The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you pee in the shower?
I am a male and I do 54 54.55%
I am a male and I do not 11 11.11%
I am a female and I do 20 20.20%
I am a female and I do not 10 10.10%
You are a fucking weirdo 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2003, 01:55 PM   #106
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Speaking of clean urine ... just in case you need some.

They really have thought of everything, including the temperature differential.
You can sell your urine? I'm such a moron -- I've been throwing mine away! The body is a goldmine!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:24 PM   #107
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
. Nasty chilblains. I'm still in search of a good hand moisturizer that doesn't leave your hands all greasy and slippery. I'm at the point where if I can find one here, I'll have to go down to the Agway feed store for a container of Bag Balm. Of course, I don't need the "large barn" size ... mebbe they have a sample container?
Lubriderm Seriously Sensitive is pretty nongreasy
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:44 PM   #108
amoeba
Writer of Writings

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Milwaukee makes the worst fucking beer in the world.*

*--Do not be offended...this is merely a St. Louisan giving someone from Milwaukee a good-natured ribbing. And besides, it's not like A-B beers are that much better than Miller beers anyway.

I guess we all have our own tastes :p
Old 12-07-2003, 06:33 PM   #109
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Anytime I see a co-worker walk out of the restroom without washing their hands, I'm like, "Ewwww!"
maybe they do the "Ivy League" wash?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #110
juju
no one of consequence

The student paper linked to seems to mainly be supported by the work of Charles Gerba. The student paper references this story, where Gerba is quoted as saying:
Quote:
Toilets have an aerosol effect that remains widely unrecognized. "Droplets are going all over the place -- it's like the Fourth of July. One way to see this is to put a dye in the toilet, flush it, and then hold a piece of paper over it. You'll get what we call a commode-o-graph. Every toilet has a characteristic ... well, that's a whole other story."
Well, I went to Wal-Mart tonight and bought a $1 bottle of red food coloring. After putting much much more than was neccessary in my toilet, I held a blank piece of printer paper directly over the toilet (about 1/2 inch above the seat). After flushing the toilet, the paper turned out to be completely blank.

So, it did not work for me.

(edit:

I forgot to mention -- I stirred the toilet water up with an unused drinking straw, so as to mix and distribute the red dye evenly)

Last edited by juju; 12-07-2003 at 06:41 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:44 PM   #111
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Let's hear it for empiricism!!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:52 PM   #112
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I discovered an error in your lab procedures, Juju. You would have gotten positive results if you'd used the correct media.

Since you used food coloring, you should have held a cake with white buttercream frosting over the toilet. Food color sticks to frosting really well ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:55 PM   #113
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Maybe it's a microbiological thing.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:00 PM   #114
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
The student paper linked to seems to mainly be supported by the work of Charles Gerba. The student paper references this story, where Gerba is quoted as saying:

Well, I went to Wal-Mart tonight and bought a $1 bottle of red food coloring. After putting much much more than was neccessary in my toilet, I held a blank piece of printer paper directly over the toilet (about 1/2 inch above the seat). After flushing the toilet, the paper turned out to be completely blank.

So, it did not work for me.

(edit:

I forgot to mention -- I stirred the toilet water up with an unused drinking straw, so as to mix and distribute the red dye evenly)

congratulations, juju. you have officially supplanted elspode as the poster of the funniest thing i've ever heard.

kudos!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:03 PM   #115
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Maybe it is the type of toilet. With the low-flows and all that non-sense today, maybe there isn't enough water flow for piss mist to happen. We should attempt the same experiment with a gas station public toilet. You know the kind: no tank, rocket engine thrust, will eat entire oranges with no clogging, etc.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #116
juju
no one of consequence

Yeah, I thought about that. I have a "low flow" toilet, so perhaps that is why it didn't work?

The guy definitely seems to be for real. His homepage is here, and it lists the insane amount of scientific articles he's published. The article in question seems to be:<blockquote>Gerba, C.P., C. Wallis, and J.L. Melnick. 1975. Microbial hazards of household toilets. Droplet production and the fate of residual organisms. Appl. Microbiol. 30:229-237.</blockquote>But unfortunately, my university library account only allows me to access articles from 1998 to present (via the internet, that is).

Last edited by juju; 12-07-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:13 PM   #117
juju
no one of consequence

I guess I could try it with a gas station toilet, but I'd feel kind of silly sneaking in there with a piece of paper and a bottle of food coloring. What would I say if I were caught? "Just an incognito FBI operation on your toilet, ma'am. Nothing to worry about."
Old 12-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #118
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Put the items in your coat pocket on the way in. Throw the stuff away in the bathroom trash can.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:24 PM   #119
juju
no one of consequence

Yes, yes, of course.

I'm sure as hell not braving the freezing cold for it, though. If I decide to, it will be at a more opportune moment.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #120
Kitsune
still eats dirt

While living in the dorm, we had one of those gas station-style toilets go completely insane on us. Someone flushed it, the valve broke, and we found ourselves with an ever-flushing toilet.

At first, we were a bit frightened -- it isn't every day that you come across something of this nature -- but after a coming to the conclusion that the campus repair guy wouldn't be around for awhile, we decided that a constantly flushing toilet might be a good thing to have around.

It is not. All the positives of a never-ending water stream are nulled by the fact that while sitting on it you are sprayed with, yes, a fine mist. My roommate was the first to try it and return with the bad news: yes, everything is swept away without any need to push a button, "but you're going to walk away with a drippy ass".