The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mar 1st, 2016: Yamamoto

Isoroku Takano , born in 1884, was adopted by the Yamamoto family when he was 32, fought with the Navy against the Russians,
went to Harvard, was twice a naval attaché in Washington, DC, spoke fluent English, traveled extensively in the US, studied American
customs and business practices. He locked horns with Tojo, by being opposed the invasion of Manchuria in 1931, war with China (1937),
the 1940 Tripartite Pact with Germany and Italy, and war with the US.

The quote, or rather misquote, came from Yamamoto's warning to Japan...
Quote:
"Should hostilities once break out between Japan and the United States, it would not be enough that we take Guam and the Philippines, nor even Hawaii and San Francisco. To make victory certain, we would have to march into Washington and dictate the terms of peace in the White House. I wonder if our politicians (who speak so lightly of a Japanese-American war) have confidence
as to the final outcome and are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices."
Yamamoto knew Americans well...
Hey Clem, I heard the Japs got Frisco.
Aw crap, after chores I guess we gotta go kick 'em out.
Wonder what Washington says?
Don't matter, grab your squirrel gun and the hounds.

However loyalty and service to the Emperor was supreme, therefore as commander of the Navy Ministry, Naval Air Command,
1st Fleet, Combined Fleet, 1st Battleship Division, Yamamoto designed and led the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Quote:
When asked by Prime Minister Fumimaro Konoe in mid-1941
concerning the outcome of a possible war with the United States, Yamamoto made a well-known and prophetic statement:
"If ordered to fight, I shall run wild considerably for the first six months or a year, but I have utterly no confidence for
the second and third years."

His prediction would be vindicated as Japan easily conquered territories and islands for the first six months of the war until it suffered a shattering defeat at the Battle of Midway on June 4–7, 1942, which ultimately tilted the balance of power in the Pacific towards the U.S.
US code breakers discovered Yamamoto would be flying from Rabaul to Balalae Airfield in the Solomon Islands, on April 18, 1943.
Sixteen P-38s attacked two Jap transports and six Zeros. First Lieutenant Rex T. Barber, killed Yamamoto with two .50 caliber bullets,
one in back of the left shoulder and one in the lower left jaw out above the right eye, said the Jap Navy Doctor at the crash scene.

link

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 02-29-2016 at 11:44 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The role of Yamamoto in the movie will be played by Tiger Woods.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Or Pharrell.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote