The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Morality

From where does 'morality' come? What is the source of morality? What makes one behavior 'right' or 'good' and another 'wrong' or 'evil'?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Third question first:

Context matters a great deal.

You say "behavior", and I read that as "action". A given action can be right/good in one context and wrong/evil in a different context. I don't know if a non trivial list of actions that are absolutely good or bad can be generated.

First question:

Since I believe that context matters so much, and that requires judgement and discernment, completely intellectual exercises, mental exercises that is, I think the source of morality is our own judgement. Our own heads.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
henry quirk

I like your answer, V...

...but before I weigh in, I'd like others to respond.

Thanks, though...again: nice answer.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you sir.

I think this is a very good question, though likely unanswerable in this form, at least for me. For such questions I face in my life, the absence of context is not an obstacle. This makes the question answerable, though sometimes it is still difficult.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
From where does 'morality' come?
Me.
Quote:
What is the source of morality?
You.
Quote:
What makes one behavior 'right' or 'good' and another 'wrong' or 'evil'?
Whether or not you and me agree.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
JBKlyde
Banned

To be moral one must have a will to be "righteous." Immorality is a conciquence of a lack of "righteous" judgement.
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
henry quirk

Good responses: all.

Thanks!

Anyone else?

JB, would you expand a little on what you mean by "righteous"

Last edited by henry quirk; 11-01-2011 at 04:49 PM.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
JBKlyde
Banned

Doing the right thing. Now if one has no will to do the right thing, he will end up in places like jail. So to be righteous in it's most basic form is to not be a "crook".
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
henry quirk

JB

I hate to be a nudge, but "Doing the right thing": what do you mean?

As I asked, 'What makes one behavior 'right' or 'good' and another 'wrong' or 'evil'?'

V says, "the source of morality is our own judgement. Our own heads.", which I agree with.

Sex says, morality's source is "me (&) you", with the labels of 'good' and 'evil' applied as "me (&) you" agree or disagree. Again: I agree.

I guess I'm looking for something more definitive from you, JB.

Care to oblige?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I would say that morality is a code of conduct.

The "group" decides the conditions of this code of conduct.

Various groups have different, although often overlapping morals.

Groups can be religious, political, cultural, or a larger society.

For example, if I believe that eating meat is "bad", and I find other people that agree with me, then to us, in our group, eating meat is immoral.

Personally, to me, something is immoral if it harms innocent or vulnerable individuals. Rape, child abuse, elder abuse, theft, dishonesty, and assault are examples of conduct that I find immoral. There may be people who believe such acts are perfectly fine, but I won't be a part of any group who believes so. Which is, of course, my choice.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

At its very core, I think our 'morality' and sense of 'right' and 'wrong' is a sophisticated child of social monkey/primate behaviour.

Certain areas of the brain (can't recall exactly which off the top of my head) have developed to operate impulse control, delayed gratification, and 'moral' understanding. It isn't fully developed until late teens, and in some damaged individuals never develops at all.

It's this, I think, that gives us that sense of unease, bordering on revulsion, around some of the people who lack those things (I'm thinking mainly of psychopaths and sociopaths). We instinctively recognise the threat posed to group survival by people who aren't coded to co-operate smoothly. An unfortunate by-product of this instinct is, I suspect, at the root of much of the social unease and stigma around non-threatening mental or neurological conditions.

How each group of humans codifies their particular moral understanding and structures will vary enormously according to the particular social, political, economic and historical factors that have shaped their world and culture. The extent to which that group morality will be accepted and acceded to, or rejected and resisted, by any one sub-group likewise.

But certain core themes seem present across the board. Mostly they seem to be the kind that support group survival. Laws and customs that either prohibit, or reduce the limits of acceptability on, acts of fatal violence. Laws or customs that prohibit or place agreed boundaries around responses to acts of fatal violence. Against acts of theft, or, to borrow HQ's terminology, attempting to take a bigger monkey's bananas without permission. Laws and customs protecting various elements of marriage or partnering, and care of children.

We've added a lot of refinements as our need for organisation and increased co-operation expanded, but that's the core of it I think.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
From where does 'morality' come? What is the source of morality? What makes one behavior 'right' or 'good' and another 'wrong' or 'evil'?
To answer all three at once: Social acceptance, or the lack thereof.

Yer welcome.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

From his comments and questions in several threads, I've come to think HQ basically denies "morality".

"Envy" seems to be his only justification for inter-group dischord,
and this 6th Sin is the problem for the "envy-or", not the "envy-ee"

So, by following a survivalist path, one sets themself apart from all groups,
and, therefore, from criticism or intra-group responsibility.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
JBKlyde
Banned

I think what you missing here is the word "will". Having the "will power" to do the right thing means that ones heart is "motivated" by a passion to be moral. Morality is more of a heart Issue than a Head issue. There are three possible ways a man can think.. with his Head his Heart or His Penis. If you want to be moral you have to think with your heart. My heart is week so I have no real understanding of morality. Except that believing in Jesus Christ makes me righteous enough to make it to heaven. ANd since my Goal is to make it to heaven and take as many people UP with me as possible I will strive to do the right thing.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
henry quirk

Storm, Dana, Grave: thanks for the responses.

Lamp, while you're certainly free to assess me (wrongly, in any thread you like), I'm far more interested in hearing your answer to...

'From where does 'morality' come? What is the source of morality? What makes one behavior 'right' or 'good' and another 'wrong' or 'evil'?'

JB, thanks for the clarification.

Anyone else want to weigh in before I piss someone off (again)?