The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #76
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound

WTF is this shit? Assumptionmatic? Are you MsCleo all of a sudden? You can see all the alternate realities?
Didn't say that, just what I felt could possibly happen. I said "chance", IIRC.

Quote:
By the way, having a black only prize implies that they're inferior to whites and need thier own special little award. Frankly, if I was black, I'd hate that and find it offensive.
That's how YOU feel, which should not indicate how EVERYBODY should feel.

Quote:
I don't get "special" grades on my English papers due to it being my 3rd language or because I'm Russian. If I did, I'd be pissed.
Doesn't take much to get you pissed anyway so why blame it on special grades. :p

Quote:
Oh and here's the other group who have their own special awards: http://www.funfreepages.com/prize/

Academic Achievment awards are always given out based on just that. They were in Australia, and they were in the highschool that I went to (Radnor HS), and get this, we had 2 awards go to black kids without any special rule existing. They were just damn smart and worked their asses off. Oh yeah and I was fairly good friends with one of them...he helped me out on a few tests..
Just because all this happened in your world doesn't mean it's happening all over. There are things happening in various schools that you have no idea about! I listen to a local radio station that addresses the issues of black children in school all of the time, so I hear about it constantly.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #77
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

ladysycamore is a fruitcake in her own little world who thinks everyone owes her something because she black.

She thinks Caucasians don't need any special stuff. I guess she thinks that they're the smartest bunch out there. I'm kinda hurt that she would diss us, but hey, she has the right to he own delusions.

She also has a superiority complex. Since she thinks it, the whole black community thinks it. Hate to tell ya, bitch (since you think that name is empowering), but that's not true.

Last edited by FelinesAreFine; 01-30-2004 at 04:06 PM.
FelinesAreFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #78
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Awright.

Its standard operating procedure for colleges to give preferential enrollment consideration, favoritism if you will, active recruitment, scholarship opportunities to "Legacies" If mom or dad is an allumi, you get the tip. The vast majority of these, for over 100 + years have been lily white. Tilt.
I remember hearing this a short while ago reading about this case (or at least I think it was this case). At the time, I had no idea about the "Legacies". I don't hear anyone saying how unfair THAT is.

Quote:
and another example: My mother, through her ladies circle in a small Illinois town, sits on a society committee that give scholarships to students from that social group/ her community. All recipients are lily white and have been for 100+ years. Tilt.
And you can bet that any changes to that (especially "race"-wise will probably be met with serious reservations.)

Quote:
White churches, Kwanis, Knights of Columbus, social orders and organizations, established over a great many years in, ecomonically rooted and based on our history of white patrimony and dedicated to the education and advancement of young people from their communities give thousand of scholarships each year. The vast, vast majority are white. Tilt.
Tilt indeed.

Quote:
Now you are begrudging the scholarships and "special treatment" doled out at Drexel. Well, I would argue that the investment in the education of those students of color,even if some or several drop out and fail, those that succeed not only enrich your experience, at least broaden it, but they will serve to help establish the community-bases, the legacies needed to offer truly equal educational opportunites. And maybe, eventually your the claim of no favors for the white will ring true. But not today.
Well said warch.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #79
warch
lurkin old school

And my dear, young feline friend, you have the right to your own delusions, and victim complex as well. You should get out more.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:23 PM   #80
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
I had no idea about the "Legacies".
I believe this special treatment helped our boy George W. into Yale.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #81
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
And my dear, young feline friend, you have the right to your own delusions, and victim complex as well. You should get out more.
I do get out. And I'm not a perpetual victim.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #82
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by FelinesAreFine
ladysycamore is a fruitcake in her own little world who thinks everyone owes her something because she black.
Not at all. (the hell?!?!)

Quote:
She thinks Caucasians don't need any special stuff. I guess she thinks that they're the smartest bunch out there.
LMAO, mm'kay....

Quote:
I'm kinda hurt that she would diss us, but hey, she has the right to he own delusions.
What fun! {ScottiefromStarTrek}"She's Brrrrreakin' up Capt'n."{/ScottiefromStarTrek}

Quote:
She also has a superiority complex. Since she thinks it, the whole black community thinks it.
Talk about delusions...baahahahah! Too much!

