The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 15th, 2016: Art Riot

No not wanton destruction of art, it is art... they tell me.
An art installation entitled Riot, at he Castor Gallery in NYC, by Kepa Garraza.
Hmm, sounds like a foreign subversive anarchist name to me, better call the Donald.

Quote:
Kepa Garraza’s debut New York exhibition presents a fictitious world of anarchistic protestors and vandalized
artworks and institutions. Garraza focuses on the dramatized versions of social conflicts such as economic
crisis, and the affect the economy has on the value of art.

Garraza’s oil paintings depict the aftermath of rioters vandalizing some of the most recognizable works over
the past couple of decades. The rioters have attacked prestigious institutions and artists in an attempt to
destroy the contemporary art scene and art market. Garraza’s drawings are dedicated to representing the
activists in an intense chiaroscuro technique providing them anonymity and discretion. The artist creates a
parallel reality through his art, drawing attention to the manipulation of imagery and information in media today.
This viewer is forced to live in an uncertain world, full of relative truths. In each piece, the artist attempts to
provoke the viewer into questioning what is truth and what is fiction, highlighting the media’s influence over
our perceptions of reality.
Yeah, well to each his/her own.

I'd rather have art I can snap together and race.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's a terrible thing to do to a Firebird.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't know, it's nice to be able to mix and match panels for formal and informal events, not to mention evading Buford T Justice.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I loved Jackie Gleason because of that movie.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I don't know much about art, but I know what I dislike.

Quote:
Art installation in Italy ended up in the bin by cleaners who thought it was rubbish

The avant-garde art exhibition at a museum in Italy was thrown away by overzealous cleaners
Name:  Rubbish!.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  83.0 KB

Quote:
An avant-garde art exhibition at a museum in Italy ended up being thrown in the bin after overzealous cleaners decided that it must be rubbish.

The installation, entitled “Where shall we go dancing tonight?”, was supposed to represent the hedonism and political corruption of the 1980s.

Created by Sara Goldschmied and Eleonora Chiari, artists from Milan, it consisted of cigarette butts, empty bottles, paper streamers, confetti and discarded shoes and clothing.

When cleaning staff turned up for work at the Museion museum in Bolzano in Italy’s German-speaking Sud Tyrol province, they assumed that the mess was left over from a party the night before.

They promptly started clearing up, throwing the objects into bin bags. They conscientiously divided the items into different recycling sacks for glass, plastic and paper.

“Of course we tell staff not to clean away art,” Letizia Ragaglia, the museum’s curator, told Alto Adige, a local newspaper.

“On Friday night there was an event at the museum. We told the staff just to clean up the foyer and to leave everything else alone."

“Evidently they thought that this area was part of the foyer.”

The mistake came to light before the items were thrown away or sent off for recycling. There are now plans to recreate the installation as it originally looked.

“We’ll put everything back as it was, using photos to help us,” Ms Ragaglia said.

The museum apologised to visitors for the missing installation but promised that it would soon return.

A very similar mix-up befell the British artist Damien Hirst at a London gallery in 2001.

A cleaner assumed that piles of overflowing ashtrays, beer bottles and coffee cups were the remnants of a wild party and threw them away.

"As soon as I clapped eyes on it I sighed because there was so much mess,” said Emmanuel Asare, the cleaner.

"I didn't think for a second that it was a work of art – it didn't look much like art to me. So I cleared it all into bin bags and dumped it."

Daily Telegraph
Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
glatt

Quote:
We told the staff just to clean up the foyer and to leave everything else alone.
85% of problems are caused by top management.

Idiots gave bad instructions.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Right, I wouldn't blame the cleaners one bit. As a matter of fact, they should be a bonus for dealing with that mess. I have a problem with labeling something as art which the average person would think is trash. What the fuck is the good of that crap if you have to explain it's not trash?
Old 05-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Right, I wouldn't blame the cleaners one bit. As a matter of fact, they should be a bonus for dealing with that mess.
I have a problem with labeling something as art which the average person would think is trash.
What the fuck is the good of that crap if you have to explain it's not trash?

Name:  tracey-emin-my-bed.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  54.8 KB

'My Bed' by Tracey Emin.

Quote:
My Bed was bought by Charles Saatchi for £150,000 and displayed as part of the first exhibition when the Saatchi Gallery opened its new premises at County Hall, London (which it has now vacated).
Saatchi also installed the bed in a dedicated room in his own home.

When it was announced, in May 2014, that the work was to be auctioned, David Maupin, Emin's dealer in New York, described the £800,000 – £1.2 million estimate as too low.
When auctioned by Christie's in July 2014, the piece was sold for a little over £2.5 million.
BTW £1 = $1.45. It's probably best not to do that conversion while sipping your afternoon coffee.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hell, even I don't keep Absolut by the bed...

Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A fool and his money...