The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

View Poll Results: Does the hunter go around the squirrel?
Yes. He goes around the squirrel. 16 61.54%
No. He does not go around the squirrel. 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #121
Ibby
erika

I've just re-read the entire thread again and i still don't understand the "no" argument. in what way does he not go around it? anyone?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #122
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

No, Ibram, you're not dumb. But you may note that the thread, which was itself already 100+ posts long, is titled "vote and then move on already," because the debate had already gone on for quite some time somewhere else, back in January. It was one of those things that no one ever changed their minds about.

But the world would be a better place if people did attempt to come to a common understanding. If that's what's actually happening here, then far be it from me to step on it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #123
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?p=783789#post783789
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #124
infinite monkey

And as I said on the first page of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
*taps fingers*

Well missy miss? Which wrong box did you check?

You gotta pick a side in this one. Liberty and freedom and something are on the line. No fence sitting.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #125
infinite monkey

Still have the giggles:

Quote:
The sqwirllll is not part of the tree. Here be my picture of the man walking around the squirrel. If the squirrel was advancing in circles opposite the man, in his bigger concentric circles, the man is not walking AROUND the squirrel because the squirrel isn't PART OF THE TREE. If the squirrel stayed there like an idiot, I'd change my answer. But that wasn't the question.

(Tree be round part in brown. Sqweeereeeel ees star. Man is explanatory. The Squirrel Not Part of Tree is before I found the text box.)
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #126
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Thanks!
I'm still a little confused though. The issue for me is, I think me and V and jim have prettymuch explained that we define "go around" as "move in a path that completely contains the subject, regardless of how the subject moves inside the shape described by that path". in other words, "you go around something if the thing stays inside the shape you walked"... but i don't understand what the people who say "no" define "going around" as. I think glatt puts it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If the squirrel made a circle that was so small, the center point was inside the body of the squirrel, would the hunter be circling the squirrel then? For example, say the squirrel had its paw resting on the top of the tree as it was running around the other side. Is the hunter going around the squirrel then?

What about if the squirrel is standing on the top of the tree and rotating so it was always facing the hunter? Is the hunter going around the squirrel then?

At some point, the hunter has to be going around the squirrel. When is that point?
am i only "going around" something if that thing is at the center of my path? what if my path is oblong or otherwise non-circular and doesn't have a center?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #127
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
The scenario illustrated, but substitute 'hunter' for 'dogs'. Or don't... cuz dogs are hunting animals...

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #128
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Meh. I tried shooting a thieving, motley (no hair at all on its tail, eww) squirrel the other day as it climbed up a tree next to the chicken coop. It had been raiding the chicken feed bin for a few weeks, and that particular day it actually came into the coop four times while I was in there cleaning up. WTF?

I shooed the fucker out once again, then went for my gun. By the time I got back, the squirrel had gone up the tree. Trying to shoot a squirrel while it is in a tree is a completely worthless exercise, as I quickly learned.

So I went back into the coop with my gun, because I knew that bastardly fucker would eventually climb down the tree and come back for more feed. Held the muzzle about 12 inches from the chicken entry/exit door and waited (note: Mossberg 12-gauge).

Took all of two minutes for him to show his face again, which, when I was done, wasn't much of a face at all anymore.

Moral of the story: squirrels in trees can't be shot, whether you circle the tree (and/or the squirrel) or not. Forget the fucking tree. Choose a non-tree spot wisely and wait. Yeah. That's the ticket.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #129
infinite monkey

LOL

Where've you been Glinda?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #130
Glinda

Quote:
LOL

Where've you been Glinda?
Foolishly, I've been hanging out in all the wrong places with all the wrong people. I finally had enough and came back to the place where everything is normal and people aren't weird.

Heh.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #131
infinite monkey

Bwaahaaa...speak for yourself, madam!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #132
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Meh. I tried shooting a thieving, motley (no hair at all on its tail, eww) squirrel the other day as it climbed up a tree next to the chicken coop. It had been raiding the chicken feed bin for a few weeks, and that particular day it actually came into the coop four times while I was in there cleaning up. WTF?

I shooed the fucker out once again, then went for my gun. By the time I got back, the squirrel had gone up the tree. Trying to shoot a squirrel while it is in a tree is a completely worthless exercise, as I quickly learned.

So I went back into the coop with my gun, because I knew that bastardly fucker would eventually climb down the tree and come back for more feed. Held the muzzle about 12 inches from the chicken entry/exit door and waited (note: Mossberg 12-gauge).

Took all of two minutes for him to show his face again, which, when I was done, wasn't much of a face at all anymore.

Moral of the story: squirrels in trees can't be shot, whether you circle the tree (and/or the squirrel) or not. Forget the fucking tree. Choose a non-tree spot wisely and wait. Yeah. That's the ticket.
I like the cut of your jib, Glinda.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #133
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

... 12 gauge shotgun from 12 inches ... you don't mess around!

Now, watch this and tell me, does the dancer go around the chair?

http://pictureisunrelated.memebase.c...ideos-twisted/

Or does the head go around the universe?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #134
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
"The wheels roll without slipping" is impossible. One or the other can roll without slipping, but both can't. Either the blue wheel is in contact with the ground, and the red wheel "slips," or the red wheel is in contact with some sort of raised rail or other surface it can ride on, and the blue wheel "drags."
I would guess that the "not slipping" is justified in the brain teaser as - the blue wheel doesn't slip relative to the ground, and the red wheel doesn't slip relative to the blue wheel. But the red wheel is being carried forward by the blue wheel.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #135
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I like the cut of your jib, Glinda.
*grin* Why, thank you! This week I'm hunting mole, a much more elusive critter. (Be vewwy, vewwy quiet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
... 12 gauge shotgun from 12 inches ... you don't mess around!
Heh! Well, the chicken door is only slightly bigger than a chicken - any further away and I would have hit the squirrel AND the inside walls of the coop. Incidentally, when shooting a shotgun from inside a chicken coop, the sound is distinctly muffled (just in case anyone needs that information for a future hunting event).