The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

October 31st, 2017: Under

Say what? It’s the first underwater restaurant in Europe, located Båly, Norway.

Quote:
At the southernmost point of the Norwegian coastline by the village of Båly, Snøhetta has designed Europe’s very first underwater restaurant. With its immediate proximity with the forces of nature, the restaurant, which will also function as a research center for marine life, is a tribute to the Norwegian coast and to Lindesnes – to the wild fauna of the sea and to the rocky coastline of Norway’s southern tip.
Under’s namesake holds a double meaning: In Norwegian, “under” can just as well be translated into “wonder.” Half-sunken into the sea, the building’s monolithic form breaks the water surface to lie against the craggy shoreline. More than an aquarium, the structure will become a part of its marine environment, coming to rest directly on the sea bed five meters below the water’s surface. With meter-thick concrete walls, the structure is built to withstand pressure and shock from the rugged sea conditions. Like a sunken periscope, the restaurant’s massive acrylic windows offer a view of the seabed as it changes throughout the seasons and varying weather conditions.
Through its architecture, menu and mission of informing the public about the biodiversity of the sea, Under will provide an under-water experience inspiring a sense of awe and delight, activating all the senses – both physical and intellectual.

Quote:
Under has been designed with sensitive consideration for its geographic context and aquatic neighbors. The sleek, streamlined form of the building is encapsulated in a concrete shell with a coarse surface that invites mussels to cling on. Over time, as the mollusk community densifies, the submerged monolith will become an artificial mussel reef that functions dually to rinse the sea and naturally attract more marine life to its purified waters.
Outside opening hours, parts of the restaurant will be dedicated to a marine biology research center welcoming interdisciplinary research teams studying marine biology and fish behavior. The researchers will also help create optimize conditions on the seabed so that fish and shellfish can thrive in proximity to the restaurant.

Quote:
The building comfortably accommodates 80-100 guests. Muted lighting from the inside of the restaurant and installed on the seabed will help stage the wildlife flourishing on the sandbank outside the 11 x 4-meter(36 x 13 feet) panoramic acrylic window.
As visitors begin their journey through the restaurant they descend through three levels. From the entrance, where the tidepool is swallowed by the sea, guests enter the wardrobe area. Visitors are then ushered down one level to the champagne bar, which marks the transition between the shoreline and the ocean. This physical transformation is emphasized by a narrow acrylic window cutting vertically down through the restaurant levels. From the bar, guests can also look down at the seabed level of the restaurant, where two long dining tables and several smaller tables are placed in front of the large panoramic window.
I played with the first picture to see the layout, I hope I didn't scare the fish.

Sounds expensive, but justifiable to your critics by gushing about the learning experience.

link
Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Admittedly cool.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Darn it, I was hoping to "fake news" this a la the 3D printed bridge, but it really does seem to be the first, in Europe anyway.
But don't worry, Bruce, you can't scare those fish, they are just painted on the window.
Is "wardrobe area" like a coat check? Or maybe something more fun?
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
newtimer
Operations Operative

Those poor fish look in through the window and see people eating their friends and families that didn't escape the net? Horrible! Won't somebody think of the fish?!?
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe they bread everything to fool the fish.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Fish are cannibals. They prolly want some
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtimer View Post
Won't somebody think of the fish?!?
I'm thinking about fish rfn.

With red beans and rice.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote