The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #121
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Not if you change it to "Sycamore."

That you'd remember.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 AM   #122
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

"Terry" is not a bad name at all! In the south, the boys are always getting named "Leslie", that would be much harder to live down.

And "Claudia" is not so terrible, Maude or Agatha would be MUCH worse. But no matter what name they give us we don't like it anyway. Everybody I grew up with wanted to change their name, my cousin actually changed hers twice and now 40 years later she has gone back to the one she was given at birth! Go figure
Old 09-29-2005, 06:17 AM   #123
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ah, but my name is not Claudia! It's the way more French and way more disturbing Claudette! Think of the possibilities! Clod-hopper, Clod; and the rednecks have an amusing way of attempting to spell it---Klaw-det. As in, "You know that Klaw-det girl?" Sigh. But, I'm stuck with it. Thanks for the support, though, ya'll. It's just that 'Jenny' would've been so much easier!

PS--thanks, footfootfoot! That really made my day today!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 09-29-2005 at 06:19 AM. Reason: to thank footfootfoot
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:21 AM   #124
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

no no no no nooooo! A jenny is a female donkey, and don't think all the other kids would not have known that. What sounds great at the time might turn out to be even worse
Old 09-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #125
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I like Claudette better than Brianna. Then again, I'm retarded. ;-)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:14 AM   #126
SmartAZ
Confounded Conjuror

I spent some time in Georgia. I met a man named Geoffrey and his sister Claudia. But it's not what you think. His name was pronounced "Goffry" and hers was "Clay-uda". The parents found the names in a book, but had never heard anyone speak them!
SmartAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:50 PM   #127
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

...told ya!....
Old 09-29-2005, 06:01 PM   #128
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

I hate to point out the obvious, but why don't you just use you middle name. Sometimes middle names are more desireable than first names. Not that Claudette isn't bad, I'm just saying...

In all honesty, you can use any name you want. And a name change is frieghteningly easy, at least in AZ. I had a stalker-ex-girlfriend who had changed her name several times within a couple of years span. Yeah, first she took my last name, then she changed her first name, then she changed her whole name to [first name] [middle name] Kendedy Clinton. She also swore her address was 1600 Pennsylvania Ave....yeah you heard me.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #129
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Shannon's a chick name here in the states ... primarily anyway. There are a small number of guys with that name, but they get the shit kicked out of them a lot.
i wonder how much a name can shape you. guys named 'Leslie' tend to be hard asses because it's either you get fucked with, or you get scary enough that people just don't. there was a boy in my high school named Stacey. he was a skin head. he was little, but people were scared of him. If your name is 'Leopold' or Alouicious', i wonder if you tend to be brainy. Kids named 'Max' are usually hyper. is it self fulfilling, or can a parent sense what kind of a kid they have growing in the womb somehow? My kids' names fit purt dern well, i think, as unusual as they are.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #130
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

it's a good thing Leslie Nielsen is funny! maybe that's how he got his sense of humor, by joking his way out of fights in school.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #131
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs
... I had a stalker-ex-girlfriend who had changed her name several times within a couple of years span. Yeah, first she took my last name, then she changed her first name, then she changed her whole name to [first name] [middle name] Kendedy Clinton. She also swore her address was 1600 Pennsylvania Ave....yeah you heard me.
Do I know her, by any chance? A surprising number of Arizona's crazy people relocate to my county.

The ones we try to swap come back here. The foreigners tend to stay, which is very, very frustrating.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-30-2005, 02:06 AM   #132
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Wolf, I swear this is the truth: In the early 90's when I was living in Phoenix, the Sheriff's Department used to take the people who they did not know what to do with after they were released from jail and buy them a bus ticket to Los Angeles, give them $100, and tell them not to come back. This included a predominence of alcoholics and mental cases I guess, who had no place to go except hang around Phoenix and get arrested again. Los Angeles found out what they were doing and threw a major fit. You would have thought they intended to track down every one of that flotsam and ship it right back to Phoenix, but I doubt they could have caught them all. However, the tremendous heat and bad publicity that got dumped on law inforcement in Phoenix put an abrupt end to this "final solution" of theirs
Old 09-30-2005, 05:26 AM   #133
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Where did they send them after that? New Orleans?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #134
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You know that kid's movie, the one with the pony, and the rich kid and the poor kid arguing over who owns it?

Philadelphia PD and Lower Merion PD (a suburban township in my county) do the same thing with crazy people on City Line Avenue, which divides their jurisdictions.

However, instead of calling them, they're trying to encourage them to finish crossing the street in the other direction.

Philadelphia PD wins a lot more often. And then LMPD brings me their prize.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #135
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
...Sheriff's Department used to take the people who they did not know what to do with after they were released from jail and buy them a bus ticket to Los Angeles, give them $100, and tell them not to come back.
Nahhhh, that never happens