The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #76
busterb
NSABFD

Time for another rant.
Today I got a bid to fix the inside of my house. $12,600 bucks. OK the low bid for my roof is $4,815. Plus 45 bucks per hr. for labor to fix any structural damage, rotten wood not paid by insurance. Plus materials. My insurance has given me a check for a little over $9 grand.
I know I'm a dumb redneck, but I'm having a little trouble with someones math.
The insurance co. told me they knew that there price was low, so get the work started and would approve more money. My lawyer says no way cash check untill I get this in writing which will never happen. WTF. Today I poured another 5 gals. of something on roof and smeared it around. Hope it stops some new leaks that showed up other day. I have rain forecasted for next few days. Guess what I'm trying to say is I'm damn tired of sleeping on single bed in living room, it don't leak. when I have a split level home with 4 bed rooms.
Another thing that poded me today was I went to store and got a bottle of Wishbone dressing. On label said " Instant savings inside" so I pealed it off and gave to checkout. NO that's for bacos. WTF. I've got dressing. Go figure. boy I feel better now. bb
Old 01-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #77
busterb
NSABFD

Guess what I'm trying to say is I feel helpless and kind of unnecessary. Ive worked almost over the world and been superintendent, foreman, low man on pole, but I've never felt so left out of things. In the oil industry and construction things were to me, always in your face kind of things. Now my lawyer is telling me don't do that.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #78
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

always in your face kind of things

That is a WHOLE different world , not INDUSTRIAL world , REAL world !!
I know where you are comeing from , we hired a guy to slop some of that tar stuff on our roof a while back , FUCK STICK got it ALL over our new EXPENCIVE gutters and NEW( WAY!!!!!) expencive sideing , and then wouldn't return my phone calls . I found my self and my wife cleaning that NASTY shit off every thing with diesel fuel ( YES it works WOUNDERFULY !!!)
Old 01-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #79
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Just think, if you didn't even own a home and were located in New Orleans, you could be living on a cruise ship or in the Hilton right now. But unless the 60 Minutes cameras come calling, nobody is going to pay any attention to those who are outside the spotlight and just trying to get on with their lives
Old 01-21-2006, 01:06 AM   #80
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have you figured out what to do with the roof? What you're going to cover it with?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #81
busterb
NSABFD

Going to let a well known contractor from around here do the roof as he sees fit. At least I can find him. But won't start work till I tell him I can pay.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #82
busterb
NSABFD

In Am I have to meet with SBA to borrow money to make up what the insurance hasn't paid. Rates are great. Don't think I'll be around to pay off a 30 year loan. They first said would loan me 19k if I'd put up house and land. Which I was thinking about. Buy a bike and make a tour. Because I have 50k insurance that'll only pay off for accidental death. Anyway they change it to 9k, nothing up, which leaves me shit to dream on.
Still no work done. Still on list. I called the guy about roof day before yesterday, no call back. Hoping I can get in small claims court and make insurance co. pay the loan. Dreamer I know.

Last edited by busterb; 03-08-2006 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I thought Small Claims court was only good for under $1,000?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #84
busterb
NSABFD

Hey this is redneck court. Bruce I haven't checked on that yet. But I wish I could get it before my judge.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #85
busterb
NSABFD

Well the roof people showed up today when I was gone to Sam's club. Anyway they have shit piled up all around my yard, but no work going on. Stay tuned. Shrimp anyone? I got about a 100 bucks worth.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #86
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Suit accuses State Farm of fraud

This is from your neck of the woods, Buster. It's all over the papers. This link lists all of the related stories. I guess this will give the attorney general something to do besides investigating sex toy crimes.

Quote:
BAY ST. LOUIS — A couple that got conflicting reports from an engineering firm regarding how one of their homes was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing State Farm Insurance Co. of manipulating those reports to deny their claim.
The lawsuit, which comes as Mississippi's attorney general says he's investigating insurance companies for "fraudulent" handling of post-Katrina claims, is one of many spawned by a fierce debate over whether homes were destroyed by the Aug. 29 hurricane's wind or water.
In this latest case, Terri and William Mullins have two conflicting reports done by the same engineering firm.
The first report, dated Oct. 23, found the couple's two-story home in Kiln, a rural community near the Mississippi-Louisiana border, was destroyed by hurricane-force wind, damage their policy covered. On Jan. 3, however, the firm issued a second report that blamed the damage on the storm's flood waters.
State Farm used the second report as the basis for denying the Mullins' claim. Insurance companies say their homeowners' policies do not cover damage from rising water, including wind-driven water, but policyholders argue that storm surge should not be considered flooding.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #87
busterb
NSABFD

After months of nothing going on around here, this week has been a mad house. One crew on roof, one inside removing the sheetrock, insulation, paneling and all the mold, mildew. Sunday a guy that does carpenter work for phone co. is to be here with a bucket truck to repair the gutters and soffit.
Just maybe in a few days I can sleep in my bed for a change. After 7 months.
Guess the contractors have sucked the fema tit dry. BTW the price seems great to me. Compaired to some of the bids I had.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 PM   #88
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

That's great news, buster. I hope they get everything shipshape for you soon.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #89
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

fire up the smoker and feed them buster !!!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #90
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's great, Buster. Now don't let any anvils drop through the new roof.