The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

July 7, 2007: Rain forest to charcoal

xoB finds this wire service image of what the caption says is virgin Amazon rain forest logs, and the mud hut ovens they'll be put into to create charcoal. Charcoal!

It's all in Brazil, and it turns out this is one of the biggest consumptions of the rain forest there.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Turning those logs into charcoal is like turning cows into McBurgers... quick and easy for the consumer, but so much wasted along the way.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

when you think you've seen it all....
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

At least the logs don't become single toothpicks like an old Disney cartoon...but it's still a waste.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I remember when I was a kid that the Amazon loses 1 football sized area per day to human destruction.
I don't care if global warming stories are true or not. If you KNOW something is bad for the planet, DON'T DO IT!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
busterb
NSABFD

I'm wondering if this is waste, by-products?? Of the real rape.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From the Washington Post.
Quote:
Logs cut from virgin Amazon rainforest lie next to the nearly 1,200 ovens used to turn the wood into charcoal in Ulianopolis, Brazil. The cutting of trees for the charcoal industry is one of the main causes of the destruction of the world's largest rainforest.
It doesn't sound like the byproduct of logging/lumbering.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Next time you pick up that bag of Kingsford, make sure you thank the gods for it.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I remember when I was a kid that the Amazon loses 1 football sized area per day to human destruction.
I don't care if global warming stories are true or not. If you KNOW something is bad for the planet, DON'T DO IT!
That's it I am calling into work today. I refuse to consume or drive my car... wait, wait, how will I pay the bills, feed the wife and children, heat the house, keep the beer cold, water the flowers, oh hell, forget that.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Much of the charcoal is used to carbonize iron ore to create pig iron, both in Brazil and elsewhere. Another big market is lump charcoal in Europe.
Another bone of contention, is that much of the rain forest clearing is done by slave labor.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Maybe it's the recent Live Earth coverage, but the rain forest site (http://www.therainforestsite.com/) would not load for me this morning. I had the same problem with the hunger site (http://www.thehungersite.com/). I wonder if it's because of all the attention the environment and the problems it is causing with famine are getting in the news.

The breast cancer, child health, animal rescue, and literacy sites loaded ok. Of course, these are the lesser known sites and may never have been as popular.

I've put all of the click-a-day-for charity sites in one bookmark group in Firefox. Every day when I use my home computer it only usually takes 10 seconds to open all in tabs and click on and donate a few square feet of rain forest, part of a bowl of animal food, etc. The donation is paid for by the sponsors. All I invest is 10 seconds of my time assuming I'm on the computer anyway.

If the hunger and rain forest sites are down because of volume, that's both a good and bad thing.

P.S. The hunger site finally came back. The rain forest site is still unavailable.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Maybe it's the recent Live Earth coverage, but the rain forest site (http://www.therainforestsite.com/) would not load for me this morning. I had the same problem with the hunger site (http://www.thehungersite.com/). I wonder if it's because of all the attention the environment and the problems it is causing with famine are getting in the news.

The breast cancer, child health, animal rescue, and literacy sites loaded ok. Of course, these are the lesser known sites and may never have been as popular.

I've put all of the click-a-day-for charity sites in one bookmark group in Firefox. Every day when I use my home computer it only usually takes 10 seconds to open all in tabs and click on and donate a few square feet of rain forest, part of a bowl of animal food, etc. The donation is paid for by the sponsors. All I invest is 10 seconds of my time assuming I'm on the computer anyway.

If the hunger and rain forest sites are down because of volume, that's both a good and bad thing.

P.S. The hunger site finally came back. The rain forest site is still unavailable.
That sounds pretty cool. Is there a clearing house for these kinds of links so people can pick and choose what places they want to "donate" those clicks to?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
That sounds pretty cool. Is there a clearing house for these kinds of links so people can pick and choose what places they want to "donate" those clicks to?
That depends. When it's all working, the sites are tabbed together, so one site usually can lead to the others. I find using the 'open all in tabs' method faster. You don't donate until you click the button, so you don't have to worry about accidentally donating to something you disagree with, although I doubt you are pro-hunger, -illiteracy, -cancer, etc.

OK, maybe I do have a hard time picturing you with the 'free peace dove pin'.
Attached Images

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Today, you and others have generated the value of 338,306 square feet of rainforest land. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
...so you don't have to worry about accidentally donating to something you disagree with, although I doubt you are pro-hunger, -illiteracy, -cancer, etc.
Your view of who I am or am not is at best myopic.