The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #391
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
At least it has helped bring down another government subsidized criminal organization marauding as a service organization. They shouldn’t have any problem in getting people to donate to their defense against ACORN.
BS - The organization and the principles upon which it was founded are things that I think we need in this country.

That is what upsets me the most - This WAS a great thing that became corrupt IN SOME AREAS.

I feel they are way too big and way too involved with elected officials and influence...whatever. That they have 300+ whatever sub organizations and all that. Its just out of hand. Power corrupts - and it got too big.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #392
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
BS - The organization and the principles upon which it was founded are things that I think we need in this country.
That was lost on these people a Loooooonggg time ago. What ever it was they started as is no longer significant. We just need to excise the cancer.

Quote:
I feel they are way too big and way too involved with elected officials and influence...whatever. That they have 300+ whatever sub organizations and all that. Its just out of hand. Power corrupts - and it got too big.
True dat.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #393
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

BREAKING NEWS, MUST CREDIT CELLAR POSTER KALIAYEV!!!!

I have obtained proof of corruption at the highest levels of government! Here is an explosive collection of emails that I obtained after several months of investigation into the illegitimate (and dare I say, foreign) administration of Obama.

To: bhusseinobama@whitehouse.gov
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:57 PM
Subject: Your help required

Dear President Obama,

I am writing you to ask for your help, as a voter and admirer of your phat speeches and fly clothes. My underage girlfriend and me are finding it difficult to secure funding for a small business venture that involves a game-changing marketing plan for running hos. The banks do not want to lend to us because of some trumped up charges related to race hustling that was put on me in my former position as Chicago City Comptroller. But you promised to help people like us so we hereby demand that you show us the best way to get around the legal requirements of disclosure for a bank loan. Also we want a patent on my bitch’s pussy technique.

Thank you and best regards,
A Former Chicago City Comptroller

To: xxxxx@xxxxx
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:32 PM
Subject: RE: Your help required

WITH THE COMPLIMENTS OF BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA

I am Barack Hussein Obama, son of the late Head of State of the Federal Republic of Kenya, General Mbeke Abacha Boogaloo Ayatollah Obama who died under mysterious circumstances on the 8th of June 1998 After the death of my father, myself and members of my family including my mother have been put through hell with interrogations, on account of corruption and mismanagement of public funds by my late father. The aftermath of these interrogation has led to the continuous effort of the new President with co-operation from the Swiss government and other European countries to freeze, confiscate and recover monies belonging to my late father which were deposited in Swiss Bank accounts and in Bank Accounts in other European countries. Our movement has been restricted , our travel documents seized and we have been forced to refund quite a huge amount of money which we earned through legitimate Government deals executed using the influence of my late father.

The reasons given by the present government for the harassment of my family constitutes a massive witch-hunting exercise by the numerous enemies made by my father in his bid to self succeed himself as President of Kenya before his death. These people presently control the socio-political structure and the economy of the country and are themselves guilty of the same crimes of non-accountability and probity leveled against my father. It is a known fact that there is not one member of the present political class that have not been involved in corrupt practices in and out of the Government and have themselves amassed huge deposits in Foreign Banks. Fortunately, just after the death of my father, my mother in anticipation of the present action of the new Government made arrangements to secretly move the sum of One Hundred and Fifty Five Million Dollars(US$155,000,000.00) in cash for safe-keeping in a security vault. These funds have been in the vault since then and we feel that it is now necessary to move the funds out of Kenya for fear of discovery and confiscation by the new regime in Kenya. We are therefore seeking a business partner with banking co-coordinates capable of accommodating such huge amounts and is able to manage or nominate trustees to manage these funds in the interim as we watch the political situation in Kenya unfolds. Your main responsibility would be to assist in receiving the funds, investment of same in worthwhile ventures you consider profitable and for obvious reasons and as such must insist that all arrangements are made in your name. For your assistance and confidentiality in these matters we would be willing > to offer to you upon negotiations an agreeable percentage of the total sum and on the > profit accruing from the net investment.

I am absolutely positive that this arrangement will be of mutual benefit to both of us and I think that it is of utmost importance that you reach me through my > personal email address stating your telephone and fax numbers and I would give you a telephone call to discuss the matter further and if we reach an acceptable arrangement, then we can proceed further. Finally, I crave your indulgence to treat this letter with utmost seriousness and I trust that this will be the beginning of a long lasting business relationship.

Best Regards,
Barack.

------------------------

More on this chilling expose, later!
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #394
Idemosaka
Adorable Lesbian

:sodamonitor:
Idemosaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #395
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

+ =
Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #396
classicman

Quote:
USA TODAY’s Judy Keen and William Welch reported last week: “The Internal Revenue Service said it will no longer partner with ACORN to provide free tax advice.
WTH - why were they partnering with them in the first place?