Quote:
Hate to tell ya, bitch (since you think that name is empowering), but that's not true.
Apparently, it's all in your head. Thanks for playing.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #83
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

Also, if you want to cry racism, why don't you focus on the Mormons? They have a mentality that having black skin is a mark of evil and you will never enter one of their 7 (yes, seven) heavens. Marrying a black person would get you excommunicated. Talk about one fucked up religion. (gag) Also, have you noticed that all Mormons are Caucasian? I'll never live in Utah.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:35 PM   #84
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Actually, Lady Sycamore is an intelligent well-read person who does not think everyone owes her something...and yes, she happens to be black.

Quote:
She thinks Caucasians don't need any special stuff.
Define "special stuff."

Quote:
She also has a superiority complex. Since she thinks it, the whole black community thinks it. Hate to tell ya, bitch (since you think that name is empowering), but that's not true.
She does not have a superiority complex, and is well-aware that many blacks do not agree with her views.

I would strongly recommend that you not post to the Cellar immediately after huffing in the future.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #85
elSicomoro

Quote:
Also, if you want to cry racism, why don't you focus on the Mormons? They have a mentality that having black skin is a mark of evil and you will never enter one of their 7 (yes, seven) heavens. Marrying a black person would get you excommunicated. Talk about one fucked up religion. (gag) Also, have you noticed that all Mormons are Caucasian? I'll never live in Utah.
Hot Pastrami, where are you? Please confirm this.

(If that is the case, Vai Sikahema is in a lot of trouble.)
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #86
warch
lurkin old school

I know! I know!
Here is the story about how civil rights came to Brigham Young University...It was for a love of basketball! from this Mormon info site: URL=http://www.algonet.se/~daba/lds/cdc275.htm (Linkie insertie no workie.)

Quote:
The Church's policy of excluding blacks from the priesthood had stood against all attempts at reform during the civil rights movement. But then things happened to Brigham Young University's basketball program in the 1970s.

During a game at Colorado State University, a Molotov cocktail was tossed onto the court to protest the antiblack LDS tenets. A Stanford University official declared that if the B.Y.U. team ever wanted to play Stanford again, the Mormon Church would have to "reinterpret God's word and establish doctrines compatible with Stanford's policies."

Shortly following this statement, Stanford indeed canceled all scheduled sports events with B.Y.U., not just its basketball games. In fact, the Western Athletic Conference nearly disbanded over the furor.

Additionally, anti-Mormons urged for boycotts of recordings of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the cancellation of vacations to Utah. The NAACP initiated several lawsuits against Mormon Boy Scout troops, charging that church policy was foisting racism on minority Scouts. Worst of all, the IRS suggested that the racial policies of the Mormon Church might justify a suspension of its tax-exempt status.

Several professional consulting firms which the church had previously hired for other matters suggested to church leaders that they reconsider the status of blacks in the Mormon Church as part of a major overhaul of church policy.

Finally, on June 9, 1978, the Mormon President Spencer W. Kimball announced to the Saints that he had received a new revelation which ended the ban on blacks in the priesthood. "That same revelation came to his counselors and to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the Temple, and then it was presented to all of the other General Authorities who approved it unanimously," stated Kimball. This revelation is known to Mormons as The Second Great Accomodation.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #87
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

And the playing field has ALWAYS been slanted toward whites, so if it is slanted now towards "minorites", why is it such a problem now? I know the answer to that, but I'm curious as to what your answer might be.
IF it was a problem for the playing field to be slanted towards whites (and only CERTAIN whites at that ), then it is a problem to be slanted towards minorities.

It does no good to slant the playing field against today's whites to make up for the fact that the playing field was slanted towards people with vaguely the same skin color as their parents.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #88
elSicomoro

Thanks Warch...you're always a good egg.

So, it's pretty much what I figured...this does not occur now. And FAF is again guilty of PWH (Posting While High).
Old 01-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #89
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
IF it was a problem for the playing field to be slanted towards whites (and only CERTAIN whites at that ), then it is a problem to be slanted towards minorities.
"Certain" whites? Please explain.

Quote:
It does no good to slant the playing field against today's whites to make up for the fact that the playing field was slanted towards people with vaguely the same skin color as their parents.
Ok then. What needs to be done to make the playing field equal?

Old 01-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #90
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Its not slanted against. The white opportunities still exist, they are the tradition. (how many white college students and grads do we have in the cellar?) What does affirmative action do? Just ask any first generation black college grad, or native american college grad, or latino grad who is the first of their family to achieve that level of education. It bodes well for positive civic contributions of the next generation. And the next.

Last edited by warch; 01-30-2004 at 05:16 PM.