The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-05-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Valedictorian-to-be sues

OK, check out this story and then share your thoughts... but...... this is going to be hard...

I want you to ignore the lawsuit. Just forget it exists.

Why?

Because commentary on this story has essentially boiled down to, "oh, spoiled brat judge's daughter, something goes wrong and she files a lawsuit. Whine whine whine what a crybaby."

I'd like to leave aside the issue of whether a lawsuit is a good or appropriate way to deal with this situation (I would submit that it's not--for several reasons, one being exactly this unsympathetic press coverage), and examine the issue of whether this girl has a beef. Is there actually something wrong with the school naming a co-valedictorian? Why or why not?

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/local/5765325.htm
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 11:49 AM   #2
Cam
dripping with ignorance

If it's true that the other seniors could not achieve the same weighted grades then I think the school is in the right. But if the other students had the ability to achieve the same weighted grade average then the girl has the right to the top honor.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:16 PM   #3
dave

We had this issue back at my school.

I'm sorry, but she's not subject to the same classes, so therefore regular students are not at liberty to have such an "easy" schedule, so therefore the school is in the right by declaring co-valedictorians. I'd go further and say that she is lucky that they even consider her, seeing as she is not subject to classes that other students are required to participate in. It kind of weakens the honor that the regular students get, you know?

Now, as far as the lawsuit... I hope she loses in court, and I believe that she will. $200,000 in compensatory damages? $2.5 million in punitive? What, is she intent on destroying education? Like teachers don't need that money more? And where exactly did she get these numbers?

Here's to you catching a very nasty cold, Ms. Bitch.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #4
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
Hornstine's lawyer said yesterday that his client has been accepted to Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Duke and Cornell Universities but has not yet decided which she will attend.
     Wait, she can't make it through a day of high school yet she's going to one of these schools? What is the importance of this anyway? Could no one else from her school get in? If so that information isn't provided, only suggested. They keep telling us this girl is smart, well we knew that. Where's the info on the other guys?
     What's more, I think this lawsuit shows exactly what type of lawyer she intends to be.
     Also, I think that since she didn't do the full schedule the Principle was within his rights to take that into account. It sucks she has this health problem, but I had friends that got all A's and had to work after school. I can't really feel that bad for her. The sad part is that had she accepted it magnanimously I'd have had a lot of respect for her. The lawsuit scraps that.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Smerconish did a segment on this story the other day ...

My high school (after my graduation) had a similar issue ... a regular full-time student took additional 'independent study' classes and beefed up his GPA sufficiently to edge past the person who had been #1 in that class essentially from grade school. I believe the district eventually disallowed the grades from the independent study classes to be considered for graduation honors but did include them in the overall gpa for college consideration.

They were saying on the radio that the "immune disorder" was chronic fatigue syndrome ... which is newspeak for "too lazy to get out of bed but has a doctor's note".

She had an unfair advantage over her classmates and should not, IMHO, be valedictorian.

What would the district do if a kid who was totally (instead of half) homeschooled qualified for valedictory honors? I don't think we'd be even having this discussion.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:12 PM   #6
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Smerconish did a segment on this story the other day ...
Which side is he on? That counts as at least 10 points towards the other side :-).

They were saying on the radio that the "immune disorder" was chronic fatigue syndrome ... which is newspeak for "too lazy to get out of bed but has a doctor's note".

Isn't that usually accompanied by weight gain, though?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

I say they just give her a zero for gym then re-calculate the grade standings. After all, she didnt take gym, so she earned no credit in it.

But now that she did file a lawsuit, I think they should just give it straight to the other kid(s). It is the school's decision to declare a valedictorian, not the court's.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:15 PM   #8
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

It's not like any of it matters anyway.

When I graduated, our VD received a full scholarship to UT. Sometime during her first year, she had met a busboy at a local greasy-spoon in Corpus (where we went to HS), two years her junior. He was still in school.
Sometime during the summer after our freshamn year in college, she and this dirtbag were our cruising around near the beach. A cop started following them (curious to see what they were doing out late in the area), but because they had beer in the car, and nobody was of age at the time, they decided to flee. Since she had some type of Geo at the time, the cop had no trouble keeping up in his Caprice cruiser with the LS/1. Somehow, she mistook a boat ramp for a driveway, and ended up plunging the car into a canal. She and her boyfriend were okay. His younger friend in the backseat wsan't. From the story I heard, he was unable to push the passenger seat forward and climb out (let's hear it for coupe safety). Negligence charges wer dropped against her, and the last time we spoke, she had not gone back to school.

Being the "slacker" and "goof-off surfer dude" that I am, I would say that my success thus far has measured up a little better, albeit cicumstances of luck and judgement. So a big THBBBT to all those teachers that told me to try harder in school if I wanted to do anything in life. And screw the ruling-class in school, because they just make the rest of us look bad.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:37 PM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

Speaking as an educator...Scrap the whole valedictorian thing, scrap the drinking age. The school board should buy every kid who is still alive at the age of 18 a beer.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Kadri has a valid point.
Since she's been accepted to college and can claim valedictorian on her resume (co, schmo, who'll know) she's just being a c*nt.
She'll do the legal profession proud.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

She doesn't deserve to be valedictorian if she's not held to 100% of the same standards as the other students. I'm with verbatim on this. She should be given a zero for gym and even held back until she finishes it. She's one nasty bitch because it's not enough that she gets the title, but nobody else can share it. My school had two valedictorians with equal GPA's. I hope she not only gets her case thrown out of court, but she's forced to pay court costs and fined for a frivilous law-suit and the schools that accepted her witdraw their offers in light of her poor behavior.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce

She'll do the legal profession proud.
Yep. She's their kinda people. Some people never figure out what to do for a living, this dirtbag was born to it.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #13
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Man, you guys are vicious! Keep it up, but keep in mind the original assignment. (I'll throw in my opinion later when I have time to type it out. Those who know me can probably predict where I'll come down.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Kadri has a valid point.
I covered the asignment.

She's still a c*nt:p
Old 05-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #15
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
examine the issue of whether this girl has a beef. Is there actually something wrong with the school naming a co-valedictorian? Why or why not?
She absolutely does not have a valid beef. She didn't earn the valedictorian title based on the same requirements and merits as the other students. She has no claim to the title at all. I think the school is being kind to allow her to share it with someone else.

She's got the old "It's not enough that I win; everyone else must lose" attitude and it makes me sick.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote