The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

July 13, 2008: Kelburn Castle

Kelburn is supposedly the oldest castle in Scotland to have been continuously inhabited by the same family, and probably built before 1200 AD.
In 1977 the tenth Earl of Glasgow and his wife, opened most of Kelburn’s grounds and gardens to the public and introduced new attractions.
I imagine the upkeep on this place, could put a strain on even an Earl's budget.

This is Kelburn.

This is Kelburn on drugs.

Just kidding about the drugs... I think.

It seems an earlier attempt to restore the castle walls used a cement, or stucco if you will, that is actually damaging the original stone walls, and must be removed/replaced in a couple of years.
So the Earl and his Mrs, got permission from Historic Scotland to bring four (in)famous graffiti artists from Brazil, and paint the place.

They say the project's point is, “whilst challenging the public’s understanding of both urban graffiti art and the British institution the building represents.”

I think, they are trying to draw more tourists to help pay for the massive cement job, only two years away.

Lot's more pictures.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

famous? Whenever the word famous is used to describe an artist it is usually licence to create a mess.

A mural in keeping with the landscape would have been more fitting. I can't stand the fact that someone ghetto-ized a historic monument no less one in Scotland.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
SPUCK
Professor

I fully agree. Major U G L Y.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Ditto.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Plenty of castles in Scotland - yay for something different I say.
Anyway, it's only temporary.

We have a famous graffiti artist in London - Banksy.
So I'm happy to believe they have them in Brazil too.
You have to admit the guys (above) can paint, it's not all tagging and random words.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They were thinking of Banksy when they first dreamed this project up, but later decided to go with the four Brazilians. I don't know why, maybe they were cheaper.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Imigo Jones
Tornado Ali

Location: Used to be woods in town on prairie; now Emerald City

The closer you look, the more interesting certain parts do become.
Quote:
You have to admit the guys . . . can paint.
They can, somewhat, Sundae Girl. Overall, it's pretty cartoony and jumbled, like cluttery illustrations for a children's book. Some of the details are cool, though, showing imagination and craftsmanship beyond what we might typically think of as grafitti. Then again, the faces remain cartoony:

One of several renditions of the Hummel Girl from Ipanema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
A mural in keeping with the landscape would have been more fitting. I can't stand the fact that someone ghetto-ized a historic monument
If that's Brazilian ghetto, skysidhe, it's way more colorful and whimsical than American ghetto. Local grafitti I notice generally consists of that ugly urban gothic lettering (as often seen in NBA and rap stars' tats, only done way too hastily) simply paying tribute to Chicago gangs with local branches or to the taggers themselves.

Disregarding the castle and considering this just as a painting, or as many paintings thrown together, there are parts that have merit. Even taking the castle itself into the equation, parts of the painting work:

In this detail, the stones in the water and along the bank somewhat relate to the castle's stonework.

Here the artists work the architectural elements of their "canvas" into the painting in a creative, appealing way.

I do agree that it's a shame to do this to a historic site. If it is only done for the short term "to draw more tourists to help pay for the massive cement job," though, as Bruce figures, then maybe no permanent harm done. That's assuming the earl doesn't call in the artists to paint the redone walls, too!

The worst aspect of this painting may be in its total disregard for the greater visual context, its zero "keeping with the landscape," as you put it, skysidhe. For it's not just an isolated painting in a frame but architectural design, which--whether part of a cityscape or plopped down in the woods--should harmonize with its surroundings. So, if you want to paint a castle turret, how about something less obtrusive:

Imigo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Interesting points Imigo. I can't imagine any American wanting to cross an ocean to see graphitti but that's just me. I like to keep my image of romantic secluded Europe intact.

At least Bansky is understated xob. I don't understand this premise though.

They say the project's point is, “whilst challenging the public’s understanding of both urban graffiti art and the British institution the building represents.”

It's just one of those thoughts put out there to sell an artists itchy palms. It's an idea wrapped up as an higher thought. Like: Why don't we just leave McDonald's wrappers on the Moon. We would call it trash. Some crack pot would call it urbanizing.

I did though enjoy reading your thoughts Imigo. thanks!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
It's just one of those thoughts put out there to sell an artists itchy palms.
The quote was from the Earl, or his wife, but Ill buy the itchy palms.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
freshnesschronic
Professor

hmmm

I think it's friggin' awesome!
It's a way to break stereotypes and be different.
I'd thoroughly enjoy it if I ever got to see it.

Plus the video on the website is great too.

Last edited by freshnesschronic; 07-13-2008 at 12:20 PM.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

When I was a kid, my mom and stepdad moved to a new house, and the inspection revealed termite damage to the garage. The termites were long since exterminated, but the walls needed to be gutted and most of the studs replaced. So they let me and my brother draw, paint, and bash holes all over the walls before they tore out the drywall. It was a lot of fun.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
hmmm

I think it's friggin' awesome!
It's a way to break stereotypes and be different.
I'd thoroughly enjoy it if I ever got to see it.

Plus the video on the website is great too.
Damn whippersnapper kids got no respect for tradition, for history... get the hell off my lawn!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
It's an idea wrapped up as an higher thought. Like: Why don't we just leave McDonald's wrappers on the Moon. We would call it trash. Some crack pot would call it urbanizing.
Which in itself raises an interesting point. Not re the moon, as no-one owns that. But how much you can treat something of (potentially) public value as a private commodity. And if it is of public value, how much the public should be responsible for its upkeep.

This is a private house. It is in fact of note because it is a private house. To protest - albeit in a subdued way - about how the owners choose to treat that house, especially if they are doing so to prvide funds for its upkeep is surely unreasonable.

However, if everyone with Roman remains on their land decided to build swimming pools/ extensions/ new houses/ supermarkets on them, then where would the rest of us look for heritage?

But then should the rest of the world have to support countries with many items of historical/ architectural interest like Egypt, as they do not have as developed an economy...?

To my mind there should be some national intervention (we have the horribly ineffective & political and bribe-suspected English Heritage). But then we're spoiled by a wealth of history and know we can happily bulldoze plenty without many people being any the wiser. What we got rid of in the 60s! Woooo-eeeee! Progress? Nope. It all had to be rebuilt in the 90s anyway.

I ended up falling in love with the biggest eyesore in my home town. I'd join any campaign to keep it if they suggested pulling it down now. Let it serve as a warning. But if they decided to paint it like Kelburn Castle? Yay! You'd need a few more buckets of paint though.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
snip~ And if it is of public value, how much the public should be responsible for its upkeep.

This is a private house. It is in fact of note because it is a private house. To protest - albeit in a subdued way - about how the owners choose to treat that house, especially if they are doing so to prvide funds for its upkeep is surely unreasonable. snip~
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So the Earl and his Mrs, got permission from Historic Scotland to bring four (in)famous graffiti artists from Brazil, and paint the place.
Does Historic Scotland provide help for owners of this type of property, or just watch them to make sure they don't mess up historical properties?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It's possible they will get a grant for repairs.
Scotland and England do have different laws so I can't be sure.

We lived in a listed building in a conservation area, and to us all it meant was that we had restrictions placed on what we could do to the property and any work done had to be approved in advance then checked after and amended at our own cost if it "wasn't in keeping". We didn't get any help with maintenance.

Not complaining - we knew this when we moved in and we lived in a beautiful setting. And the extension on our cottage wasn't listed (built before listing was applied) so we could do what we wanted to that. Not a problem as it was at the back and invisible to anyone else, but it meant we could have a satellite dish We wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Some conservation areas have restrictions things as minor as door colour. But I understand some American communities have similar restrictions without even the excuse of heritage.