The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-15-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

4/15/2003: New Mars rover

I hadn't seen this yet. This is the "Mars Exploration Rover-2", or merely "MER-2". It's scheduled to be launched at the red planet next month, hopefully with better results than NASA has had so far trying to get to Mars.

Assuming all goes well, there are to be two of these, at two different locations, roaming the Martian surface at a rate of one football field per day. Amongst other things, they'll be looking for signs of water in the planet's past. (There was an IotD image about Martian water before...)

Snazzy wheels!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Damn I wish I could get those wheels for my car, boy those would look good cruising the streets.

It's alway exciting when NASA sends something to Mars. Not just becuase of the discoveries that will be made, but just to see how badly hollywood will exploid the Martian Craze that is bound to take the nation.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
Pete
Resident President

Re: 4/15/2003: New Mars rover

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Snazzy wheels!
I noticed that myself. Those hubcaps are definitely form over function. I also wonder about the color coordination. Bright Yellow/Bright Blue. It's even repeated throughout the room. I wonder how much thought goes into that. And how many times these scientists can be quoted as saying "wouldn't it be cool if .."

Are the surgical masks and rubber gloves necessary?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

MER 2 will launch a minimum of ten days after MER 1, which NASA has now had to push back to no sooner than June 1 due to issues with the electronics interconnecting the rover, cruise stage and entry stage.

This summer, Mars will be at its closest approach to Earth than ever before in recorded history. Dust off those telescopes, boys and girls, 'cause we're in for a show this summer!
Old 04-15-2003, 12:45 PM   #5
dasviper
Belt Conveyor

form&function

Things that are well designed for their function will be pleasing to the eye -- it's not a matter of one before/after the other, when done right. Can you think of counter examples? (Things that are designed well for their function and yet not nice on the eyes?) Okay, examples other than the skin on your elbows. That doesn't count.
dasviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Re: Re: 4/15/2003: New Mars rover

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

I noticed that myself. Those hubcaps are definitely form over function. I also wonder about the color coordination. Bright Yellow/Bright Blue. It's even repeated throughout the room. I wonder how much thought goes into that. And how many times these scientists can be quoted as saying "wouldn't it be cool if .."

Not so sure that the wheels are that way just to look cool. If the yellow material is some kind of foam rubber, the 'hubcaps' look like a coiled spring. I'll bet they are designed to allow the foam rubber to be compressed and push-pull back into a round shape.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

In spacecraft design (and these are part of the overall spacecraft design), minimal weight is a goal at every turn. The design of these wheels allow for maximum strength at a minimum weight, as well as allowing them to conform to a wide variety of surface types on Mars. I'm sure that the way they look is the outcome of their functional design, and aesthetics probably are a mere byproduct of the process.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:14 PM   #8
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Re: form&function

Quote:
Originally posted by dasviper
Things that are well designed for their function will be pleasing to the eye -- it's not a matter of one before/after the other, when done right. Can you think of counter examples? (Things that are designed well for their function and yet not nice on the eyes?) Okay, examples other than the skin on your elbows. That doesn't count.
Velcro shoes.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

BLING! BLING!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:57 PM   #10
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Re: Re: form&function

Quote:
Originally posted by blowmeetheclown
Velcro shoes.
Aiieeee! I just watched "One Hour Photo" Sunday. Creepy.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:16 PM   #11
floki
slacking

Re: form&function

Quote:
Originally posted by dasviper
Things that are designed well for their function and yet not nice on the eyes?
Women with an overdimensioned pelvis. From the viewpoint of evolution perfect for having lots of offspring. For most people though not quite pleasing to look at. In former times and even nowadays in different cultures corpulent women are seen as higly reproductive and are therefore favoured. Does anybody know when this "skinny women" trend set in?
floki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
Pie
Gone and done

Re: Re: 4/15/2003: New Mars rover

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

I think they're trying to keep from infecting the Red Planet with terran bacteria, virii, etc. The whole thing is being assembled in a cleanroom. (If we do ship over flora and fauna at some point, they'll hopefully be chosen very carefully...)

Terran life forms are well-known for their tenacity, even in extremely inhospitable environments. So yes, the masks are very necessary.

Definitely going to break out the big 'scope this summer, when I'm in Arizona...

- Pie
Old 04-15-2003, 06:47 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Re: Re: Re: 4/15/2003: New Mars rover

Quote:
Originally posted by Pie

(If we do ship over flora and fauna at some point, they'll hopefully be chosen very carefully...)

- Pie
I vote for kudzu, multi flora rose, and rabbits.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4/15/2003: New Mars rover

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff

I vote for kudzu, multi flora rose, and rabbits.
Lets not forget nutria, which sounds more like a vitamin supplement than a rodent.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Its a rodent. Its a vitamin supplement. Its the vitamin supplement that tastes like rodents.

Lets not forget hemoragic(sp?) fever.