The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 09-12-2006, 02:48 AM   #76
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
As for dating people your not attracted to physically? Well, that only goes so far. A man asked me out last week and I just COULDN'T. He was so not my type--he smoked heavily, had very nicotine-stained teeth, and, judging by his legs had diabetes in the advanced stage. Does not wanting to date this man make me shallow? Come on, there are deal breakers for everybody. To date this man would have been a lie and that is not where a relationship should start.
How about dating where the object is "attraction neutral"? I don't think anyone was suggesting you have to date someone you are physically repulsed by.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #77
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

You'd have to be careful, if you really aren't attracted to your significant other in any real sense it's going to sneak up on you and cause problems.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #78
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey
How about dating where the object is "attraction neutral"? I don't think anyone was suggesting you have to date someone you are physically repulsed by.
I'm ok with "attraction neutral". The people I shouldn't date are the people I have chemistry with. When sparks immediately fly I should run away. I hardly ever do, though, as that chemistry thing is so damn HOT.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #79
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Right. If you mix up your chemistry notes with your biology notes you'll fail both, miserably.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #80
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey
Not at all... I was saying that you did not have to have that "WOW" factor.
In fact... for some that is a danger signal.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 PM   #81
9th Engineer

There has to be alot of different things thrown in the mix, the greatest of which is probably plain old committment and the ability to self-analyze. I'm having a little run-in with that right now in fact. I've been spending a bit more time with a female friend of mine I met last year, all class and work related stuff until recently. She's really easy to get along with so I enojoy working with her, plus her dry sense of humor is wonderful. Now I never gave much of a thought to anything more, she's extremely tomboyish so I guess I'm a little guilty of treating her more like a guy friend than a female friend. Thing is, I've noticed a bit of a change in the last week. She's dressing a bit differently, she used to show up to study nights in XL WrestleMania Tshirts, now she's dressing more femininly. Not the flashy look-at-me-I'll-give-you-a-free-peek type of college clothing that's everywhere now, but on her any article of womens clothing looks like a radical shift. Plus she's orchistrating little other changes. We ate lunch together for the first time the other day, plus she didn't want to eat it in the crowded cafe dinning room. We found a quieter spot in one of the lesser used hallways nearby. I know this isn't Earth shattering or anything, but it's a very sudden shift to a parallel personal relationship outside of our work life. I'm a college dude, but I'm not stupid enough to miss the glaring total makeover in her body language, style of dress, and persuit of conversations not dealing with enzymes, organ systems, or the like.
Ok, background is out of the way, on the the crux. I'm really not sure if I'm comfortable with getting a whole lot more intimate with her than this because something might come up in a few months that would make all this look like a bad teen movie. Another friend of mine has been having relationship troubles as of late, her boyfriend is kind of clueless, not a dick, but just hasn't figured out that he isn't in highschool anymore. She, on the other hand, has definately moved on. She's in the advanced biotechnology and organ engineering program here and is just amazing in pretty well every other way. Think tall and lithe with jet black hair and hazel eyes. Screems feminine beauty in every way and she's packing major league brains and talent. So now you see the issue, if she breaks up and I've led my other friend to believe we're settling into a romantic relationship it'll end up like a bad teen movie. If I was offered the chance at a relationship with friend #2 I can't see myself not taking it. And no one should ever be the one 'in the interm', even if it was never intended to be that way.

No hijack intended, just started talking and it felt good to be able to look at the situation on paper. I feel like I should write a script or something
Old 09-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #82
9th Engineer

Also, negating this past week my friendship with both friends has been about the same, comfortable and we like each others company (being just about the only guy who will study with her without either making passes or trying to look at her blouse without getting caught is a big plus). Re-reading my post above made it sound like I'm ignoring what's in front of me for what isn't even in my court. Thing is, till now neither was in my court, now it looks like both will the passing through on slightly jogged schedules.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #83
mrnoodle
bent

Friend 1 sounds cooler imho. Friend 2 sounds like a catch, but if you've been reading any of this thread, you know how well "I'll be her shoulder to cry on when she breaks up with the other guy and then maybe we can hook up" works.

Friend 1 sounds like someone with whom you can let a natural relationship develop. Friend 2 sounds like a crush.

If it don't come easy, you better let it go. I believe it was Tanya Tucker that said that.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #84
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
My woman Y found me and thats the best thing that ever happened to me. It is much simpler and a whole lot more relaxing and enjoyable. So much less drama and BS, yet more of the honest, caring intimacy I was looking for. No head games.
Um...how long have you been together?

No, that's not fair of me to be cynical. I just tend to end up with the stong willed type of woman. There's no lack of BS with that combination of me and them.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #85
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
(Naomi Nevill)
There's a certain girl I've been in love with a long, long time.
(What's her name?) I can't tell you. (No!)
I loved Warren Zevon's version of that.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #86
9th Engineer

Point taken noodle. On second thought though, why should I think the changes are aimed at me? Could be another guys she's dolling up for, no sense planning too far ahead until more data comes in.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #87
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Els, yeah that's the version that's burned in my brain.

9th: Dude dude dude dude. Dude.

WTF? #1 sounds like someone that you can be with forever, has already shown that she's willing to meet you halfway, will be able to go camping with you and not get all gacked out by bugs, but can still get tarted up for a night on the town.
#2 is only in college (no put down, just saying) and is already displaying major league high maintence behaviour. She may be hot and she knows it and she seems restless. I'm sure you're all that and a bag of chips, but I get the feeling you and your pal will be able to compare notes if your friendship survives you dating her.

disclaimer: I have a thing for tomboys.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #88
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
9th: sorry, I just read the last part of your post, where you descend into a rational fit of self doubt. Maybe you're right. I bet not though.

Why not next time you see her, give her the look that says she's just made your day, compliment her on how alarmingly stealth she is and suggest you two go for a walk in the park.

If she doesn't respond enthusiastically or has to check her date book, then you know it ain't you and you can go take your chances w/#2.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #89
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Elspode: Um...how long have you been together?

We just celebrated our 1st year together.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #90
rkzenrage

BTW, my wife and I were friends before we dated. Before that, she was a student of mine.