The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

June 6, 2009: Pussy Cat

I thought Kolbenfresser was going to put one up, maybe he meant tonight.
So for your viewing pleasure we have a pussy cat named Sheena...
Quote:
Sheena was brought in to the Santago Rare Leopard Project from a UK zoo when she was just four months old.
The African leopard can be found in the continent's forests, grasslands, savannas, and rainforests. The leopard is the most elusive of all the big cats. They are solitary animals and are primarily nocturnal - preferring to hunt at night. The species is also a strong climber and is capable of killing prey larger than itself. The leopard's prey ranges from fish, reptiles and birds to smaller mammals such as hares and monkeys. A stealthy hunter, leopards are known to stalk close to their prey and run a relatively short distance on the hunt.
They kill by grabbing their prey by the throat and biting down with their jaws, and store their larger kills in trees - out of the reach of prowling lions and hyenas.
But Sheena met her match in Rattus Norvegicus...

Quote:
It's not so much snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, as dinner from the jaws of danger. But even the imposing presence of an adult leopard at feeding time is not enough to get between plucky young Rattus Norvegicus (better known as the brown rat) and a free meal. This extraordinary series of images were captured by photography student Casey Gutteridge, as he trained his camera on the leopard for a course project.

Quote:
Mr Gutteridge said: 'I have no idea where it came from - he just appeared in the enclosure after the keeper had dropped in the meat for the leopard. 'He didn't take any notice of the leopard, just went straight over to the meat and started feeding himself. 'But the leopard was pretty surprised - she bent down and sniffed at it and flinched a bit like she was scared. 'It was amazing, even the keeper who had thrown the meat into the enclosure was shocked - he said he'd never seen anything like it before.'
An expert at the Wildlife Trust said the creature was in fact a young and 'inexperienced rat', identifiable by its big paws and ears and more importantly its bald, scaly tail with a thick base.
And evidently, very large balls.

link
Old 06-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I've read there is a parasite whose life cycle involves being in a rat, then a cat, and which affects the rats brain causing it to lose its fear of open spaces. Maybe this little guy has that. Either that, or huge cajones.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
SPUCK
Professor

Looks like one of my chicken pen rats. I lift the coop door with my foot because half the time there's a rat under it.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

The correct name for that rat is Rattus Norvegicus Dumassus Dieyoungus.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Spudcon, 1,000 posts! May you live much longer than this little rodent.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Thanks Zen, I'm sure most anything has lived longer than that particular rat. Actually in a few more days I'll be advancing deeper into the realm of geezerdom..
Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

That rat was most likely on pot. That's the kind of shit you do when you take that stuff. (my Dad)......
Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Reefer Madness!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Relative of the rat below.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
LasloHlyfeld
Neophyte-in-training

@ZenGum: I believe the parasite you're thinking of is called Toxoplasmosis.

Also, today's images brought this classic caption to mind:

LasloHlyfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
@ZenGum: I believe the parasite you're thinking of is called Toxoplasmosis.
Yes, this is the reason why pregnant women aren't supposed to change the shitty litter...
Rats/mice that have been exposed tend to be attracted to cat piss, instead of repelled by it.
I remember reading that people exposed to the parasite are more likely to be/have been in car accidents and their might be an effect on reflexes/reaction times among other things. Crazy shit.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I bet that rat's name was D-CON.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

If that rat ever connected the dots - or spots - it would faint away. But perhaps we should give a meat-eating rat more credit as a formidable opponent, at least to that captive leopard.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #14
vocalperk
Profitable Prophet

my gosh, that cat is so pretty.
vocalperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #15
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
If that rat ever connected the dots - or spots - it would faint away. But perhaps we should give a meat-eating rat more credit as a formidable opponent, at least to that captive leopard.
Point of fact, rats are omnivorous. They'll eat anything if given the chance. They can be neophobic about food but once they've tried it (or smelled it on another rat's breath) they'll eat it. A bit of choice meat is a great lure for a rat that's had it already. Mine will clamor at the cage doors if they think I've got slightly meaty rib or chicken bones for them.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote