
The banality of evil. Not only is it depressing and disturbing (epecially the last few seconds), it is also mind-numbingly and soul-crushingly boring.

Eeek. Someone tell them god hates ugly people, too.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #25
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The Phelps leadership is hideous, but there were a lot of utterly normal-looking people in the chorus.

And the cute little girl was heartbreaking.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 06-25-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #26
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

It was so twisted that it was...hilarious. Except for the end, which was sickening.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #27
TheMercenary

May God Smite his nasty ass, if there is one...
Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #28
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Didn't I see some of those women in "Sister Act"?

What's really amazing is watching them trying to get their groove on.

Stranger than fiction. They're a satire of themselves. If you watch the video, you can see them include media clips of themselves. These people are worse attention whores than Ann Coulter.

If they think the world's coming to and end, how come they haven't broken out the cyanide?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #29
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
If they think the world's coming to and end, how come they haven't broken out the cyanide?
Good question. The sooner the better.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #30
glatt

Well, the Phelps organization just lost in court and has to pay the father of one of the soldiers whose funeral he was picketing almost $11 Million. Excellent.

This part bugs me though...
Quote:
Some legal experts said the judgment could be a setback for those who believe in broad free-speech protections.

"I think when speech is a matter of public concern it still has to be protected, even when by social standards it is extraordinarily rude and outrageous," said UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh.

University of Maryland law professor Mark Graber said the size of award, which included $8 million in punitive damages, could have a chilling effect on speech.

"This was in a public space," Graber said "While the actions are reprehensible, the First Amendment protects a lot that's reprehensible."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote