The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Hummus

I bought some, roasted red pepper. Now just what do I do with it?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

toast some pitas and dip 'em in. if you don't have any, regular toast is good too.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Pita chips by the bag. Or pretzel chips. Hummus is awesome, I keep it in the fridge at work for lunch.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
it
Banned

Make it.

I've seen what you guys have in the US stores, and as a representative of the middle east, I am sorry but that barely counts as hummus, its ok I guess, but you are missing out.

Grab your blander and make your own. It also lets you try things that otherwise no restaurant would (A bit of cheddar cheese blended in hummus, it comes out so creamy it's evil).
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #5
infinite monkey

Oh look, a hummus purist.

I won't be grabbing my blander any time soon. My hummus doesn't need to have any special meaning.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 06-01-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
fargon

Keryx uses a food processor to make hummus. She puts all kind of things in it. I really like it, and it keeps things moving. If you get my meaning.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I used to make my own houmous (spellings vary by region) because I could make it in small enough batches not to have to make it last. So less fat or nasty additives.

You'll be getting carbs and protein in the houmous, so raw vegetables cut the heaviness a little. I liked carrots cut into batons with mine, or scallions (although not at lunchtime as the breath fallout was extraordinary). I'd also have it with red peppers, but I can see that would be a repetition of flavour for you there. Colleagues of mine often had it with celery.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
glatt

I use hummus as a spread on my sandwiches instead of mayo. It's more flavorful and doesn't have the fat and HFCS.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I made hummus when I had a powerful stick blander, it's a cheap easy thing you can make with that powerful cheap thing.

although is it just me or are cans of garbanzo beans up by double in the last few years
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
glatt

garbanzo beans are not cheap. I priced it out, making your own hummus, and while it was cheaper, it wasn't dramatically so.

I think Goya brand garbanzo bean aren't too bad price wise. In the ethnic aisle.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I made hummus when I had a powerful stick blander, it's a cheap easy thing you can make with that powerful cheap thing.

although is it just me or are cans of garbanzo beans up by double in the last few years
this is the way to go, I have a KitchenAid stick blender. I could easily make this post in the "Products I heartily endorse" thread. And I owe thanks to Clodfobble for first planting the idea that I could make good use of one. I finally purchased one precisely because I wanted to make hummus.

buster, as for what to do with it, the chip suggestions are good, but using carrots as edible dipping tools is even better in my opinion. Sundae's batons would be good, but so are regular carrots if you don't mind double dipping (over and over again) and baby carrots too. Delicious.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

It'll get worse.
Quote:
A year after record deluges damaged the lentil crops in Canada, vegetarians across India are getting sticker shock for legumes they eat at almost every meal. Stockpiles in Canada, the world’s biggest exporter, are down by half from a year earlier, government data show. At the same time, shipments to India, the top buyer, are headed to an all-time high after a dry spell reduced its domestic output. That’s boosted prices for all kinds of similar crops, including chickpeas and dried beans.
plus
Quote:
Demand is growing for the high-protein legumes known as pulses. General Mills Inc. and Kraft Foods Group Inc. are adding them to breakfast cereals, energy bars and salty snacks as health-conscious consumers seek products with no gluten or genetically modified ingredients.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
infinite monkey

If you want to make your own hummus, here is a recipe:

Ingredients:
1 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
1/4 cup (60 g) tahini
Large garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil, plus more for serving
Dash of sea salt, to taste
Dash of ground cumin (about 1/2 teaspoon/3.5 g)
2 – 3 tbsp (30 ml) water
Dash of ground paprika, for serving

Directions:
1.In your food processor or blander, blend tahini and lemon juice for 1 minute.
2.Add olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and salt and blend for another minute.
3.Add canned/soaked chickpeas and process until thick and smooth. (You may have to add additional 2-3 Tbsp. water until desired consistency
4.Serve with carrots, cucumber or whole grain pita.

Servings: 8

Note: Garbanzo beans probably have gone up due to the popularity of hummus.

Tahini is WAY expensive (i'm seeing 45 to 80 bucks.)
Old 06-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Tahini is WAY expensive (i'm seeing 45 to 80 bucks.)
Well, fuck that, then.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've noticed hummus has become a popular trend in the last couple years.

In another year eating hummus will be like wearing white after Labor Day.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote