The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Is abortion justified in the rape of a severely retarded individual?
No. 0 0%
Yes. 10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Angry How do you spell compassionate?

A 22-year-old severely retarded woman was raped while in state custody in Florida. Noone seemed to notice until she was five months pregnant. Now, the governor has decided to go against the Florida Supreme Courts previous rulings and appoint a guardian for the fetus.

So picture this woman, who is supposed to be severly retarded and autistic, going into labor. If she cannot assist in her delivery, I assume there might even be a Caesarian section. So in order to be compassionate, the governor may be forcing a woman with the mental capacity of a child in kindergarten or nursery school to have the child of her rapist.

Now I really try to understand both sides of the abortion debate, and I do believe that abortion should not be as easy to get as a takeout pizza, but should require some degree of contemplation. However, I do not think many moderates would disagree about cases of incest or rape. If an actual five-year-old child were pregnant by rape, I wonder if Governor Bush would relent? Does he understand that just becuase her body is that of a small adult woman, her mind might be that of a five-year-old?

When Clinton was president I used to listen to the howls of the conservatives about the abuses of liberals in government. I am trying very hard to find one to match up to this abomination.

St. Petersburg Times - Governor orders a guardian for fetus
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Florida never ceases to amaze me.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Florida never ceases to amaze me.
Why? What's the problem? Were talking about a Bush circumventing the law. Well, Duh.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From the linked story:
When asked Tuesday by a reporter why a guardian should be appointed for a fetus, Bush corrected him: "For a baby. I think it's an unborn child."
Quote:
From Dictionary.com:
fe·tus ( P ) n. pl. fe·tus·es
The unborn young of a viviparous vertebrate having a basic structural resemblance to the adult animal.
In humans, the unborn young from the end of the eighth week after conception to the moment of birth, as distinguished from the earlier embryo.
     You think anybody will bring this up to Bush?