The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #16
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Both DAY-ta and DAH-ta are correct.

Yes, but do you use it correctly? As in, "Those data are not correct?"

I never did get used to that and it still gets on my nerves.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #17
elf
Yay! We're Dooomed!

Location: Mostly: New York. Most Recently: New Jersey. Currently: Colorado
Ohhh! Yeah. Ok, I understand. I don't think I've ever come across anyone who said that, so I'll count my little blessings where I can.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #18
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Do the benefits of the relationship outweigh your annoyance? Are other skills of his tongue sufficient to allow you to set aside your distress when he's using it for speaking? If something that inconsequential is causing you that much agita, you might want to rethink some aspects of the relationship.
Good point. My boyfriend mispronounces a few things, such as "idea"--he says "i-dee-er." Coming from most people this sort of stuff annoys the hell out of me, but with him I actually think it's funny and cute. I know part of it is his New York accent (which I also think is adorable) so I almost never correct him. So yeah, I think if you're crazy about someone this sort of stuff won't bother you enough for it to be a problem.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Do the benefits of the relationship outweigh your annoyance? Are other skills of his tongue sufficient to allow you to set aside your distress when he's using it for speaking? If something that inconsequential is causing you that much agita, you might want to rethink some aspects of the relationship.
Well, exactly! But, honestly, this is just a hypothetical kinda question...one I was thinking of as I was doing my morning ablutions. The reason I was wondering was because I used to work in a steel mill and I've heard all kinds of interesting colloquisms/pronounciations/just-plain-made-up-words that I was wondering if I were a big fat snob for assuming things about them based only on their speech. I would never, ever kick a cunning linguist out of bed.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #20
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
The hypothetical person you speak of has either had a stroke or is a Brit. Either way, they should be checked by a doctor and prepare themselves for long hours with a speech therapist before I would date them.

Living in the South, however, I guess I shouldn't complain. It ain't a big deal.

Attention people from the Pittsburgh area: You put your clothing in the "washer" NOT a "worsher".
Heh!!! And here in Philly: It's WAHter ice not WERter ice.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #21
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I would never, ever kick a cunning linguist out of bed.
You and me both, sister! :p
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #22
mrnoodle
bent

My parents are both college-educated and were both teachers. Dad was a college prof, mom taught elementary school until the early 70s. Mom is an English minor. Neither of them can pronounce semi-difficult words correctly. Dad's on a diet where he's not supposed to eat anything with partially hydrogenated oil in it. They both call it "hydronated", but every time they do it, they immediately try to battle their way through a correct pronunciation. It's kinda cute.

The funniest in our family was my grandma (and subsequently my mom) thinking that "lozenge" was pronounced "LON-gen-eez." First time I heard her say that, I had no idea what she was talking about.

Pet peeve - a grown man ordering "pasghetti" in a restaurant.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #23
warch
lurkin old school

Stream of consciousness....
Something I was watching....talking about Jerry Lewis and vegas and the telethon....noting the year/time/moment that "the lozenge" first made an appearance in his act....
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #24
Kitsune
still eats dirt

As my friend from Europe visited, he tried to learn the plant and animal life by reading through some guidebooks and then, in seeing a field of yellow flowers, exclaims, "Wow, look at all the dan-dee-lee-uns!"
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:50 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
As my friend from Europe visited, he tried to learn the plant and animal life by reading through some guidebooks and then, in seeing a field of yellow flowers, exclaims, "Wow, look at all the dan-dee-lee-uns!"
Calling dandelions, "dan-dee-lee-uns" is cute. Saying, "I've got fireballs in my eucharist!"* is just strange. And disconcerting.

*Fibroids in my uterus.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 02-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Pretentious, smreetentious. Espresso is the nectar of the gods.
sorry, that would be Guinness.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #27
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
This is a purely hypothetical question: Would any of you (and, look deep into your hearts, here) date someone who repeatedly mispronounced common words? (Example: library, especially, data.) Just pretend that you like the person well enough, but they do this one thing. What would you do?
As I thought about the question, I thought, "Actually, I would think that it could become quite endearing." Like when Sycamore says "A hunnerd" instead on One hundred...I find it to be cute as all hell.
:p

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #28
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

My husband has several things he 'mispronounces', but the only one that drives me bananas is pellow. for the love of god, it's pIllow. My brother says Ench, instead of Inch. I think the eh- instsead if ih replacement in words is a southern/eastern Iowa thing, and although I grew up here too, I don't (think I) do it. Ugh, I am irritated just hearing these in my head...

Last edited by LabRat; 02-02-2005 at 02:28 PM. Reason: excessive comma usage
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

you know, purely speculative here, but I think if you've married the guy/gal you've obviously overcome the "problem". I am talking about bargaining. Lookout, where are you?

—James Barrie

Old 02-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #30
lookout123
changed his status to single

i am in the valley of the sun. phoenix, arimazona