The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Mis-pronounciation and dating

This is a purely hypothetical question: Would any of you (and, look deep into your hearts, here) date someone who repeatedly mispronounced common words? (Example: library, especially, data.) Just pretend that you like the person well enough, but they do this one thing. What would you do?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 02-02-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

It would depend on if they did it so much that I thought I couldn't fix it over time.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Are we talking mildly annoying like a Boston accent ("Bahstan") or an extremely annoying like British mispronounciations ("check the shed-u-ool")? Or maybe even that rare person that still retains a bit of baby-speak in their adulthood (Bahbwa Waltahs)?

Day-ta? Dah-tah? Which one?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'm afraid I'd have to go nucular.

No seriously, if this were the woman's only flaw, I'd overlook it. But you could be in a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. "I like this person well enough" is different from "she's everything I ever dreamed of in a woman, except when she goes to check out a book."

Exactly what mispronunciations are we talking about here? I can imagine "liberry", but especially? data? for data you have long A vs. short A, but I can't bring myself to
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Are we talking mildly annoying like a Boston accent ("Bahstan") or an extremely annoying like British mispronounciations ("check the shed-u-ool")? Or maybe even that rare person that still retains a bit of baby-speak in their adulthood (Bahbwa Waltahs)?

Day-ta? Dah-tah? Which one?
Like the British mispronounciations that are cultural. I live in Ohio with loads of Appalachians. I've never heard such strange things--"vomick" for vomit, "twice-t" for "twice", "eXpecially" for "especially", and then there are other things that just aren't words, like "swolled" for "swollen".
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
It would depend on if they did it so much that I thought I couldn't fix it over time.
You can very rarely "fix" something you don't like about another person, especially if they don't particularly think it's a problem.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
Kitsune
still eats dirt

The hypothetical person you speak of has either had a stroke or is a Brit. Either way, they should be checked by a doctor and prepare themselves for long hours with a speech therapist before I would date them.

Living in the South, however, I guess I shouldn't complain. It ain't a big deal.

Attention people from the Pittsburgh area: You put your clothing in the "washer" NOT a "worsher".
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Brits say "vomick"-?? Say it ain't so!

—James Barrie

Old 02-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

not only did i date someone who commonly mispronounced words, i married her. in the beginning i didn't pay much attention, but by the time we divorced i realized that her mispronunciation was tied to her absolute ignorance on just about anything worth discussing.

she was great in the sack though, so that was a tolerable three years.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #10
elf
Yay! We're Dooomed!

Location: Mostly: New York. Most Recently: New Jersey. Currently: Colorado
Both DAY-ta and DAH-ta are correct. I used to be self-conscious about that word, never being able to figure out which was correct because people do say it both ways... but now I say DAY-ta, because that's the way everyone here at work says it that way and it's in the company name. But I had to look it up, and according to Merriam Webster, either way is correct. Unless you say it one way only. Then the other's wrong, I suppose.

I do, however, consider it a personal affront when someone says "ex-pecially" or "axe" (-me a question) or '<i>on</i> accident'. Or if you spell damage with two 'm's. Ungh. The hubby does it on purpose to me just to watch my eyes roll back in my head and the pained expression on my face.

Anyway, I go with the 'it depends on how much you like them' scenario. I overlooked it, much to my advantage. (but he still says expecially by accident every so often)
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

the only "ex" word that really pisses me off is "expresso". if you are pretentious enough to drink the crap, at least be smart enough to say it correctly. Grrrr

Last edited by lookout123; 02-02-2005 at 11:16 AM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
The hypothetical person you speak of has either had a stroke or is a Brit.
The mountain folk were isolated enough in early American history that their speech didn't keep up with the rest of the culture. Many of their quaint pronunciations/sayings are holdovers from English/Early American speech.

*Think cultured English accent for this one*

"We will have to reckon with the consequences."

*Now think Appalacian accent*

"I reckon we could get that done."
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Do the benefits of the relationship outweigh your annoyance? Are other skills of his tongue sufficient to allow you to set aside your distress when he's using it for speaking? If something that inconsequential is causing you that much agita, you might want to rethink some aspects of the relationship.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

I have 2 curious pronunciation stories. When I was in grad school I worked as a TA for a professor of education that regularly said "pubertry" instead of puberty. It was one of those glance at each other and check, did you just hear that?! kinda things. Anyone else heard that one?

The second is another well educated and articulate collegue who says 'continooooowum" instead of "continue- um". And she uses the word a lot, I mean a lot. Maybe that's not such an odd pronounciation, maybe just a baba wahwah kinda thing, but it made me pause...

As far as the dating goes....no, not just pronounciation, but more for content.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
elf
Yay! We're Dooomed!

Location: Mostly: New York. Most Recently: New Jersey. Currently: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
the only "ex" word that really pisses me off is "expresso". if you are pretentious enough to drink the crap, at least be smart enough to say it correctly. Grrrr
Oh, yeah! I forgot about that one!

Pretentious, smreetentious. Espresso is the nectar of the gods.

<small>How else can I become my own vibrator??? </small>

<b>Vzzz!</b>

Last edited by elf; 02-02-2005 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Can SPELL!
elf is offline   Reply With Quote