The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-15-2004, 01:25 AM   #16
bjlhct
Theremin Master

better analogy - airlines

Yes, most people think that the occasional strip searches, the taking off of shoes, the searching of bags, the associated costs, all the various things that waste your time and money without making you safer, are all worthwhile. Not only that, but it's mandated by the government. If you don't like it, not only is there not a competitor to go to that doesn't do this - the government forbids there being one. Ah, the irony of the conservative promising to shrink government and instead nationalizing airport security and raising spending to WWII levels.

See, worrying about the sniper shooting you is an irrational fear. Go look up the murder rate in your area. Go look up the traffic deaths in your area. Worrying about terrorists on planes as much as they are worried about - also an irrational fear. And if there's one thing I know about fear, it's that it's better to deal with your fear than be afraid for the rest of your life. Continuous fear makes you stupid and manipulatable - in short, more vulnerable.

I am incredibly fed up with the incompetence of the government. I've dealt with politicians - they really are clueless and delusional. The latest threat is the "terrists." Obviously, we need a non-working missile defense system and gameable airport security to stop them. Obviously we need to give the government more power to arrest the wrong people. Obviously

And yet, whenever I start to hate this incompetence most, I see the representatives of the majority faith in establishment that makes me realize that yes, the people as a whole get the government they deserve. I am reminded that civilization is still in its infancy, that all our technology is crude but effective, that we can only live here by the amazing chance hospitability of Earth and that we are ruining that. I am reminded that society has progressed only through trial and error. I am reminded that the potential for progress is impossible to seize because of this. I am reminded that without the past mistakes that have created culture and tradition, people couldn't see what to do to save their lives. I am reminded that our civilization hangs by a thread.

/rant
bjlhct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:42 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't you think people, seeing the evidence of the "various things that waste your time and money without making you safer", feel something "must" be going on behind the scenes that IS effective, also?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #18
nioupy
Rapscallion

I'm a terrorist, i can't take pictures... right...
hum, yes well, these nice embeded cameras would give me an help taking pictures without anyone noticing...

I'm a tourist with a bunch of friends having fun in holidays, i can't take pictures... right. i can't. F#### that !

I'm a photographer, I wan't to take a picture for any reason. I just can't ?

I'm a [stupid] terrorist... why would i need pictures to place a bomb somewhere ? I'm a terrorist in an organised band ? why couldn't I have the information i need in some other way ?

is it forbidden to take pictures in subway in london ? oups, i think i should have had a few fines so
nioupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Ever since I got smacked at the Port of Tampa for taking pictures, I've been thinking about what the real reasons are for preventing people from photographing sites because this would do nothing to prevent terrorism. Public transportation, trains, and industrial plants are all high on the list. I was quickly reminded that photographers often bring to light a lot issues with these things: photographing industrial pollution and waste mismangement, transportation safety issues, etc. A lot of people are also indicating that it is being done because no revenue is gained from people taking photographs and to gain permission now costs money. Many state parks now charge huge fees (scroll down to "Photography Fees") and will stop you even if you have a professional-looking camera (any SLR, anything with a long lens, anything that is not a dispo, etc). There is a lot of money to be made and even more illegal/hazardous activity to cover up by prohibiting photography.

It is extremely important that these rights remain. And, to anyone else out there who loves to carry a camera around town, I highly suggest you print out and carry with you The Photographer's Right Booklet.

Forgotten New York has a photographic and written account of the protest.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #20
jaguar
whig

I know in british parks I've copped some pretty awsome fees for wanting to carry in pro-class gear. Switzerland is hell for street photographers, police often harass and if you photograph anything 'intimate' (ranging from a hug to an injury) you can be fined up to 6 grand PER PHOTO .
Old 06-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #21
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami

Bleaker than hell, ain't it? Is "bleaker" a word?

I assume that by "no one" you are referring to the ambiguous, largely stupid "general public." The same general public who values safety over freedom. Unfortunately, the stupidity of many often outweighs the intelligence of the few.
Not just the general public. Most people who would consider themselves above that level and claim to value freedom. But you start coming up with specific examples and they suddenly change their tune.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote