The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 10-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
glatt

The Cellar is a force for good in the world

I’ve been on the Mission and Outreach committee at my church for the last five years or so. It’s the group tasked with deciding how that community is going to do good in the world. We used to give money to a food pantry and fix up houses for little old ladies and things like that. We got a new priest two years ago, and she wanted us to really look at what it means to do good in the world, and examine what we were doing.

We read a bunch of books and talked about it a lot and basically came to the conclusion that the best thing you can do for others is to make relationships with them so that you can reach understanding and have empathy for one another. As a church, that’s really hard. Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hands, sounds good in a song, but really goes against human nature. We’re still trying to figure it out, but have at least started a partnership with a black church of another denomination to just have conversations. We still give money to the food pantry, because there is a need, but it’s really not the ideal way to be doing good in the world, because you injure the self esteem of people when you give them handouts.

So it’s with that lens that I am looking at the Cellar.

2020 has been lacking in an abundance of joyful moments for just about everyone, and that is reflected in the Cellar. Flint was abusive to an annoying new member and really took it too far, like he always does. He’s fully embroiled in the divisive politics of the world. It spills over here in the Cellar. Political discussions in the Cellar are pretty toxic right now. Worse than in previous election years, which have always been a little toxic.

Politics aside, I think this is a really good community and the regular members get a lot out of coming here. We make real connections. We are doing here what my Mission and Outreach committee has identified as being the most important thing.

Last week I fixed my car. I told my wife and daughter and they didn’t care much. I was excited about what I did and wanted to tell people who would care. Who would share in my victory. I came here and talked about it, and Dwellars sat with me. They read my little story and cared. There was empathy.

Think of all the troubled souls who have come here for comfort over the years and found it. And not just troubled souls. People who are happy and sharing their victories or their kids’ victories.

The Cellar is doing good work. Even if there is a lot of noise to look past.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I agree completely.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I told you guys about Ripley before I told my mom.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I cannot count the times I have benefited from The Cellar and the people here.

And I thank each one of you.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I told you guys about Ripley before I told my mom.

I thought about her just the other night.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
Rhianne
Nearly done.

And I remember when direct action by a member here saved the life of another that I think we all loved.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yep.

Not forgotten. Her nor the direct action.

Many thanks, sir.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
And I remember when direct action by a member here saved the life of another that I think we all loved.
QFT.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

This place is bigger than us all.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just told another dwellar this is the only place I have felt comfortable talking about the things I need(ed) to talk about when beest... But it hasn't been the same Cellar recently, and the stuff that makes it unpleasant for me has multiplied significantly . So I get it, but I will miss it. Most of it.

I will not miss old threads being resurrected without purpose other than because the housebound are bored and don't have thought or empathy for those who went before.

I will miss the irreverence. And the judiciously limited use of the ban hammer. The wit. And the "Cellar Car" Spirit. That's what made it The Cellar.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
jaminhealth
Banned

Interesting read Glatt, guess I just joined Cellar way way too late to get the good friendship and now since I'm the "annoying new member" I guess they teach that in your church work.

I think it was you who mentioned "no new members in a long time" and wonder why. And as I said I would have Never found it had one of your members had not invited me here....

I don't belong to any church ANYMORE, and don't need a church to teach me how to be decent to people...I came here with good intentions, and sure was shot down by so many. Peace out Glatt...

Not that it matters but I'm wondering what this ole new member is annoying to you?
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #12
glatt

I know my words were hurtful to you, and I’m sorry for that.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

I thought about her just the other night.

I thought of her recently too.

You guys matter to me.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I just re-read the other lumberthing thread, and want to say thanks again for all of your support. I didn't want to bump that thread, so I'm saying it on this one.

I couldn't find that video her friend did until I saw it in there. I just heard her voice again, and saw her moving. Blessing.

Saved the video and now I have it.

I've learned to play that song, Masterpiece, and am going to play it right now. And maybe cry a little.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Huh. No tears. Somehow it didn't make me sad at all. Must have played it too many times.