The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

May 30, 2008: Uncontacted Indigenous People

This story has made the rounds all over a variety of sites. These tribal people are a group living along the border between Brazil and Peru, and are known as an "uncontacted tribe." As in, these people are completely unaware of the existence of millions of other people living modern lives on the planet. With the exception of the occasional airplane they see flying overhead, of course, which they usually shoot a few arrows at just to be sure.

I don't know about you, but that blows my mind, that there are people still so completely (and deliberately) isolated from the rest of humanity. Makes me wonder what's truly humane. If a child were locked in a basement his whole life, but given basic life necessities, it would still likely be called abuse. The director of Survival International, Stephen Corry, had this to say:

"The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct." So this culture of people is considered a separate species now? Are we benevolently protecting their way of life (without their input as to whether they would want that,) or arrogantly treating them like animals?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The rest of the story:
http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17381
Old 05-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here is the threat.
Quote:
Cattle ranching is the main culprit in deforestation, accounting for some 70%. Amid rising overseas demand for beef, cattle numbers in the Amazon have more than doubled to 57m since 1990.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I don't know about you, but that blows my mind, that there are people still so completely (and deliberately) isolated from the rest of humanity. Makes me wonder what's truly humane. If a child were locked in a basement his whole life, but given basic life necessities, it would still likely be called abuse.
Clod, are you suggesting that you think civilization needs to be incorporated into these peoples' way of life? Do you believe that allowing these people to live the way they do is abusive? Maybe you are saying the opposite....?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Clodfobble

I don't know. I think it's arrogant to think we know what's best for them, either way. To deliberately refuse to contact them might be just as inappropriate as forcing them to use modern plumbing. Lots of tribes have successfully kept their culture even after encountering people from Western cultures. Some have chosen to incorporate modern things into their lives, some haven't.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I think you are probably right. For some people, there must be a "I know what's best for them" mentality that takes over, so I guess I figure someone is going to come along and screw things up for them.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But we must make sure everyone, even in the remotest Amazon, has a chance to see Sex in the City.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
TheMercenary

Quote:
I don't know. I think it's arrogant to think we know what's best for them, either way. To deliberately refuse to contact them might be just as inappropriate as forcing them to use modern plumbing. Lots of tribes have successfully kept their culture even after encountering people from Western cultures. Some have chosen to incorporate modern things into their lives, some haven't.
How did that work out for the Aztecs and Mayan cultures?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
corydodt
Writer of Writings

millions of modern people? Really? That sure is a lot. :P
corydodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
corydodt
Writer of Writings

Here's my point of view: they will be contactd, one way or another. Eventually, the modern world will catch up to them, no matter how hard we try. Space on the planet is finite, after all.

Would you rather them learn about the existence of modern man when a bulldozer takes out their lean-tos, or should they have a head start?
corydodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydodt
millions of modern people? Really? That sure is a lot. :P
Well strictly speaking, there are a whole lot of people on the planet whose lives are pretty similar to these tribes. Those are some nice thatched huts they have there!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think, given their remote location and the conditions their culture has evolved to live in, they would lose more than they gained by contact.

I have no doubt it will happen at some point, but for the time being ignorance is bliss. Or if not bliss, then at least a continuation of a centuries long way of living, which has at least worked well enough to ensure survival.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I think, given their remote location and the conditions their culture has evolved to live in, they would lose more than they gained by contact.

I have no doubt it will happen at some point, but for the time being ignorance is bliss. Or if not bliss, then at least a continuation of a centuries long way of living, which has at least worked well enough to ensure survival.
Yea, I mean they have gotten along without anyone for so many years it is beyond me why anyone would think they have to go in there and screw things up for them. Leave them alone.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
nephtes
Mammal

Quote:
Lots of tribes have successfully kept their culture even after encountering people from Western cultures.
Really? I readily admit that it could be my own ignorance, but I can think of lots and lots of counterexamples (virtually everywhere European nations ever colonized, say) and not very many cases of what you're describing.

Mind sharing with the class?
nephtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I read about these folks in this morning's paper and thought about them for an hour or two, did a little research, including looking back over a book called "Yanomamo, the Fierce People," by Napoleon Chagnon, left over on my shelf from grad studies in 1968.
Then here they are on IOTD!
A couple of thoughts: The threat to the tribes along the Peru-Brazil border comes almost all from Peru. Brazil has done some good things with newly contacted tribes, including a hands off policy.
A quote today from a Brazilian official implementing that policy says it well: "While we are getting arrows in the face, it is fine. When they become well-behaved, they are finished."
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote