The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-28-2005, 01:31 AM   #76
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

haha my nanna and my dog is named Daphne. its cute!!

ok ill try...

Enid
Dolly
Betty
Fleur
joy

Bri = will you even tell us if one of us DO guess it?!?!?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #77
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The origin of sycamore
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:15 AM   #78
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

you know---ONE of you is suspiciously CLOSE to guessing my real name! Wolf knows what it is of course (she has to, for bail reasons) so maybe you should try bribing her?

I'll give you a hint: it's not Bernadette, or Brigid, or any of those conflagurations. It's a name that could be Latin or French. And, it has an "A" in it. It's gross. I hate it. I would've killed to be a Niki, or a Jennifer, or similar.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #79
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Merna
Mernae
Marguerite
Louise-Hélène
Felicienne-Hélène
Old 09-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #80
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Undertoad is right...it's Mulva.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #81
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Not Mulva. Not Delores. Not Wanda (although, I once was called a Wicked Wanda) and not Bertha. Not hyphenated. Shakespeare used a form of my real name in a play. That's it! No more hints! you'll guess it and then have power over me!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 09-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #82
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Hortensia?
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #83
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Portia?
Magdala?

sunsparks: Terry?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #84
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Miranda
Isabella
Beatrice
Old 09-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #85
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Margaret
Cordelia
Ophelia
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #86
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

minerva
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #87
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Here, just put a check mark next to the one that is closest.

<CENTER>Female Characters in Shakespeare's Plays</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><TABLE width="75%"><TBODY><TR align=left><TH align=left>Adriana</TH><TD align=left>Comedy of Errors</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Aemilia</TH><TD align=left>Comedy of Errors</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Alice</TH><TD align=left>Henry IV</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Andromache</TH><TD align=left>Troilus & Cressida</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Anne Page</TH><TD align=left>Merry Wives of Windsor</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Audrey</TH><TD align=left>As You Like It</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Beatrice</TH><TD align=left>Much Ado About Nothing</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Bianca</TH><TD align=left>Taming of the Shrew, Othello</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Calpurnia</TH><TD align=left>Julius Caesar</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Cassandra</TH><TD align=left>Troilus & Cressida</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Celia</TH><TD align=left>As You Like It</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Ceres</TH><TD align=left>The Tempest</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Charmian</TH><TD align=left>Antony & Cleopatra</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Cleopatra</TH><TD align=left>Antony & Cleopatra</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Constance</TH><TD align=left>King John</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Cordelia</TH><TD align=left>King Lear</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Cressida</TH><TD align=left>Troilus & Cressida</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Desdemona</TH><TD align=left>Othello</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Diana</TH><TD align=left>All's Well that Ends Well, Pericles</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Dionyza</TH><TD align=left>Pericles</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Dorcas</TH><TD align=left>Winter's Tale</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Emilia</TH><TD align=left>Winter's Tale, Othello</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Francisca</TH><TD align=left>Measure for Measure</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Gertrude</TH><TD align=left>Hamlet</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Goneril</TH><TD align=left>King Lear</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Helen</TH><TD align=left>Troilus & Cressida, Cymbeline</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Helena</TH><TD align=left>Midsummer Night's Dream, All's Well that Ends Well</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Hermia</TH><TD align=left>Midsummer Night's Dream</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Hermione</TH><TD align=left>Winter's Tale</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Hero</TH><TD align=left>Much Ado About Nothing</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Hippolyta</TH><TD align=left>Midsummer Night's Dream</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Imogen</TH><TD align=left>Cymbeline</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Iras</TH><TD align=left>Antony & Cleopatra</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Iris</TH><TD align=left>The Tempest</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Isabella</TH><TD align=left>Measure for Measure</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Jessica</TH><TD align=left>Merchant of Venice</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Julia</TH><TD align=left>Two Gentlemen of Verona</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Juliet</TH><TD align=left>Romeo & Juliet, Measure for Measure</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Juno</TH><TD align=left>The Tempest</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Katharina</TH><TD align=left>Taming of the Shrew</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Lavinia</TH><TD align=left>Titua Andronicus</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Luce</TH><TD align=left>Comedy of Errors</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Lucetta</TH><TD align=left>Two Gentlemen of Verona</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Luciana</TH><TD align=left>Comedy of Errors</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Lychorinda</TH><TD align=left>Pericles</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Margaret</TH><TD align=left>Much Ado About Nothing</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Maria</TH><TD align=left>Twelfth Night</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Mariana</TH><TD align=left>All's Well that Ends Well, Measure for Measure</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Marina</TH><TD align=left>Pericles</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Miranda</TH><TD align=left>The Tempest</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Mopsa</TH><TD align=left>Winter's Tale</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Nerissa</TH><TD align=left>Merchant of Venice</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Octavia</TH><TD align=left>Antony & Cleopatra</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Olivia</TH><TD align=left>Twelfth Night</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Ophelia</TH><TD align=left>Hamlet</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Patience</TH><TD align=left>Henry VIII</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Paulina</TH><TD align=left>Winter's Tale</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Perdita</TH><TD align=left>Winter's Tale</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Phebe</TH><TD align=left>As You Like It</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Phrynia</TH><TD align=left>Timon of Athens</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Portia</TH><TD align=left>Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Quickly (Mistress)</TH><TD align=left>Merry Wives of Windsor, Henry IV</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Regan</TH><TD align=left>King Lear</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Rosalind</TH><TD align=left>As You Like It</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Rosaline</TH><TD align=left>Romeo & Juliet</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Silvia</TH><TD align=left>Two Gentlemen of Verona</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Tamora</TH><TD align=left>Titua Andronicus</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Thaisa</TH><TD align=left>Pericles</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Timandra</TH><TD align=left>Timon of Athens</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Titania</TH><TD align=left>Midsummer Night's Dream</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Ursula</TH><TD align=left>Much Ado About Nothing</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Valeria</TH><TD align=left>Coriolanus</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Viola</TH><TD align=left>Twelfth Night</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Violenta</TH><TD align=left>All's Well that Ends Well</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Virgilia</TH><TD align=left>Coriolanus</TD></TR><TR align=left><TH align=left>Volumnia</TH><TD align=left>Coriolanus</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #88
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Wow, Hobbs! Impressive! BUT! I only said he used a FORM of my name---coulda been a MALE character---a feminization of a guy's name, couldn't it?

—James Barrie

Old 09-28-2005, 10:52 AM   #89
mrnoodle
bent

Let's see. French-Canuck, Irish, Catholic. Form used in Shakespeare. Contains "A".

From Hobbs' helpful list, Francisca and Margaret seem to fit best. Of the two, Margaret has the most variants...the most French being Marguerite. Similar Gaelic names are Marge, Madge, etc.

But Margaret isn't an iconic Shakespearian character, and that connection isn't likely to be made for most people....unless Bri is misdirecting us...

I've thought myself into a corner. I need one more clue. Till then, I guess Margaret.

edit: crap, didn't think of male names. List, Hobbs?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #90
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Wolf knows what it is of course (she has to, for bail reasons) so maybe you should try bribing her?
I know it too, remember? *ahem* Feel free to start the bidding.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote