The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-31-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/31/2003: Football-sucking walrus

This one was released just before the Bowl, of course, but I don't care, I'm putting it in afterwards because it's such a good shot.

The folks at Sea World San Diego have trained this walrus (named "Kitkatska") to suction up that football and hurl it up in the air.

(Apparently the Raiders suck harder.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Looks like a walrus. Plays like an Eagle.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:34 PM   #3
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

i'd just like to say, with the superbowl coming, GO RAIDERS! i KNOW we'll win. those buccaneers will be sorry they ever set foot on a football field. man, the raiders RULE!!!

...at least that's what a lot of people around here thought.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:17 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

As a lifetime KC Chiefs fan, I can only say that I shared the pain of the Raiders fans at their loss.

Oh, yeah...and I can also say that I *enjoyed* the pain of that loss...heh heh heh...

Sorry...couldn't resist. The only good thing about watching the Raiders win the division and the league and get to the Super Bowl is being able to subsequently watch them lose. I'm sure most Raiders fans would feel similarly were the sides reversed. Of course, the Raiders fans would feel that way while being armed to the teeth, but...

And one last thing...why did the news reports all talk about the riots that broke out because Oakland lost? They would have rioted just as much, if not more, if they'd won, wouldn't they?
Old 01-31-2003, 10:32 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
As a lifetime KC Chiefs fan, I can only say that I shared the pain of the Raiders fans at their loss.
A discussion of Super Bowl heartbreak must include Denver, Buffalo Bills, ... and even Boston Red Socks - the benchmark of heartbreak (whatever happened to Bill Buckner?).
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:49 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
whatever happened to Bill Buckner?
Played with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1987...now in the Witness Protection Program along with MLB umpire Don Denkinger.

*grumble* Kansas City Chiefs...I fucking hate Dick Vermeil, that fucking sell out bitch...may he never know football joy again beyond the Dome. And that sonofabitch is still incredibly popular here...his mug is all over billboards here for Independence Blue Cross.

Ah...much better. (Sorry Elspode.)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:50 AM   #7
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I was cheering for the Bucs all the way. Ronde Barber = Vengeance of the Giants.

Smack down the Niners, smack down the Eagles (that final interception he ran back for a touchdown, I'm convinced Tiki dressed in one of his spare jerseys and they switched places).

All is good with the world.

~mike
Old 02-01-2003, 10:34 AM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

*grumble* Kansas City Chiefs...I fucking hate Dick Vermeil, that fucking sell out bitch...may he never know football joy again beyond the Dome. And that sonofabitch is still incredibly popular here...his mug is all over billboards here for Independence Blue Cross.

Ah...much better. (Sorry Elspode.)
Rams fans have much to be bitter about, so no offense taken. Besides, it is foolish to take football fan statements personally...you'd spend your entire life being pissed off at somebody if you did.

You can take comfort in the fact that we didn't exactly have a stellar year. Killer offense, no defense.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:54 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Okay, speaking rationally now.

I think Vermeil made the mistake of retiring too soon..."going out on top." Then the itch came back and he needed to scratch it. I don't blame him, but I don't know if the Chiefs (given their history of crashing and burning) are the right team to take him back to glory.

Then again, the Rams were the worst team in the 90s...they just happened to have a great year in '99. No one picked them to do anything good that year, so anything is possible.

I don't think the Rams are in that bad of shape. Healthy bodies and a few tweaks to the offense will put them back in the playoffs next year. I'm quite looking forward to the QB battle for next season.

I am thoroughly convinced that the Eagles will go nowhere unless they improve the Donovan and gang of no-names offense.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote