The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-13-2001, 01:01 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/13: Sydney brothel and signage

It's the inevitable reaction of what to do about every single possible problem that might arise from granting people controlversial freedoms. I don't know how much controversy surrounded the idea of permitting brothels, but now there's a controversy over the signs. On one side, people want to feel that the whole thing is being managed somehow so they feel safer. On the other hand, they don't want a bunch of advertising which may stir up undesirable effect.

So, as far as I can tell, the problem seems to be addressed with massive amounts of bureaucracy. I found one PDF that referenced not only safe sex but zoning, parking of cars, discreet appearances, linen (!), storage and handling of contaminated waste (!), and much more.

All of this pushing against the fact that people <i>pretty much do what they want to do anyway</i>.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:46 PM   #2
dave

I still seriously think that legalizing prostitution would be a great idea here in the US. People are going to do what they want to do. Some people like to fuck for money. Some people can't get fucked unless they give up some money. No reason that should be illegal, 'cause no one is getting hurt. Yes, I do think it should be protected sex. I think that licensed prostitutes should be checked for disease every 30 days. I think the government could tax it and make a shitload of money. Plus, prices for the services could go down. People would feel better about spending the money. It's all good, all around. I don't see the problem with it. Seriously. I don't see why it's so taboo. People have sex. People fuck. You wouldn't be here if dad didn't stick his penis in mom, so why do you think it's so bad? Why is a sign such a big deal?
Old 12-13-2001, 02:02 PM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Well, it certainly provides the local authorities with some marvelous new opportunities for graft, doesn't it? ;-)

This is the country with a "national continence management strategy", including an interactive Public Toilet Map . I suppose if I was older I might find this governement service to be a blessing. As it is, I'm just bemused by it.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 03:39 PM   #4
juju
no one of consequence

Personally, I find the idea of "random inspections" kinda creepy.

I mean, you're having your way with some prostitute and then all of a sudden Joe Cop wants to come in and inspect you and make sure you've got your raincoat on? What is that about??

New campaign slogain for Sydney: "Keep the government out of our bedrooms!"
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 03:53 PM   #5
dave

I would imagine "random inspections" would be the authorities showing up at the place to make sure they have plenty of condoms, are clean, they take out the "soiled" goods, etc. Just like the restaurant business. I doubt they'd be busting into fuckrooms and demanding proof of protection.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:54 PM   #6
alleycat
Alphabetarian

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
This is the country with a "national continence management strategy", including an interactive Public Toilet Map . I suppose if I was older I might find this governement service to be a blessing. As it is, I'm just bemused by it.
LOL - thanks. that made my afternoon.

and i guess i can see the utility of this, but my oh my, who comes up with these things?

traffic will be easier to take - i'll probably still be chuckling.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:09 PM   #7
dave

I didn't want to make a smartass comment about it 'cause I try not to troll, and Jaggypoo might get offended. But... it is pretty humorous I actually went and checked it out. It's godawfully slow for me, but I still got to see it and play around with it.

It's funny to think - will this be built into Australian cars in 10 years?

"Need to piss! Where do I go?"

"Well mate, turn left at this here street up here, and go down 3 blocks. There's a public toilet just on the right."
Old 12-13-2001, 04:29 PM   #8
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Whoa, at this point we're 6 replies and 62 views into it and no one has protested against publicly licensed prostitution. Didn't expect it to go so one-sided. Doesn't anyone object to this anymore?

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;For myself I didn't have an opinion on this subject either way untill I was influenced by the words of George Carlin. He said, "If selling is legal and fucking is legal then why isn't selling fucking legal?"

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I couldn't argue with that. It just makes sense to me. Of course, I've always leaned towards letting the law protect us from physical harm and leave the morality to individual choice.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Speaking of Jag isn't that the back of his head in the photo? I wonder why he's acting so cool?
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:26 PM   #10
Bitman
cellar smellar

The picture makes it look like the sign is 30 feet up in the air! Who can even read the thing??

What I find truly strange is that the sign is posed in the middle of the street. Why do drivers and passers-by need to know this? Are they worried about streams of fluids running out into the street? Take a hint from the restaurant business, and put the sign in a window of the establishment.

-B
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:22 PM   #11
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I actually went and checked it out. It's godawfully slow for me, but I still got to see it and play around with it.)
I did too, but got bored with waiting for it to load--it does warn that it needs to cache a lot of stuff before it gets rolling. I guess the message here is get your cache loaded before you need to go.

Old 12-13-2001, 10:23 PM   #12
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitman
The picture makes it look like the sign is 30 feet up in the air!
If it wasn't it would probably be stolen for a souvenir within minutes.

Old 12-13-2001, 11:08 PM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I still seriously think that legalizing prostitution would be a great idea here in the US.
I don't know the stats, but I don't hear a whole lot of squawking out of Nevada.

Kurt Schmoke proposed making Howard St. in downtown Baltimore a red-light district when he was mayor. San Francisco has the tenderloin district, which might as well be a free-for-all. Hell, we have Walnut and 13th here, along with Hunting Park. I'm all for hookers getting licensed, inspected/tested, the whole 9 yards. Why not?

Although...I still don't get the whole concept of prostitution. Truth be told, I think I could head down to Delaware Ave. or South St. right now at 12:05 am in Philadelphia on a Thursday night/Friday morning, meet a gal, shack up with her, and think nothing of it the next day. Although, that could get a bit messy (feelings).

(And for the record, I could NEVER do something like that. I don't have the cojones, nor the heart.)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 07:32 AM   #14
lisa
Etherial

A friend and I were discussing legal prostution one day and we came up with one comment regarding the conditions of legalization.

Prostitution should never be treated exactly the same as any other job. E.G. If I was collecting unemployment, they should NOT be able to say "What do you mean you can't find a job? There are lots of prostitution jobs available for a woman your age!"

If someone WANTS to do it, MAYBE that's okay. But no one should ever be put in a position of being pressured by any rules or regulations to enter that "business".
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 07:50 AM   #15
alleycat
Alphabetarian

Quote:
Originally posted by lisa
A friend and I were discussing legal prostution one day and we came up with one comment regarding the conditions of legalization.

Prostitution should never be treated exactly the same as any other job. E.G. If I was collecting unemployment, they should NOT be able to say "What do you mean you can't find a job? There are lots of prostitution jobs available for a woman your age!"

If someone WANTS to do it, MAYBE that's okay. But no one should ever be put in a position of being pressured by any rules or regulations to enter that "business".
now there's an interesting angle. i personally have no problem with legalized prostitution. but the above raises questions of "how is it different?". anyone sane knows it is, but i'm pointing up the governmental morass you'd have there. i can just imagine the friggin' talking heads now.

arghh. maybe we're better off with it being illegal <g>
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote