The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Coca-Cola Rewards--not so much

I thought of this after reading Rkz post about boycotting. I wanted to reply, but I also wanted the thread title about Coca-cola in case any of their powers that be might care.

I've been faithfully saving Coca-cola rewards points for months. I am a Diet Coke addict, so I've never begged others for codes...mine just pile up.

Usually, the thing I had in mind was long gone before I had enough points. Until my DVD player at home went out. I went to the Coca-Cola rewards website and sure enough, there was a fairly cheapo Sony DVD player that I had enough points for. Shipping and handling included in points..no money exchange necessary. I was very happy; I have recently gotten rid of all credit/debit cards in an attempt to get my financial life back in order (many of you know that story!) I don't have extra cash lying around to just run out and pick up a new DVD player.

So, Coca-Cola gives me a redemption number to take to Sony's website. I enter all the information. No problems. UNTIL I try to check out.

They ask for a credit card (for security purposes.) As I said, no money was changing hands so I figured they could waive that requirement.

I expressed my concerns and was told by them that it's policy,and it's for security purposes. They said I could use a friend's or family member's card if need be, as no charges would go to the account.

So (still being very polite) I wrote back with these three points:

1) In these days of identity theft how is it MORE secure to use a credit card number when no money is needed in the exchange: Though I'm sure both companies try to keep their sites very secure any identity theft victim will tell you that it does happen.

2) If the card is to identify ME, how does using someone else's card accomplish that? I'm not proving I am who I am, I'm proving I'm someone I'm not, albeit someone I know. Why isn't sending it to my address on file a viable option?

3) If no charges are applied to the account, then Coca-Cola should be happy to use their corporate card account.

I got some canned responses, and did get an actual reply which basically reiterated what they said the first time. There was no response to my specific concerns.

At this point I'm pissed at the poor level of customer service. I'm unhappy that my importance as a long time faithful customer is unimportant in big corporation America.

I wrote back, once again outlining my concerns, but this time in a much more irritated manner. I pointed out that if it didn't matter if I used someone else's card perhaps one of their employees would be so kind as to swipe their card for me.

Here it is, months later. No DVD. They ignore my emails now. My Coca-Cola Rewards points spent on the DVD player are gone.

It's a small thing, but at this point it's the principle. To suggest I use another person's card for no reason? I just don't get it.

Signed,

A potential starter of the NEW Pepsi generation
Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I thought of this after reading Rkz post about boycotting.
That ("One More for the Boycott List?") was Pooka (my wife).
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Shawnee123

Ooops, sorry, I read Rkz name in there and got confused.

My apologies Pooka!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
rkzenrage

Good thread though... I was happy to participate... I too left the Coke family some time ago and just drink what is handy now. A good friend of mine is a retired VP of Coke, he no longer blames me.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That is disgraceful!

Now America is generally considered a very litigious society over here (note word "generally", I am not passing judgement). Is there no way to escalate this?

Apologies for not being clued up on how things work in the US, but I would take this to the Citizen's Advice Bureau or Trading Standards in the UK. I'm not saying they could help me - I haven't been in this situation.

But the point is that the rewards are pitched primarily at people unable to go out and buy these goods easily ie you wouldn't bother saving points for a packet of crackers, right? because it's easier to buy it in a store. So there should be some basic law about what criteria are needed to access the items, or at least a printed disclaimer DO NOT SAVE POINTS UNLESS YOU HAVE A CREDIT CARD.

I'm not saying teh Coke is evil. Just that complaints depts should have over-ride abilities that take into account their customer base. I dunno. I've never gone up against big business, so I'm probably hopelessly naive about what you can achieve (even in this country).
Old 03-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Shawnee123

You're right, we do live in a very litigious society. My sis-in-law who was an attorney here in the States and now in New Zealand talks about what a different world it is.
I'm just hoping that if I complain enough they'll tire of the bad press and give in. This is only my first public stop in Operation GetMyDVDDammit.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
jinx
Come on, cat.

I found that continuously faxing my complaint letter for 3 days got the attention of the company that I was annoyed with (Coldwater Creek).
Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I hate stupid lawsuits, but even the threat to sue would probably get their attention. They took something of yours and never gave you what was intended. Breach of contract?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Definite breach of contract.

Shawnee...do you know anyone who is a good html coder and has some spare time to donate? I'll bet a "Coke Promotions Suck" website would be very, very popular given a little time...and very, very likely to get your grievance addressed in short order.

www.cokepromotionssuck.org seems to be available.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
glatt

If you attract enough people, a class action lawsuit may be in order. There are many law firms out there who would jump at the chance to make some $$ in such a venture if there are enough people. Unfortunately, I bet Coke has the terms of the promotion on their web page somewhere and explicitly outline the credit card thing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
glatt

Your state attorney general's office might be interested to know that the Coke promotion is deceptive. Maybe sending them a letter explaining the situation, and copying Coke, may be all it takes to get your DVD player.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
rkzenrage

Good idea.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I'm not sure it would get you results but it's another burr under their saddle.

If your local TV station has a "consumer reporter" who would do a story, I guarantee Coke would take notice.

For little or nothing you could file a claim in small claims court. If they don't show, you win. Of course collecting is another story, but a court order would give you some leverage.
PA has a little known law that allows you to request the state to shut down all in state business, for an out of state company, if they don't answer a court judgment in a certain time frame.

Don't mail them a bomb.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
You could shoot staples at their mailbox, however.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Thank you Foot3. I needed to laugh today.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote