The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-14-2004, 12:38 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think people ought to be able to believe what they wish, and be respected by others in the process.

If I gave offense at my take on TPOTC, I apologize. I'm sure that, for the Believer, it must be an awful experience to see the gospels represented in such literal and graphic fashion.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:36 PM   #17
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
You know why Jesus died on the cross?

Because he forgot the safe word.
Ding Ding Ding! Most tasteless Cellar joke award nominee.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
Elspode

I humbly accept this nomination on the grounds that I thought it was one of the most tasteless, yet hysterical, jokes I'd ever heard.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #19
godwulf
Coronation Incarnate

I've always liked the one where Jesus keeps calling to John from the cross, and John keeps trying to reach him but is repeatedly beaten by the guards, etc.; finally, John manages to get close to Jesus, and just before the guards drag him away for a final beating, John says, "Yes, Lord?" and Jesus says, "John...I can see my house from up here!"

Btw, I've heard that the Devil in 'PofC' is scary, but I'll bet he/she isn't scarier than Viggo Mortensen in 'The Prophecy'. As The Comic Book Guy might say, "Best Satan ever!"
Old 04-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #20
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I was discussing it with a friend of mine, and I threw out the following idea that seemed to sum up the film pretty well.

The Passion is like a magnification mirror - you take out what you went in with, enhanced by ten. If you had anti-Semitic feelings inside going in, they were on the outside coming out. Same for people alert for - the uncharitable would say "paranoid of" - hints of anti-Semitism. So on and so forth.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #21
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

What I loved was that there was all these people protesting the movie before they saw it. I saw it in Teaneck, NJ, a town with a very large Jewish population. People were saying, "Oh, it makes us Jews out to be the evil ones!" I said "Did you see the movie?" "Well, no, but we know without seeing it!" It's amazing that these poeple were that stupid, considering that one of them was a rabbi. Yes, some of the high priests were in on the killing, but several were stongly opposed to it. They were promptly ignored. However, the make-up effects were outstandinig, and the camerawork was able to intensify scenes.

Ever notice on some statues of the Christ, there's a sign above his head that reads "INRI"? That means "I'm Nailed Right In".

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:40 PM   #22
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnoodle
I was deeply moved. I don't see how anyone would be "converted" by it, though. If you're a Christian, it reminds you of the pain you caused an innocent man by your sin. If you're not a Christian, it's....welll, it's a 3-hour torture session. It's a 3 hour torture session for some Christians as well.

Oh well, let us have our moment. Anti-christians get the rest of the decade.
From what I remember, the reaction after the initial screening in certain theaters by Christian groups was that they were not overly happy or unhappy with the film. In fact, most of the people that were interviewed said they left the theater in amazement. The tone of their voices told the story: breathless and wonderment. They seemed pleased with the way the film was shot and the acting. And I guess for some, it cemented their faith.

Not sure if I even want to see the film, but I thought the reactions were quite interesting.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #23
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I went and saw it with my very Christian husband last weekend and both of us were crying.

It was graphic, it was a difficult thing to watch, but it was also exactly what it was supposed be: one man's vision of an event.

Most Fundies are seriously pissed that he drew so much from Anne Emmerich's writings. Mel didn't try to say he didn't. Anything not directly from the bible was directly from Emmerich's writings. Mel is unabashedly Catholic, and so is the movie. IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR. For me, I don't know anything about the "stations of the cross" so I didn't recognize it when I saw it.

Just like any other movie, it's all in what you're looking for.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #24
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Mel is unabashedly Catholic
Actually, Mel is oddly catholic. I think they call themselves First Family or some such.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:15 PM   #25
Elspode

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Just like any other movie, it's all in what you're looking for.
Well, maybe...but I didn't see anyone coming out of the last Matrix movie crying about Neo being The One, or that Trinity died to save them.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:58 AM   #26
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I dont really think I want to watch this film. ...I find it hard to suspend disbelief as soon as it involves events I was taught by my teachers to view as history and then discovered were actually up for interpretation.....

I find any movie that takes as it's base an assumed existence of God or an assumption of historical accuracy on events that are unproved difficult to get into. Not just the serious stuff. I found that Jim Carey film fell flat for me for the same reason. ....Just the way I am. I dont mind films where the characters hold a religious belief, I can empathise with them and their belief...I just find it hard to get into a film which needs the audience to assume an existence of God or the truth of those events for the plot to work.

I am intrigued though to know how you guys got along withthe Aramaic? Did it work? Did it heighten the sense of immersion in a time and place?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #27
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Well, DanaC, I feel that the Aramaic and Latin helped the movie. If it had been done in English, I don't think it would have worked too well. (Remember "Robin Hood" with Kevin Costner? Robin with a California accent? "Dude, he swiped yer girl! What a bummer!") TPOTC uses subtitles, but they're onscreen long enough to read them and not lose track of the movie.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #28
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I really think it would not have worked any other way. I thought the subtitles would be distracting, but they weren't.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 PM   #29
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by DanaC
I dont really think I want to watch this film. ...I find it hard to suspend disbelief as soon as it involves events I was taught by my teachers to view as history and then discovered were actually up for interpretation.....
Actually, many names and events and places in the Bible have been corroberrated (sp) by independant sources. A BIG article on this is at www.aig.org (answers in genesis)
Old 05-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #30
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That's true of "Johnny Tremain" as well.

And I suspect you have linked the wrong AIG.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote