The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

o/t

I noticed the strategically placed hyphen in the title of the thread, thereby saving a lot of dumb jokes...Well played, UT.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #17
Saknussem
Coronation Incarnate

allergic

I happen to be SEVERELY allergic to insect stings, bites, basically, anything involving them up to and including awkward meetings and shy conversation at cocktail parties.

One of the most dangerous critters in all of North America for me to meet happened actually to friggin WALK ACROSS MY BACK a few years ago. This bad ass beastie was identified to me as a "Lesser Yellow Fuzzy Caterpillar". Why is it so dangerous, you have to ask? No, really, I hear you out there . . . You, with the Dell laptop, I hear you...well, let me tell you...

This thing, this beast from hell is dangerous on two levels:
A) Its legs contain powerful hystamines which cause an person who is allergic to have a reaction including swelling, closing of the muscles around the larynx, itching, sweating, and skin irritation (hives, blisters, etc) and
B) Its cute, little fuzzies all over its back? Well, those have one of the most powerful neurotoxins in North America for its size, and those little bastards get into your skin with all the usual reactions, sweats, hot flashes, cold flashes, numbness, loss of breathing, the usual fun stuff.

All I can say is:Thank GOD for epinephrine and Benedryl. I chugged half a bottle of Bennie, hit myself with my autoinjector, called 911, and passed out on the front steps --woke up with the ambulance guys being worried over me. But I lived to tell the tale (obviously) so now, whenever I see a caterpiller, well, I don't give a shit that some cute ass butterfly is the result, I squash em. bastards. every one of em.

Death to the buggies. Long live the Praying Mantiseses (what the HELL is the plural of that anyway). Ciao
Saknussem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #18
Ibby
erika

I'm gonna refrain from being a bastard and not mention natural selection...
Old 09-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
rkzenrage

Old 09-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #20
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saknussem
I happen to be SEVERELY allergic to insect stings, bites, basically, anything involving them up to and including awkward meetings and shy conversation at cocktail parties.

One of the most dangerous critters in all of North America for me to meet happened actually to friggin WALK ACROSS MY BACK a few years ago. This bad ass beastie was identified to me as a "Lesser Yellow Fuzzy Caterpillar". Why is it so dangerous, you have to ask? No, really, I hear you out there . . . You, with the Dell laptop, I hear you...well, let me tell you...

A) Its legs contain powerful hystamines which cause an person who is allergic to have a reaction including swelling, closing of the muscles around the larynx, itching, sweating, and skin irritation (hives, blisters, etc) and
B) Its cute, little fuzzies all over its back? Well, those have one of the most powerful neurotoxins in North America for its size, and those little bastards get into your skin with all the usual reactions, sweats, hot flashes, cold flashes, numbness, loss of breathing, the usual fun stuff.

All I can say is:Thank GOD for epinephrine and Benedryl. I chugged half a bottle of Bennie, hit myself with my autoinjector, called 911, and passed out on the front steps --woke up with the ambulance guys being worried over me. But I lived to tell the tale (obviously) so now, whenever I see a caterpiller, well, I don't give a shit that some cute ass butterfly is the result, I squash em. bastards. every one of em.

Death to the buggies. Long live the Praying Mantiseses (what the HELL is the plural of that anyway). Ciao
Great post!

I suffer from bouts of angioedema (triggered by anything from insect bites, to heat, to wearing shoes I haven't worn in a week so my skin isn't used to that particular pressure in that particular spot) meaning my capillaries swell, causing my skin to swell, blister, and itch like a thousand bugs are biting me. Unless it would ever happen to affect my esophagus, I'm not in danger of dying from it (though there are those who live with that risk) but man it sucks. I chug the benadryl myself, then am just about unconscious from it!

So now I know about the lesser fuzzy yellow caterpillars. I can see it now "Honey, go kill that fuzzy yellow caterpillar." He'll think I'm bonkers! :p
Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Saknussem, I'd be a city dweller, if I was you.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
Saknussem
Coronation Incarnate

city dwelling

Well, this happened while I was living at
677 ****** Road
Brooklyn, NY

on the front porch, yet.

bastard caterpillars coming to Brooklyn.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:30 AM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

was it one of these?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #24
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Saknussem, I'd be a city dweller, if I was you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saknussem
Well, this happened while I was living at
677 ****** Road
Brooklyn, NY

on the front porch, yet.

bastard caterpillars coming to Brooklyn.
I would lock myself in a concealed room and cry if I was you.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
Saknussem
Coronation Incarnate

Wow, been a while since I have been here.

Morethanpretty posted:

Quote:
I would lock myself in a concealed room and cry if I was you.
I do that anyway, m'dear. I do that anyway.

I have a new tale to tell in the strange allergic life of Saknussem! For those who remember this thread . . .

I have moved from NY to California, in the country California. In the central valley, California. Farmland. Know what they have at farms? Bugs. Lots of them. I went to Yosemite National Park recently, now I live 1 hour from the main gate and 1.5 hours from the Valley Where The Goddess Got Things Right (That is what we call Yosemite Valley http://www.geocities.com/taiwan_rock...valley_wp.jpg). Anyhow, it is FEDERAL LAND, right? While we were up there, I had an encounter with a caterpillar. The damn thing crawled right onto my arm! Christ, why do these things happen to ME!? Anyhow, I shook it off, and my arm is swelling already, ok?, and stomped on the little fucker. Well, CindyLou Park Ranger was RIGHT THE FUCK BEHIND ME! She came over like the proverbial bat out of righteous fury hell and told me I was getting a summons for killing a park animal. This thing carries like a $5k fine. Crap. Well, it turns out the judge is ALSO allergic to bugbites and let me go with a warning to wear long sleeve shirts. The ranger couldn't stop spitting. LOL.

Kill a caterpillar, you might be saving my life!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome back, Sak!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saknussem View Post
Kill a caterpillar, you might be saving my life!
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Because if you do it won't grow up into a butterfly and generations from now my descendants will all be Nazis. It's true, it was in a book.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #28
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saknussem View Post

Sniff. That is the most beautiful essay I've ever read. Caterpillars have ruined America. It's time to fight back! Squash the green goo out of them!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #29
Saknussem
Coronation Incarnate

It was the benedryl talking. I am nowhere near that eloquent, ok? :P
Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #30
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Saknussem, how does this strike you:

Quote:
Residents in the southern seaside town of Marion Bay are battling a caterpillar plague.

Hundreds of thousands of southern army worms have been making their way from farms and crossing the road into shacks and homes.
Full story here.

Very wriggly video available at the above link.