The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #121
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Snail Mail

You've all heard or even used the term snail mail before right?

Well at our house, we really do have snail mail!

Name:  snailmail.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  49.0 KB

This is what the inside of our letterbox looks like. As you can see, it's inhabited by a number of snails who've been chewing their way through our mail, and also in residence is an asian gecko.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #122
Flint
Snowflake

"So I just hit central alt delete?"
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #123
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I got to the pool and parked next to a truck with a cap. I heard a cat meowing. I looked in the trees, but sure enough it was coming from that truck. I looked around it, I looked inside as much as I dare lest the owner think I was up to no good...couldn't find a cat.

As I was leaving, a man had that truck door open and was looking all over underneath the truck. I asked if he heard a cat too. He said "I think my cat hitched a ride, but I can't find him." So we both started looking.

At this point I thought maybe he could be a serial killer and he had a cat recording and he was going to shove me into the truck, much like a movie I am sure most of you are familiar with.

The guy is saying "come here Jack, here kitty" and finally Jack came from, I think, the spare tire that was hanging underneath the truck. He was in fine shape, and very pretty. He had a little collar.

Jack wouldn't come out from under the truck, so I asked the guy if he thought a can of cat food would help. He looked at me funny and said "you keep it in your car?" and I laughed and explained I had stopped at the store on the way to the pool just for the purpose of getting cat food.

It worked! The man tried to give me money and I'm like oh please, I LOVE cats. He and I laughed, and he put the cat in the back of the truck, shut the hatch, and took Jack home.

Jack was going to enjoy a can of Mariner's Catch tonight!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #124
monster
I hear them call the tide

that's such a cool story
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #125
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Awwwwwww...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #126
Nirvana
Back in 10

I love happy animal stories! =)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #127
Flint
Snowflake

The Onion has this fake news video making fun of Cash4Gold. On the actual Cash4Gold website, The Onion's video is featured along with other real news stories featuring Cash4Gold. Either #1 they didn't watch the video closely enough to realize it's a parody, #2 they don't think the visitors to their website will watch the video closely enough to realize it's a parody, or #3 they have a wise-ass web designer who put up a video from THE ONION because he knew his dumbass bosses wouldn't watch the video closely enough to realize it's a parody.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #128
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

nice story 123
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #129
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

A friend of mine works for an opera company. They are putting on a new show this season that was specifically commissioned for the purpose of "honoring the history of" their fair city. There's some local governmental bicentennial going on, or something.

The problem is, they picked the wrong composer and libretto author. But they're only coming to grips with this reality now, when it's far too late to change. They're merely doing damage control at this point.

The basic plot started out as a love story between a slave and her master. Except slave importation was banned in 1807, and this particular city wasn't founded until 1850. Can't change the city or the date for obvious reasons, so they just bit their tongues and agreed to take a little historical license with these open slave market scenes, hoping that the city historians whom this whole shebang is being sponsored by won't care (since they most certainly will notice.) Okay. The other half of the show was set in 1920 (which was a significant year for the city for some other reason,) with the 1850s scenes being flashbacks of the main character.

Except now, they've realized they don't have the money for period costumes or sets, not even close.

So they're setting the 1920s scenes in "present day," because that's easy to furnish and costume. But the flashbacks are staying in 1850, because otherwise the libretto doesn't even have a pertinent year in the plot to connect it to the city's nonexistent slave history. Thus, the main character in this opera is no less than 175 years old. I think at this point they're just genuinely hoping the city historians aren't so good at math.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #130
monster

ooh you are evil being mildly amused by that!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #131
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

No, I'd say she's being very virtuous. This is worth more than "mild" amusement.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #132
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hmm, maybe they should turn it into a comedy/revue/farce/spoof. :p
Old 08-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #133
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I got to the pool and parked next to a truck with a cap. I heard a cat meowing. I looked in the trees, but sure enough it was coming from that truck. I looked around it, I looked inside as much as I dare lest the owner think I was up to no good...couldn't find a cat. *snip*
Some friends of mine took a short drive from their rural home to a nearby town to do a little shopping. The engine was acting oddly, so they stopped about halfway there and opened the hood of their old rattletrap truck. Out bounded one of their kitties, ran across the road (nearly being run over in the process), and hid in some tall grass.

When they were finally able to catch said kitty, it was badly burned and in serious shock. Got the car running and raced to the vet. Here's a pic taken as they got the kitty back into the car.

The vet cut away the burned skin and sewed the kitty back together the best he could.

I'm glad to report that after MANY months of constant care and attention, the kitty is all healed up and doing well.

It was quite a struggle, though, as the kitty would not stop trying to lick the wound. Cone collar was useless. The solution? Baby jammies!

A happy ending, but take heed; if you have an outdoor kitty, bang on the hood of your vehicle before starting it up!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #134
monster

only one of those pics is working for me but great there was a happy ending
Old 08-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #135
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Attached Images