The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Religion vs Addiction

David Brooks references Brendan I. Koerner in an interesting piece on addiction and religion.

In writing the steps, Wilson drew on the Oxford Group’s precepts and borrowed heavily from William James’ classic The Varieties of Religious Experience, which Wilson read shortly after his belladonna-fueled revelation at Towns Hospital. He was deeply affected by an observation that James made regarding alcoholism: that the only cure for the affliction is “religiomania.” The steps were thus designed to induce an intense commitment, because Wilson wanted his system to be every bit as habit-forming as booze.

I attribute part of my alcohol problem to my minds incompatibility with the religion I was raised in. Everything had to be labeled as good or bad. Some pretty fundamental human urges had to be suppressed or confessed. The Church's internal contradictions became impossible to reconcile. I gave up the booze and the Church at about the same time. My personality is such that I am always over or under-involved. I commit to things until I see all them blemishes and then I blow them up. I am trying to train myself not to be that way and I don't know if I'll succeed, but as a person with alcohol issues the absolute last thing I need is to be addicted to religion.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I hope you're not like me. I always find something - drugs, sex, food. If it feels good, I do it to excess. If it feels bad, I avoid it to excess, even when it's good for me. For instance, it has been a real struggle to make it to the gym 3/4 days/week since January, and too often I'll reward myself with a drink or .
Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

I've been trying to take a step back and think clearly about stuff. I've been reading a lot of Buddhism thought avoiding the clearly religious aspects and concentrating on the eightfold path, which to me makes good sense from a secular perspective. I know that some folks will argue that Buddhism isn't a religion in the strictest sense... anyway here is where I'm trying to hang my hat with varying degrees of success.
1. Right Knowledge
2. Right Thinking
3. Right Speech
4. Right Conduct
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration
When I'm stressed out I fail badly but I am working at it.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
SamIam

I don't feel that I am "addicted to religion" because I go to AA. For me its about having the support and understanding of people who have gone through the same thing I have and who are facing the same struggles that I am.

I do agree, however, that Wilson looked to religion to effect that complete psychic change he felt was required in order to stay sober. But it is my feeling that acheiving sobriety is not dependent on some burning bush experience. I have seen people use the group as their higher power, and one man even used his dog.

I very much like Buddhist practice. I think that it allows one to lead a better life in general. It is also helpful in maintaining sobriety.

It is a real accomplishment to stay sober without AA. My hat is off to you. I wouldn't be able to do it alone myself.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Sobriety is a whatever works thing for me. If the group helps do it. If groups are part of the problem don't.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Yeh I agree. Find what works for you and DO IT. Find what doesn't and STOP THAT. I started meetings about a 15 years ago. They were stressing me out, so I stopped. I had friends that did the same thing. Sad to say they are all gone as well. I made new friends and found out a lot about myself. I learned what my triggers were and got rid of or reduced them as much as possible.
Now I actually can have a beer once in awhile. I know - not normal but I've found what works for me. . . and its working.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I hope you're not like me. I always find something - drugs, sex, food. If it feels good, I do it to excess. If it feels bad, I avoid it to excess, even when it's good for me. For instance, it has been a real struggle to make it to the gym 3/4 days/week since January, and too often I'll reward myself with a drink or .
This is one of the most pernicious evils of demon rum <substitute vice here>. The agility, the variability of the reasons to have a drink are infinite. Had a bad day?, aw, here, have a drink to soothe it. Celebration? Cheers! ad infinitum.

Of course, the rum isn't the demon, but our own ability to rationalize and justify. If the drinking is a problem, then the solution lies in the same place as the problem, in my head.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
JBKlyde
Banned

When it comes to religion I suck. There was a time when that's all I was about but then reality struck and I realized I was too consumed with myself. I fell into a downward spiral and have yet to recover. I've never been addicted to any drug or alcohol only cigarettes and I'm trying to quit that.
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

JB...there's no such thing as "sucking" at religion. You find what you need in this world, we all do. (I'll interject here that if there is a god certainly I'm not the worst person ever, trying to live a decent life should mean something, so becoming obsessed with religion as a way of salvation isn't the answer. Salvation comes in overcoming everyday trials.) Self-awareness is key, and I think you are looking for that, as am I.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
This is one of the most pernicious evils of demon rum <substitute vice here>. The agility, the variability of the reasons to have a drink are infinite. Had a bad day?, aw, here, have a drink to soothe it. Celebration? Cheers! ad infinitum.

Of course, the rum isn't the demon, but our own ability to rationalize and justify. If the drinking is a problem, then the solution lies in the same place as the problem, in my head.
Me to a T.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I have found that being a born again christian is the easiest form of religion their is. It does not cost you any thing and all you need is a bible and most churches will give you one, the tithes and offerings are strictly voluntary and nobody keep track of weather you give or not. All you have to do is believe that you are a sinner and will always be a sinner, and that Jesus is the only way to get to heaven. I have tried other religions and have found them to complicated, or involved for my taste. I still smoke pot and cigarettes, I go see secular movies and read all the Harry Potter books and I am still going to heaven because I believe in Jesus.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Silly goose. You can be catholic and do all those things and just go tell a priest once a month. You're forgiven! You don't even have to wonder if you're a sinner. You just know.

Oh, and say 5 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Griff,
I found that Zen Buddhism spoke to the spiritual questions that my Catholic upbringing couldn't and didn't address.

I'd be happy to share a reading list with you and offer any observations or experiences I've had in my practice. I lived in a monastery for a year about 20 years ago and still practice, but obviously never became a monk.

Buddhism is indeed a religion, albeit a non- theistic one. It completely leaves aside the question of the existence of god as being irrelevant to leading a moral and ethical life.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Griff:

Heed this.

SN:

May I have some too, please?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Consider yourself formally invited to share. I'd like to see your reading list as well, since I've been dabbling and have not been terribly organized in my approach.