Quote:
With no fanfare and no roll call vote, not even a speech -- the Senate on Tuesday unanimously approved an amendment by Sen. Mike Johanns, R-NE, that bars any funds from the Defense spending bill from going to ACORN.

Johanns promised to introduce a similar amendment on every spending bill Congress considers this year, until the chamber takes up his broader bill that would impose permanent ban on ACORN receiving any federal funds.

It took the Senate a little over one minute to consider the measure.
So they can actually make a decision when they need to - Thats good to know. Seems like it normally takes them months to do anything.

Quote:
Just days after Bank of America Corp. said it was suspending its business ties with the community group ACORN and its housing arm, a bank executive has resigned from the board of ACORN Housing, according to a Wall Street Journal report.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #397
classicman

Here is an interesting link from an advisor to ACORN dated January 2008.
They were well aware of problems even that long ago and chose not to rectify them.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #398
classicman

Quote:
Acorn Offices in New Orleans Are Raided
Acorn Offices in New Orleans Are Raided

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: November 6, 2009

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — State investigators raided Acorn’s offices here on Friday, taking hard drives and documents in an investigation into accusations of embezzlement and tax fraud when the group’s national headquarters was in New Orleans.

“This is an investigation of everything — Acorn, the national organization, the local organization and all of its affiliated entities,” said David Caldwell, an assistant attorney general.

A lawyer for Acorn said in a statement that the raid was prompted by accusations that former Acorn employees had removed or altered electronic documents and might do so in the future.

The lawyer, Pamela Marple, said investigators wanted “virtually every document in the possession of Acorn and any related entity.”

The raid was the latest in a string of troubles for Acorn. Videotapes released recently showed two people posing as a pimp and a prostitute seeking advice on tax evasion at Acorn offices. The responses given by the Acorn workers in the tapes led Congress and state governments to cut financing for the organization.

State prosecutors said their investigation into the New Orleans offices stemmed from accusations involving embezzlement at Acorn nearly a decade ago that were made last year by board members.

Last year, Acorn settled an internal dispute and a lawsuit involving accusations that Dale Rathke, the brother of the group’s founder, Wade Rathke, made about $948,000 in improper credit card charges in 1999 and 2000. The Rathke family and a donor repaid the money, and no criminal charges were ever filed.

Last month, Louisiana’s attorney general, James D. Caldwell, the father of David Caldwell, said he would investigate accusations that the embezzlement might have been as high as $5 million.

For 33 years, Acorn’s national headquarters was in New Orleans after Wade Rathke moved there in the 1970s from Little Rock, Ark., where he started the organization. The embezzlement scandal led the organization to move its headquarters to Washington this year, allowing the national organization to distance itself from the Rathkes.
This could get much more interesting.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #399
classicman

Quote:
ACORN sued the U.S. government Thursday for stripping the nonprofit of funding after employees were caught giving tax advice to a couple they thought was a pimp and his hooker.

The lawsuit, filed in Brooklyn Federal Court, seeks to lift a funding ban put into effect on Oct. 1 in the wake of national outrage over the embarassing scandal.

ACORN staffers were captured on hidden cameras at several offices nationwide, including in Brooklyn, advising the couple to hide their income.

"The charges leveled against ACORN by members of Congress such as that it is a 'criminal enterprise,' or a 'corrupt and criminal organization,' or a 'crooked bunch' are false," the complaint said.

The complaint does not specify how much money the group has lost because of the ban.

Jules Lobel, a lawyer for the Center for Constitutional Rights, which is representing ACORN, said the group's rights were violated because the federal funding went into effect before any investigation was completed.

"It's not the job of Congress to be the judge, jury and executioner," Lobel said.
Link
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #400
classicman

One more -

Quote:
State of California’s AG, Brown is a “political animal,” said David Lagstein, San Diego ACORN’s go to guy. Brown is expected to be the front runner for an upcoming California governor’s race, making the ACORN investigation a particularly tricky problem due to the new audio tapes that have surfaced.

If the audio tapes are true there is some profoundly unethical behavior taking place. According to judicial advocates it is not proper protocol to discuss the eventual outcome of an ongoing investigation with the party involved. This is exactly what happened when a call was placed to the State Attorney General’s office yesterday. “We cannot comment on an ongoing investigation,” said a spokesperson.

“A spokesman for Jerry Brown stated that they’re going to look at the tapes, they’re going to follow the facts without fear or favor, and they’re going to see where it takes them.”
That would be a first for a politician!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #401
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Nice, so???

:p
Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #402
classicman

So? so? Are you really asking or ar you playing dumb? Some days I'm not so sure.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #403
Shawnee123

It's a perfectly legitimate response to a posted article: that's straight from you, dude.

No, not dumb, but I play one on the intrawebz.

Always keep them guessing...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #404
classicman

Uh, yeh ok.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #405
Shawnee123

So?

ACORN!!!!!