The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #31
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

from what i understand, taco bell uses soy (for beef anyway) broke my heart to hear that. now, if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go crack open a beer, smoke a cigarette and light up my grill for a well marinated T-bone steak.

Last edited by plthijinx; 12-28-2003 at 07:48 PM.
plthijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:45 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here's one way to avoid the cow. Farm raised Elk, from MO.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 05:30 PM   #33
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune
I don't think I'd want to eat a cow that couldn't move on it's own even if it were otherwise healthy.

You know what they feed cows? Other cows. Specifically, the parts you don't eat, such as spinal cord, etc, mixed with grain.

Its yum-meh.
Argh! Hurray for turkey!!!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 05:34 PM   #34
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Having said all this - to intentionally hype fears with honest facts - now put it all into perspective. BSE and CJ are not consider dangerous. They are extremely rare diseases that make an automobile ride to the grocery store far more dangerous.
I'll take my chances on the car ride, thanks. I look at it like this: I HAVE to drive my car to get to places. I don't HAVE to eat beef.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 01-12-2004, 05:46 PM   #35
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
"vegetarians" who eat fish and dairy make me chuckle.

a lot of what you SHOULD eat has to do with your blood type. I'm type O-. research I've read says beef is good for me. Wheat is bad.

Jinx is type A...veggies and fish are good for her. beef is not.

what i find interesting is that we both like those things (respectively) best.
I believe my type is "O" as well, but it doesn't matter. My diet is pretty limited to this:

Renal Diabetic Food List

And in certain amounts too, along with fluid restrictions.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Why is cream cheese okay but all other cheese not ok? Why is whipped cream okay but every other dairy not ok?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And why peaches, pears and fruit cocktail that are canned but not fresh?
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #38
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Why is cream cheese okay but all other cheese not ok? Why is whipped cream okay but every other dairy not ok?
I think it has to do with the amount of phosphorus that's in dairy, and cream cheese and whipped cream are low in phosphorus (and I can only have a minimal amount anyway, like 2 Tbsp.) High phosphorus is verry bad for renal patients:

The Importance of Phosphorus Control

Old 01-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #39
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
And why peaches, pears and fruit cocktail that are canned but not fresh?
Not sure about that one.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:41 PM   #40
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Fact that makes it all better: BSE can't be transmitted via "muscle cuts" of meat such as... well... STEAKS.

Therefore, from here on out just eat STEAK, and avoid non-muscle beef such as LIVER.

This has been a public service announcement.
Unless it has a bone in it. Nerve tissue around the bone can transmit it.

Oh and hamburger is suspect because various of the dangerous edge cuts get into the mix.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote